• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*EPIC THREAD* Major Problems with Coollaboratory Liquid Pro Thermal Compound DEAD CPU

Soldato
I love the fact that these guys have gallium in there product. That goes on a metal surface..

behold GALLIUM

Well so long as you're not ham-fisted with zero aptitude like the OP and go spraying it around near Aluminium, then all should be well.

It's like anything in life, idiots make even the most mundane things dangerous...

Associate
Just read through the entire thread, got a headache now which I'm sure it's OcUKs fault for "supplying" the thread :) . I don't touch this stuff because the risk/reward is way out of my comfort level and the whole "qualified technician" thing, if he went on the courses I did he didn't learn jack, I became a qualified tech without ever applying thermal paste.

Good thing I've been breaking PCs since owning a 486, good to see the staff can get a laugh every now and then as well :D

Soldato
I noticed a big enough difference across the cores when I delidded my 3570k, but not that much of a difference when changing from this liquid metal to that of the GC Extreme paste.
I wish that I had just scraped off the black sealant around the CPU and IHS as I expect that it had a big impact of the closeness of the IHS to the core and thus compromise the cooling rather than it just being the TIM used.

When I passed the 3570k back to my Son I applied a thin and even layer of black sealant to reattach the IHS and the temps increased to the point where I simply removed the lid and the black stuff and the temps went back down to something more reasonable.

I prefer to use the GC Extreme, once warmed up a bit, as the corrosive and conductive properties of this liquid metal are made far worse if it gets into places where it shouldn't...! Cleaning it off is a challenge as well...!

Soldato
Has anyone tried the Liquid Ultra version of this stuff? I've applied it three times now and every time it hasn't worked.

It's been applied exactly as shown in their video and looks identical to how they recommend, but each time I've tried it temps under load are about 20 degrees higher than with a standard TIM.

I'm just about to strip it down and get rid of the third lot and I'll probably not bother with it again, but I'm interested as to why it hasn't worked for me.

Associate
I can see how you might spill some of the metal on the circuit board. I made the mistake of trying to apply CLP with the CPU in place and since it was on a slight incline it almost rolled off the die. Luckily I noticed and did the rest of the work with the CPU removed.

It wasn't as hard as I expected - I used a q-tip with a slight amount of alcohol added to spread it. Once it has started to 'grip' onto the die it's not too difficult. For some reason I just can't get it to work on the heat sink - stays as a ball of metal and just won't spread.

Results are well worth the effort - prime95 caused a steady temp of 81° before (AS5) and now it has dropped to 73-74°. Intend to replace the dual core Arrandale i5m with a quad core Clarksfield i7m. The i7 has an extra 10 max temp rating so hopefully when I apply CLP to it, the temp increase will be kept under control. I'll repost when the cpu arrives. I'll see if I can get some screen shots too.

Very impressed with CLP. I'd absolutely recommend removing anything you're applying it to from the motherboard and anything else with exposed circuits. it was easier than I expected, given some of the things I've read on various sites.

Dell latitude e6410
i5 560m Arrandale processor (Soon to be i7 740qm Clarksfield)

Soldato
I can see how you might spill some of the metal on the circuit board. I made the mistake of trying to apply CLP with the CPU in place and since it was on a slight incline it almost rolled off the die. Luckily I noticed and did the rest of the work with the CPU removed.

It wasn't as hard as I expected - I used a q-tip with a slight amount of alcohol added to spread it. Once it has started to 'grip' onto the die it's not too difficult. For some reason I just can't get it to work on the heat sink - stays as a ball of metal and just won't spread.

Results are well worth the effort - prime95 caused a steady temp of 81° before (AS5) and now it has dropped to 73-74°. Intend to replace the dual core Arrandale i5m with a quad core Clarksfield i7m. The i7 has an extra 10 max temp rating so hopefully when I apply CLP to it, the temp increase will be kept under control. I'll repost when the cpu arrives. I'll see if I can get some screen shots too.

Very impressed with CLP. I'd absolutely recommend removing anything you're applying it to from the motherboard and anything else with exposed circuits. it was easier than I expected, given some of the things I've read on various sites.

Dell latitude e6410

First post, and you revive this thread! :D

Soldato

Dell latitude e6410

how the heck did you pick this post to start posting on :D Good Work

Associate
Haha exactly! I found this thread while looking for info on CLP and the OP's posts gave me solid entertainment while i stress tested to check the new temps. In retrospect its probably a good idea to do research like that before you buy and use a product but meh.

The post before mine was at the start of this month - its not exactly thread necromancy at Lazarus levels!

I also felt it might be useful for other people who want to use CLP but are not sure, to have another counter opinion to the 'special' OP who should be kept away from CLP/U... And probably sharp objects also.

Back
Top Bottom