Poll: Erik ten Hag Sack Watch & Next Manchester United Manager?

To sack or not to sack

• Total voters
Oh look, we did need this thread after all. Who would have thought…

It appears there has been a fairly limited brief to the Man Utd journos that he’ll remain in charge for the next 2 games, but it sounds a bit weak.

Ultimately INEOS made a complete mess of their first big decision since joining the club. It was obvious to almost everyone that Ten Hag wasn’t a good fit, and the new owners obviously agreed, leaving Ten Hag in the dark and openly searching for a new manager to replace him. They’ve come in and aggressively rung the changes at all levels of the club, yet this was a disastrous oversight; the manager is the most important figure, and they should have got a new one. Their one defence is that it was early days and the new directors and executives weren’t officially in place - something Berrada and Ashworth both mentioned recently.

For people to ignore an entire seasons worth of games and want to keep him for an FA Cup win was madness, a competition where we were quite literally millimetres away from being knocked out by a lower league side at Wembley.

I don’t think Ten Hag has ever come across particularly well. His communication style is very unclear and strange - compare this to his compatriot, Arne Slot, who is much more relaxed and clear when he speaks. He doesn’t seem to know what his tactics are, and nor does anyone else. The players don’t seem to like him. He’s looked consistently out of his depth.

Of course, as usual, the players are to blame too. Many do not apply themselves well enough, they are mentally fragile. There is some quality within the squad though, we’ve seen before how a mental shift can make all the difference, even with a lesser manager like Solskjaer.

Tuchel is the simple answer. He’s an elite manager who is available and would join although they weren’t able to find an agreement in the summer. However, he seems a bit of a difficult character too and isn’t exactly known for expansive football. Others, like Amorim, would be great, but that would likely need to be in the summer. I like Thomas Frank too, obviously his top level experience is limited, but he seems to have a big personality and his teams play very much on the front foot, even against the best teams.

I think Amorim, but likely a pipe dream. Also, I like the idea of Tuchel as he’s PL proven, but it wouldn’t last, even if he were to change his mind.

Tuchel would be amazing, he'd be fighting with the owners and nutting the last 3 kitchen staff you have left before the season ended :cry:

Tbh the same names available now are exactly the same that were around in the summer when you decided ten hag was the right man for the job, so yeah wouldn't surprise me if he does get the boot and you go for one of those.

Last edited:
There was a lot of wishful thinking from some Utd fans over the summer. The FA Cup win covered up just how terrible Utd were last season. 8th flattered them and there wasn't a cat in hells chance that Utd could go from where they were to anything respectful in one summer with ETH still in charge. Once the owners made it clear they didn't fancy him they had to make a change. I can understand not wanting to make a change for the sake of making a change and waiting for the right man but in that case don't make it public knowledge that you think ETH is useless and want a new manager. ETH's position was undermined and there was always going to be speculation over his position. Short of Utd winning their first 10 games, as soon as Utd dropped points questions over his position would be asked and as it happens, Utd's form hasn't improved from last season.

I mentioned it in the spoilers thread, with a loss away to Villa next weekend very possible, Utd's chances of CL qualification via the League are already looking unlikely and with the upcoming International break, that could be ETH's last game.
I think Amorim, but likely a pipe dream.
In respect to convincing him to join or Utd wanting him. He was whoring himself out all last summer for the Liverpool, Chelsea and even the West Ham job. At one point all the Portuguese press were convinced he was going to be offered the Liverpool job

In respect to convincing him to join or Utd wanting him. He was whoring himself out all last summer for the Liverpool, Chelsea and even the West Ham job. At one point all the Portuguese press were convinced he was going to be offered the Liverpool job
Convincing him to join, but I’m basing that on being genuinely confused about what went on with Amorim over the summer from a rumours/press perspective.
He was supposed to be this dead cert for Liverpool, as you say, then turned them down (did he actually do that?) yet was poking around elsewhere too. It was all a bit odd.

It still feels like whoever goes in eventually will have much the same sort of success that every previous manager for the last 10 or so years has had, even with me trying (desperately) to have faith in Ineos.

Something has to give at some point, surely?

Last edited:
Convincing him to join, but I’m basing that on being genuinely confused about what went on with Amorim over the summer from a rumours/press perspective.
He was supposed to be this dead cert for Liverpool, as you say, then turned them down (did he actually do that?) yet was poking around elsewhere too. It was all a bit odd.

It still feels like whoever goes in eventually will have much the same sort of success that every previous manager for the last 10 or so years has had, even with me trying (desperately) to have faith in Ineos.
The stuff about him being close to joining Liverpool came 100% from the Portuguese press and then after that fell through he was talking to West Ham over their job (which he didn't get too). You don't turn Liverpool down and then go for the West Ham job. The Liverpool press pack reported that he was one of the names we looked at but was never close to being offered the job. I think it's pretty clear, just like with 1000 different players each summer, he was being whored out in the Portuguese press, talking up a move to Liverpool to flush out interest from elsewhere. If Utd go for him, beyond agreeing compo with Lisbon, I don't see any issue with you getting him.

It appears there has been a fairly limited brief to the Man Utd journos that he’ll remain in charge for the next 2 games, but it sounds a bit weak.

Ultimately INEOS made a complete mess of their first big decision since joining the club. It was obvious to almost everyone that Ten Hag wasn’t a good fit, and the new owners obviously agreed, leaving Ten Hag in the dark and openly searching for a new manager to replace him. They’ve come in and aggressively rung the changes at all levels of the club, yet this was a disastrous oversight; the manager is the most important figure, and they should have got a new one. Their one defence is that it was early days and the new directors and executives weren’t officially in place - something Berrada and Ashworth both mentioned recently.

For people to ignore an entire seasons worth of games and want to keep him for an FA Cup win was madness, a competition where we were quite literally millimetres away from being knocked out by a lower league side at Wembley.

I don’t think Ten Hag has ever come across particularly well. His communication style is very unclear and strange - compare this to his compatriot, Arne Slot, who is much more relaxed and clear when he speaks. He doesn’t seem to know what his tactics are, and nor does anyone else. The players don’t seem to like him. He’s looked consistently out of his depth.

Of course, as usual, the players are to blame too. Many do not apply themselves well enough, they are mentally fragile. There is some quality within the squad though, we’ve seen before how a mental shift can make all the difference, even with a lesser manager like Solskjaer.

Tuchel is the simple answer. He’s an elite manager who is available and would join although they weren’t able to find an agreement in the summer. However, he seems a bit of a difficult character too and isn’t exactly known for expansive football. Others, like Amorim, would be great, but that would likely need to be in the summer. I like Thomas Frank too, obviously his top level experience is limited, but he seems to have a big personality and his teams play very much on the front foot, even against the best teams.
As I've said before what's the belief/logic in INEOS being able to turn things around? There is no guarantee. They will make mistakes, let's just hope they don't make too many. They've also sanctioned the new hires who don't look all that great either. Early days yet of course but it could be a long decade ahead.

It's easy to change manager, not so easy to change the squad.

As I've said before what's the belief/logic in INEOS being able to turn things around? There is no guarantee. They will make mistakes, let's just hope they don't make too many. They've also sanctioned the new hires who don't look all that great either. Early days yet of course but it could be a long decade ahead.

It's easy to change manager, not so easy to change the squad.

I don’t know what they’ll be like, but they have appointed some good people and are unlikely to be worse than the Glazers (who are unfortunately still there, let’s not forget).

I’m not going to judge them yet, but they’ve initially botched the call on the manager and are paying the price now.

He'll certainly have to show that he hasn't "lost the dressing room" in the next two matches.
I'm not sure you can really substantiate that. He was rated as one of the best up and coming coaches in Europe and had a reputation for attacking football. The fact that he hasn't been able to implement that is his responsibility but not necessarily all his fault. Most of us seasoned supporters know there has been a degree of dressing room toxicity, player power and no strategic direction from. Ineos appraised his performance, looked at alternatives and made a decision. For all we know they interviewed Tuchel and didn't think they could work with him in the way they want to work with a coach. You also can't completely devalue the two trophies.
That's the cup for you. Games pivot on small things, Red cards, VAR decision etc. Admittedly it was particularly difficult to watch to watch.
He did ok at Ajax but yes he has a stubborn streak. Carl Anka wrote a good piece in the Athletic about Twente and ten Hag's time there which gives you an insight into his drive and mentality.
I think it can take you so far but the game is very technical and tactical now. It's not enough to just have good players and tell them to just go out and play. The mental fragility and lack of strong on pitch leadership is an ongoing issue. I've said for a long time I don't like Fernandes as captain. I didn't think Maguire was a good enough footballer to be captain. The United shirt weighs heavy on many.
I don't see the attraction. What has he won? Which elite club has he steered to success. He's also often surrounded by controversy. As I said earlier, I suspect he was looked at and they decided against going that way. I don't know who else is a candidate as I don't follow the other leagues.

I'm keen to understand why Sunday was so poor in the first half. I saw some signs of hope up until that match, albeit with some weak results. What's for certain is that he has to get two performances out of this group that prove that the players will play for him and can follow instructions. 2 wins and he survives for now. Personally I think the board has a responsibility to the club to sack him if it looks like top 4 is gone. It's a bad start but not quite terminal.

I'm not sure you can really substantiate that. He was rated as one of the best up and coming coaches in Europe and had a reputation for attacking football. The fact that he hasn't been able to implement that is his responsibility but not necessarily all his fault. Most of us seasoned supporters know there has been a degree of dressing room toxicity, player power and no strategic direction from. Ineos appraised his performance, looked at alternatives and made a decision. For all we know they interviewed Tuchel and didn't think they could work with him in the way they want to work with a coach. You also can't completely devalue the two trophies.

I should perhaps have been clearer - I was talking in terms of the summer review. I thought hiring him initially was a good call, but we don't really know what a manager is made of until he's thrown into the maelstrom that is Man Utd, and unfortunately he seems to have struggled in every area. Doesn't mean he's a rubbish manager, he may go elsewhere and do pretty well.

Reading between the lines and what the press have been told, if he doesn't beat both Porto and Villa then he'll likely be gone. We're in that situation now where things are seriously bleak, in recent years, has a manager ever turned this sort of situation around at a club of this size? It feels like curtains to me.

Interestingly a lot of people thought Graham Potter on MNF was almost interviewing for the Man Utd job. He struggled at Chelsea which does have some parallels with Man Utd, so that would be a concern - but he was highly rated before that.

Ten Hag should be sacked simply for the whole Antony debacle

Literally forced Man UTD to spaff 80M or so on the guy and now rotting on the bench

The man (Ten Hag) is absolutely deluded

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom