Essential Android Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
No multitouch = no use :)

Is multitouch something that's planned for a future release? If not then why are they bothering? We already have opera mini which is (at times) a good alternative to the stock browser and opera mobile is going to include it...

Man of Honour
Are any of the ereader applications really any good with decent titles?

The one I usually see people talking about is Laputa, but does it really have decent content? Is there anything Kindle-like in those regards?

Associate
I don't know of any commercial ebook market for Android. There are a bunch of readers like Aldiko and FBReader that can read all the common formats BUT only the unencrypted books. Many of the markets that sell books prefer to enable the encryption on the ebooks and none of those can be read currently by Android ebook reader software.

Soldato
Skyfire (browser) 2.0 beta is in the Market now if anyone wants to try it. Has HTML5 support I think.

was going to ask if anyone has tried this, I've just been 'playing around' with it. been trying to get the iplayer shows to play on it, finding that 5live seems to be working but none of the tv shows(live or otherwise).

guess I should be happy that 5live is working, been trying to find a radio app that plays 5live and 5live extra(beebplayer doesn't do 5live & 5live extra due to some legal issues).

would have like the tv shows to work as beebplayer videos seem to be quite low res.

been trying other explorers(dolphin, opera mini and skyfire) as there's one website I go on that has a chat box which just shows loading...(I think it loaded at least once but doesn't seem to now), opera mini loads the box but when you try typing something it doesn't add it to the chat box. the other browsers doesn't load it(even skyfire).

Soldato
I recommend trying Android Mate. It lets you manage all your apps in it,as well as view all your files plus it has an app installer for any apps you have on your memory card that haven't been downloaded from the market.It also has a dialler on it! Very useful indeed.

Associate
Appmanager will backup your apps to your SD Card, though not any settings. One click batch backup and also can do a differential version of the backup only.

I wish there was a free version of locale. I just can't see me paying $10 for it.

Soldato
Anyone got the name of a nice wee widget to turn the mobile network (data) on and off?

I have one for the wireless but cant find one at all for the data!

Soldato
I didn't notice there is one that comes with the phone

If you add a widget and select settings they are all listed in there?

Last edited:
Soldato
was going to ask if anyone has tried this, I've just been 'playing around' with it. been trying to get the iplayer shows to play on it, finding that 5live seems to be working but none of the tv shows(live or otherwise).

guess I should be happy that 5live is working, been trying to find a radio app that plays 5live and 5live extra(beebplayer doesn't do 5live & 5live extra due to some legal issues).

would have like the tv shows to work as beebplayer videos seem to be quite low res.

been trying other explorers(dolphin, opera mini and skyfire) as there's one website I go on that has a chat box which just shows loading...(I think it loaded at least once but doesn't seem to now), opera mini loads the box but when you try typing something it doesn't add it to the chat box. the other browsers doesn't load it(even skyfire).

if you open up beebplayer then press menu you can set the quality to wifi (42mb) quality rather than the 3g which is 23mb. Does mean you can sometimes end up with a couple of pauses though if the 3g doesnt download fast enough. but i imagine from a wifi connection it will work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom