Essential Android Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weird, I installed a userscript program on chrome on pc for my custom forum icon and now it has shown up on my tablet...

602302143.jpg

ADW is an old school launcher based on android 2.x whereas nova/apex etc. are 4.x based... I know ADW had a facelift recently but it's still not a patch on nova imho.

Running ADW in an S3 is like buying a Lamborghini and trying to run it on steam!

ADW is an old school launcher based on android 2.x whereas nova/apex etc. are 4.x based... I know ADW had a facelift recently but it's still not a patch on nova imho.

Running ADW in an S3 is like buying a Lamborghini and trying to run it on steam!

Oh of course having used apex \ nova extensively on both my S2 and S3 I obviously have no idea what I'm talking about.

:rolleyes:

ADW is where it's at, once you get used to doing things a little differently it's brilliant.

Oh of course having used apex \ nova extensively on both my S2 and S3 I obviously have no idea what I'm talking about.

:rolleyes:

Ahhh, I see.... no one else is allowed their opinion which differs from yours then? :confused:

There really isn't a lot in it these days, it is all down to personal choice. All the top launchers run smoothly and have a bunch of features. Just try them all out. Personally I just can't get enough of go launcher it does everything I want and just looks sweet. Plus it's totally free.

153325268.png

Last edited:
I can't help but find go launcher a little too bloated with unnecessary features, millions of animations etc... but again, it's all personal preference isn't it

Plus with it being 2.x based as well as adw, you don't get the widgets in the app drawer (or has this been updated since I tried it last?)

Last edited:
idk, never tried to put a widget in there and don't think I would ever need to. I don't find it bloated at all. I Look at nova and adw etc and the screenshots all look the same. I think one of the things I like most about go launcher is adding containers to icons which gives it a more... Jesus my brain has failed me... I cannot pull the word i want out... There's less of a jumble of different icon types.

I have no idea if the other launchers do that. Transitions are good to.

Maybe list the benefits of using nova over stock, what do you find wow about it?

idk, never tried to put a widget in there and don't think I would ever need to.
No, not the notification window, the app drawer - you know, when adding widgets to the homescreen?

Skyfall said:
I don't find it bloated at all. I Look at nova and adw etc and the screenshots all look the same. I think one of the things I like most about go launcher is adding containers to icons which gives it a more... Jesus my brain has failed me... I cannot pull the word i want out... There's less of a jumble of different icon types.

I have no idea if the other launchers do that. Transitions are good to.

Maybe list the benefits of using nova over stock, what do you find wow about it?

I find Nova much faster/smoother and more responsive to swipe/scroll actions than others. It makes it more of a pleasure (almost) to navigate around.

Plus you still have the widgets in the app drawer that I mentioned before - as older launchers can't support this unless they're built upon a 4.x base

It really is all about preference isn't it, I mean Apex is nearly a clone of Nova, but there's just something about Nova that pulls me back, such as the glide up/down animation when hiding/showing the dock :) - the little things!

The big thing I always hated about Go is that you can't hide the dock and have it as an overlay so you can recover the homescreen space lost behind it.

I used to be an avid user of launcher pro and then go and then apex and now nova! :p

Have tried the ADW launchers out before but have never been as impressed with them!

Screw launcher pro since the developer did a runner and has constantly lied about this "rewrite", this launcher use to be the best by a country mile but now pretty much every launcher out there is far better than it by a massive margin.

Go was great and still is nice but personally also find it too bloated these days, although the widgets are superb!

Apex and nova are very much the same, little differences here and there and this is why I use nova instead now:

Nova works much better for me on the whole, smoother (the micro stutter in apex especially when scrolling back in the app drawer is annoying [may have been fixed in recent updates though.....]) and certain things work better/implemented better like the stock JB icon pack (with apex, you have to install a theme pack from the market and even then some icons aren't applied properly where as with nova the JB is implemented and themes all the icons properly) and most importantly with apex when scrolling on the homescreens sometimes the widgets would get glitchy artefacts, again it may have been fixed with recent updates though. But I don't see any reason to move from nova for now...... as with the V2 update, the main things that I missed from apex have been included i.e. infinite scroll in app drawer and keep in memory.

Another launcher that is well worth checking out is holo launcher HD, very similar to apex and nova, although last time I tried it, there weren't as many features (this was about 2 months ago though!)

screen adjuster

I don't think root is required....

It's a really horrible app, it's just an overlay on the top of the screen which looks pretty horrid most of the time. I tried it when I wasn't 100% happy with my Nexus 4.

To do the job properly you need root and an app made specifically for a device.

Nexus 4 Display Control

This is how to do the job properly, I use this one to great effect!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom