Essential Android Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a really horrible app, it's just an overlay on the top of the screen which looks pretty horrid most of the time. I tried it when I wasn't 100% happy with my Nexus 4.

To do the job properly you need root and an app made specifically for a device.

Nexus 4 Display Control

This is how to do the job properly, I use this one to great effect!

Ah, haven't tried it myself as I am happy with my 1S screen calibration :p It has got good reviews though :confused: Majority are probably by clueless people though! :p

Has anyone else had a play with Lightning Launcher? It's a really light launcher which has transformed my old Desire Z. I really didn't realise exactly how much of an impact some of these other launchers were having on my phone's speed and responsiveness. Lightning is also quite unusual in that you can pinch zoom/reduce pretty much everything and you have screens not just to the left and right but both up and down too.

I used ADW Launcher EX on my Nexus 7 and Nova on Nexus 4.

It's a really horrible app, it's just an overlay on the top of the screen which looks pretty horrid most of the time. I tried it when I wasn't 100% happy with my Nexus 4.

To do the job properly you need root and an app made specifically for a device.

Nexus 4 Display Control

This is how to do the job properly, I use this one to great effect!

Why would you pay for an inferior app that doesn't have nearly as many features as the free Trickster Mod app, that supports a number of devices?

Besides, if you wanted full control over the colours of your device, get something that has gamma adjustment support:

lU2wZIo.jpg

Last edited:
Why would you pay for an inferior app that doesn't have nearly as many features as the free

I had never seen the other apps with this functionality, they look nice will check them out. Thanks.

I have been using Franco kernel for some time now so I hardly feel ripped off spending £1.60 on his app, I think Ill just about manage to sleep tonight.

Is there an App that can work off 3G, or cache at home on Wifi and gives street to street directions when walking somewhere rather than driving? I've cached google maps which is great but has no directions, and used google navigation but not to sure how that copes on a 3G connection when out and about walking.

Is there an App that can work off 3G, or cache at home on Wifi and gives street to street directions when walking somewhere rather than driving? I've cached google maps which is great but has no directions, and used google navigation but not to sure how that copes on a 3G connection when out and about walking.

How about something like Viewranger?

You can download 1:25000 OS maps and it will follow your route using GPS, so you don't need to be in range of a 3G transmitter at all, if that is the sort of thing you are after.

It might at least be worth a look anyway.

Erm... Google Maps works great on 3G, takes very little data, can navigate or just give directions for walking a route. I'd be surprised if there was anything better.

**EDIT** Ah, sorry, when you say works off 3G, you mean without 3G.

Sorry... that wasn't very clear, what I meant to say in my reply was that it uses GPS, so doesn't need a mobile signal.

Although you have to pay for them ViewRanger can use OS 1:25,000 Ordnance Survey Maps, which of course show footpaths and tracks etc which are not always shown on Google Maps.

Well I live in Birmingham and it will just be for when I have to go out of the office at work and find peoples houses, I don't drive so have to get the bus. I don't mind using 3G, but would prefer if there was one without so I don't get lost if I lose the signal :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom