Essential Android Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously it will come down to how much white is being displayed and at what brightness etc.

But it is pretty obvious that white does use considerably more power on SAMOLED thus it is going to have some effect on battery life considering the screen is the biggest drainer on any phone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OLED

While an OLED will consume around 40% of the power of an LCD displaying an image which is primarily black, for the majority of images it will consume 60–80% of the power of an LCD: however it can use over three times as much power to display an image with a white background such as a document or website.[68] This can lead to reduced real-world battery life in mobile devices when white backgrounds are used.

And again if SAMOLED phones are doing crap compared to LCD in the browsing test on gsmarena's site then it does play a very large part.

As for blue, well supposedly that is the second worse colour for power consumption on SAMOLED screens, however, the blue used in google music is pretty dark, I imagine they mean the more bright blue i.e. sky blue etc.

My point wasn't about the white being used in google music or how long you have google music opened etc., simply replying to your comment about the "general" power consumption of white:

The whole 'white uses more battery' is overplayed in my opinion.

My point wasn't about the white being used in google music or how long you have google music opened etc., simply replying to your comment about the "general" power consumption of white:

Then honestly, I'm not sure why your going to such great lengths to show white uses more power, as I never said it didn't. My comment wasn't about "general" power consumption of white.

It was commented someone wouldn't want to use this version as it was white and that uses more battery. My point is, they're being over cautious. In a full days use, this change would not be noticeable in battery consumption.

Last edited:
Dont know why, but i always prefer to do my nandroid backups when the phone isnt booted up so no apps or processes interfere with it.

PS. How does Google go about saving user pictures? Does it have a service where it syncs user photos to the cloud as part of the "back up to my google account" ?

^^^ it sucks - still getting low res contact pics on JB. It syncs photo with contacts.

Im getting high resolution pics.

With JB if you set the photo on the phone it will remain a high resolution one until you happen to wipe. It will then restore a low resolution on from Google Contacts.

A solution for this is to use:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.oxplot.contactphotosync&hl=en

Add all your pictures through that, and that adds another entry to Settings > Accounts. If you wipe your data, Android will restore from Google Contacts first and then when you reinstall Contact Photo Sync, that will get all the high resolution ones.

With JB if you set the photo on the phone it will remain a high resolution one until you happen to wipe. It will then restore a low resolution on from Google Contacts.

A solution for this is to use:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.oxplot.contactphotosync&hl=en

Add all your pictures through that, and that adds another entry to Settings > Accounts. If you wipe your data, Android will restore from Google Contacts first and then when you reinstall Contact Photo Sync, that will get all the high resolution ones.

Not the case for me.

90% of my contacts pic's i done in Gmail on the computer. The other newer 10% i done on my phone and after restoring my phone the other day, after a mess-up, i still have high res contact pics. I've even removed my Google Account on the phone and re-added it and i still get high-res contact pics...

The latest android uses 720x720 resolution i believe.

Last edited:
I've truely given up the contact picture issues. half of mine have no pics and half have low res pics, I've sycned google and facebook etc etc tired of faffing around with a bunch of different crappy apps to try fix it. I'll wait on android 6.0

Not the case for me.

90% of my contacts pic's i done in Gmail on the computer. The other newer 10% i done on my phone and after restoring my phone the other day, after a mess-up, i still have high res contact pics. I've even removed my Google Account on the phone and re-added it and i still get high-res contact pics...

The latest android uses 720x720 resolution i believe.

That is really weird... I've done the exact same thing before, but every time the phone was wiped it restored low resolution images from Google, even though I had sat there for hours adding high resolution photos for my contacts via GMail.

I've truely given up the contact picture issues. half of mine have no pics and half have low res pics, I've sycned google and facebook etc etc tired of faffing around with a bunch of different crappy apps to try fix it. I'll wait on android 6.0

Try the application I mentioned :)

That is really weird... I've done the exact same thing before, but every time the phone was wiped it restored low resolution images from Google, even though I had sat there for hours adding high resolution photos for my contacts via GMail.

All your contact pictures are saved in https://picasaweb.google.com/home

Check the folder there to see if they really are high res.....

Any good keyboard apps for text messaging on the S3? I'm after auto correct (having to press the correct spelling of the word is really annoying me), plus the default keyboard doesn't have a comma in the main bit. Having to go into a separate menu is daft.

Any good keyboard apps for text messaging on the S3? I'm after auto correct (having to press the correct spelling of the word is really annoying me), plus the default keyboard doesn't have a comma in the main bit. Having to go into a separate menu is daft.
Disabling voice input solves this - it replaces the mic icon on the keyboard with a comma. However, I find that the voice input seems to enable itself randomly :-s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom