Essential Android Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
it is usless without saved maps, i may use it round town or for walking, but will still use my sat nav in car,
although it would render the use of stand alone sat navs obsolete is it also fair to hold back a product like that because of this issue?? i do understand both sides of the argument, but saying you cant have this just because just seems stupid

trying out sniper now lol.. ah i got a bit optimistic about this one!

Last edited:
Soldato
And how much data did it use?

Havent the foggiest (no data counter)

To people worrying about net usage -

I bought a smartphone which is built for internet use of some sort as a major component so I have unlimited internet on mine

If I was worried about that I would still have my older phone and not do anything but call/text.

I seriously cannot understand anyone buying an Android phone and then worrying about using the internet... May as well not have bothered.

Associate
For maps, would scrolling through the route while at home on wifi work, or does it not have a large enough cache?

There's a quote from a Google Engineer that says it caches the route at the start. So you could do it at home and no need to worry about losing 3G in the countryside.

"Google Maps pre-caches the entire route," said Mobile Maps product manager, Steve Lee. "It needs a data connection when you ask for navigation. But while driving to your destination, if you intermittently lose the connection, it will still carry on. As long as you stay on the route."

Source

Soldato
Ignoring the fact I got the phone for free, I'm happy to pay £400 pounds for a satnav that includes telephone calls, SMS messaging, mobile internet access, camera, a media centre, wifi, and software that is expandable through an app store :p

Well great - nice one.
However 99.9% of Desire owners will actually have to pay for their handsets.

Soldato
I'm on 4.1.1 but i can't see the option to navigate.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Is there anyway to try it when stationary?

Soldato
Anyone who has a smaller 3.5 inch screen like me should check out Smart Keyboard Pro big improvement on the default keyboard in general symbols in particular, but the T9 keypad in portrait is a life saver, easy one handed typing and for me a hell of a lot faster than trying to hit those really small qwerty keys.

Also, a little tip for anyone using the default on-screen keyboard which I overlooked: If you're missing keys a lot and typing the wrong words go into the settings and tick the "Auto-Complete" setting, it's like magic.

Edit: Portrait, not landscape.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've read online that the Desire doesn't work with most apps on the appstore because they are protected content and Google haven't authorised the handset yet despite it being a month later. Not that impressive really! Can anyone confirm this?

Soldato
I'm on 4.1.1 but i can't see the option to navigate.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Is there anyway to try it when stationary?

If you go through the motions of getting directions to a location/address, you'll see the button which will say 'Navigate'.....click this and away you go. First time i used it i had to install the voice app but it directs you to download that.

Soldato
I've read online that the Desire doesn't work with most apps on the appstore because they are protected content and Google haven't authorised the handset yet despite it being a month later. Not that impressive really! Can anyone confirm this?

This is true. Saying this, i've never once had an issue with any apps i've installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom