Euro Truck Simulator 2 worthy of purchase

Commissario
I'd forgotten just how big the map on ETS2 is compared to ATS which I've been driving. It's a lot more fun to drive because there are so many places to go but it still doesn't feel quite as polished as ATS which is bonkers seeing as they're really the same thing.

I do have a very large fleet of drivers working for me in ETS2 and it's really nice to have enough cash coming in that after every few shifts of driving and sleeping, it's possible to rock up into a new town, buy a garage, upgrade it to large and fill it with five new lorries and drivers. I used to make the effort to manually edit their levelling to maximise returns but I just don't bother now and they're all on balanced. I can't imagine it'll be long before I'll be able to do this after every journey, providing I end up in a town with an available garage which means that really, I'm at end-game, there's nothing more to do really but it's still fun to drive around and look at the scenery.

Soldato
I feel like I'm in the minority who actually follow the truck speed limits in each country. I even follow the trailer speed limits if they're lower than the road speed limit :D

Commissario
I keep within the car limits.

Be very careful with mods which change the price of fuel and therefore the economics of the game. I've looked at them but I think that if you remove them, you have to revert back to pre modded saved game versions.

I've been driving a Volvo since I started and now I'm thinking it's time for a new truck.

Soldato
I keep within the car limits.

Be very careful with mods which change the price of fuel and therefore the economics of the game. I've looked at them but I think that if you remove them, you have to revert back to pre modded saved game versions.

I've been driving a Volvo since I started and now I'm thinking it's time for a new truck.

The new Scanias are lovely, but you'll need a decent resolution with 300% or 400% scaling to read the dashboards properly, otherwise you'll be too close to the dash to see the "real" mirrors.

Commissario
The new Scanias are lovely, but you'll need a decent resolution with 300% or 400% scaling to read the dashboards properly, otherwise you'll be too close to the dash to see the "real" mirrors.
5120x2880 decent enough? What does the scaling actually do, I've never changed it from the default and it's currently set to 60%.
I'll go and buy a new garage and punt this Volvo off to a new driver and then take a look at a Scania. Are you talking a stock truck or an add-on?

Soldato
5120x2880 decent enough? What does the scaling actually do, I've never changed it from the default and it's currently set to 60%.
I'll go and buy a new garage and punt this Volvo off to a new driver and then take a look at a Scania. Are you talking a stock truck or an add-on?

Yea that's pretty epic! Scaling set to 100% means the game is rendered at the resolution the game is set to. So, 100% for you means the game would be rendered at 5120x2880 and then displayed on screen. Running at a higher scaling means it's rendered at a higher resolution, then scaled down to fit the resolution the game is running at. 200% would be 2x the size, 300% would be 3x the size etc. I've found that running at 1680x1050, I've needed the scaling set at 200/300% to make the dashboard digits readable. If you're running at 60%, then the game is rendering at 60% of your resolution, then scaling up to display on screen.

Yep, stock trucks of the new Scanias, which is the "Scania R" and "Scania S". Scania S is slightly taller with a flat floor in the cabin, while the R is the same as the previous gen, with the hump in the middle to accommodate the engine.

Commissario
@squerble I bought a Scania and have just completed a run of over 3,000 km in it from Scandinavia down to Italy. It's OK but I don't like the driving position very much. In the Volvo, I could easily keep myself central on the road, it felt natural. As I'm driving the Scania, my natural position puts my right side wheels (I'm driving LHD) pretty much on the line. To drive central, it feels as though I'm over the left line, it's very odd.

I'd have thought that after driving that distance that I'd have got used to it but I really haven't.

Soldato
@squerble I bought a Scania and have just completed a run of over 3,000 km in it from Scandinavia down to Italy. It's OK but I don't like the driving position very much. In the Volvo, I could easily keep myself central on the road, it felt natural. As I'm driving the Scania, my natural position puts my right side wheels (I'm driving LHD) pretty much on the line. To drive central, it feels as though I'm over the left line, it's very odd.

I'd have thought that after driving that distance that I'd have got used to it but I really haven't.

Have you tried adjusting the seating position? It's in the main menu, I usually have to fiddle with those to get a decent position.

Soldato

Ah fair enough - I'm a personal fan of them anyway! Like @Matteysan says, you can adjust the seating position, but press F4 while you're driving, it's one of the "quick" adjust things.

Commissario
I didn't try that so I'll give it a go - I do generally adjust the mirrors through that screen so I know it's there. I wonder if moving the seat will feel odd and not central against the steering wheel. I'll try it though and see how it goes. If it doesn't feel right then I'll go back to the trusty Volvo.

Back
Top Bottom