Europa Universalis IV

Soldato
Humanist is almost never the way to go, unless you happen to have particular national ideas or religious bonuses which stack significantly with it. If you are thinking of taking Humanist, most of the time you are much, much better off taking Religious and converting the provinces instead.

Soldato
Guys, I wrote the following suggestion at the EUIV forum and if you find the idea interesting, please support it :)

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...h-without-a-final-treaty-like-hoi-iv.1100717/

Basically asking for a peace treaty screen at the war end similar to HOI IV. Is stupid not getting nothing but favours as minor ally having taken great hit to manpower and finances trying to win the war for the stupid AI.

In this instance as Portugal, saw Castile getting badly beaten by Granada-Morocco-Tunis and when asked for help, I joined it.
At great cost beat the armies, occupied whole Morocco, and then I got 25 favours at the end. If I had pulled a peace treaty half way the war, Morocco was willing to give me half it's country, while Tunis was ready to hand me over 3 provinces. At the end ended up with 25 favours, 0 manpower (even drag from the Nobles estate), and 150 ducats in debt.

I am new to the game, but surely something like HOI IV peace treaty screen could make sense in EUIV.

Associate
Well my Siena campaign ended quite abruptly, started off going really well as the Papal State excommunicated Florence and gave me claims on their land... unfortunately they were allied to Savoy and a few smaller nations who just sat around for 80+ years doing nothing. I was hoping Savoy would get in a war of their own so they'd not be called in to protect Florence but no such luck.

I think I'll give it another go with a restart tonight and see if I can get some better luck with the RNG alliances for the region.
If it flops again I might try a Morroco game or give one of the countries in the far east a spin.

Guys, I wrote the following suggestion at the EUIV forum and if you find the idea interesting, please support it :)

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...h-without-a-final-treaty-like-hoi-iv.1100717/

Basically asking for a peace treaty screen at the war end similar to HOI IV. Is stupid not getting nothing but favours as minor ally having taken great hit to manpower and finances trying to win the war for the stupid AI.

In this instance as Portugal, saw Castile getting badly beaten by Granada-Morocco-Tunis and when asked for help, I joined it.
At great cost beat the armies, occupied whole Morocco, and then I got 25 favours at the end. If I had pulled a peace treaty half way the war, Morocco was willing to give me half it's country, while Tunis was ready to hand me over 3 provinces. At the end ended up with 25 favours, 0 manpower (even drag from the Nobles estate), and 150 ducats in debt.

I am new to the game, but surely something like HOI IV peace treaty screen could make sense in EUIV.
Would need more detail on it the Hearts of Iron IV peace interface to support an idea to replace the current system in EUIV, I've never played HOI so am unfamiliar with how it's handled differently in that one.

Soldato
Would need more detail on it the Hearts of Iron IV peace interface to support an idea to replace the current system in EUIV, I've never played HOI so am unfamiliar with how it's handled differently in that one.

At the moment ONLY if you have the Cossacks DLC and you receive the call to join the war, you have to go to the diplomatic map and set areas of interest before you accept to join.
Which land you will get if you contributed enough, according to AI Ally who called the war, and the AI doesn't have interest on those provinces.
Otherwise you get favour which is worthless, because on the first trouble the AI will pull out of the alliance and dump you. If you didn't manage to pull a peace treaty before the AI ended the war.

On HOI IV, when you win the war, the Peace Conference screen shows and you have some points. Using those points you can annex, puppet etc. OK on HOI IV the points are a lot.
But on EUIV it could be restricted similarly to war score and like as if you were going to make the peace treaty on your own.

Google search "HOI IV Peace Conference" to see how the screen is looking. Is pretty simple, and is done with the same engine EUIV is using. So nothing difficult and out of the capabilities of the game engine.

Last edited:
Soldato
I agree with better settlements for helping allies. I've just wrapped in my France game as every few years another ally picks another stupid fight and eexpect me to win it for them. I went from 1st to 9th in score as for 100 years I've stagnated supporting stupid war, after stupid war. The reward is some favours and a little prestige and gold (the gold being a hundredth of what I've spent if I'm lucky)

Starting a game as Tunis and see how that one goes.

Soldato
I agree with better settlements for helping allies. I've just wrapped in my France game as every few years another ally picks another stupid fight and eexpect me to win it for them. I went from 1st to 9th in score as for 100 years I've stagnated supporting stupid war, after stupid war. The reward is some favours and a little prestige and gold (the gold being a hundredth of what I've spent if I'm lucky)

Starting a game as Tunis and see how that one goes.

You can uncheck the join offensive wars box if you want to stop them using you like that.

Soldato
You can uncheck the join offensive wars box if you want to stop them using you like that.

That's not the solution. A better solution like the one in HOI IV is needed, because I tried the Cossacks pre-emptive claim and it only works if your ally who instigated the war is not YOUR neighbour.
Otherwise the AI going to have always claims to their neighbour they attack, and they wont give you land.

Soldato
The favour system is OK, I find it best to not have too many allies and instead focus on getting good vassals as much as I can. Especially when I am big enough to push people around.

Don't forget if you have favours you can call your allies in to a war where they will help you out and expect nothing in return, so you can get 100% of the warscore for yourself. Yes sometimes you will fight and not get anything, but you can always accept the call to arms and not actually go fight anyone as well.

Soldato
That's not the solution. A better solution like the one in HOI IV is needed, because I tried the Cossacks pre-emptive claim and it only works if your ally who instigated the war is not YOUR neighbour.
Otherwise the AI going to have always claims to their neighbour they attack, and they wont give you land.

I was just pointing out that if he doesn't want to get dragged into offensive wars that he's not going to get anything out of, there is an option to do it.

Soldato
Really wish there was an option to lower upkeep for individual armies as opposed to your whole army. So annoying having to keep upkeep high for a potential rebellion when only 1 army could sort it.

Soldato
Really wish there was an option to lower upkeep for individual armies as opposed to your whole army. So annoying having to keep upkeep high for a potential rebellion when only 1 army could sort it.

When you have the manpower and economy later on, then I recommend actually lowering autonomy sometimes to get the rebellion to fire quicker and get it out of the way.

Also you can drill your armies that aren't suppressing rebellions, I often forget to do it :9

Soldato

Yup, this one is kind of annoying, especially since that functionality exists for fleets. As above though, if you are able to, firing the rebellion sooner is generally to your advantage.

Soldato
I've got about 70 years left of my Ottoman game, they are easy compared to most but done pretty well. Took all of south eastern Europe up to Austria, mamaluk territories, into southern Russia and pushed most the way east toward India.

Got scandanavia out of their junior status with Denmark and they've blobbed hugely and reach all the way to China. Allied with them and we dominate most in wars, just an uneasy stand off between me and Scan then France and Commenwealth who own huge amounts of territory.

It will probably never ignite and I'll continue to chew into Africa until finish.

Back
Top Bottom