Europa Universalis IV

Man of Honour
I've been playing CK2 for the last few weeks and just can't find the depth in it. I spend most of my time waiting to fabricate claims.

I've been looking at getting this instead for my strategy fix.

I can thoroughly recommend EU IV in that case. It offers a perfect blend of war game, political diplomacy and world conquest. The only thing i would say is that you need at least a few of the DLC, and these are pricey together. I've got them all now. But it took a while to get there.

Soldato
I lied earlier, turns out I have 70hours in EUIV!

Going to start it again tonight and have to learn the game all over again. I think I gave up last time because I colonised most of south america as portugal and then they turned against me. Then I got confused with tile/area development stuff and just gave up :o

Soldato
Sweet, I actually have Art of War and Common Sense on my steam wishlist - just got to wait for a sale! Not paying full price.

edit: I have Wealth of Nations/Conquenst of Paradise and Res Publica.

Soldato
Yeh I've watched loads of his videos, although his tutorial videos are a few years old now!

Loads of changes in the game recently compared to when I last played about 6 months ago. Things such as the estates and missions.

Soldato
Yeh I've watched loads of his videos, although his tutorial videos are a few years old now!

Loads of changes in the game recently compared to when I last played about 6 months ago. Things such as the estates and missions.

True, but he's got a few play-throughs running most months.

"EU4 Schizophrenic Sovereignty" was really, really good. I played along with that and will pick it up from time to time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeSPKFgrBQ0&list=PLH-huzMEgGWCzWL_xAaS6zPmmN3XW8zXG - 142 videos!

Associate
Along with watching Arumba's videos for learning the game, I'd also recommend Quill18 as he's another decent teacher for the game and like Arumba often explains what he's doing while he plays.

I've been doing a very slow game lately starting as a custom nation of Iceland, slowly chipping away at England when they're busy with France with my allies of Scotland and Munster.
Not expecting to become a giant nation by the end of this game, just a little challenge to see how long it'll take to fully conquer the UK & Ireland land mass.

Soldato
Sorry but had to drag you here, before mods start deleting out posts in the Imperator thread :D

I was leaning towards EU4 anyway so I think this seals the deal.

I’ll also pick up enough DLC to get me to the £30 mark for the additional discount and then see how I get on, I can then decide if to go with Imperator and if so which version.

Knowing my self like I do it won't be long before I'm on the slippery slope of buying up all the DLC though :D

Good choice. EU4 is a great game, sucking my playtime since last April. Make sure you buy the 3 DLCs proposed as these are must.
As for the rest DLCs well.... You will buy them eventually.......by end of next week. :D Mind my words.

Is the only game which repeatedly over the course of a whole month, sent me to sleep at 6am in the morning which I was playing since 2-3pm the previous day.
And talking about this. If the Grand Lan party is again this year I am going. Seems worth the experience :D

If you do not know what I am talking about, watch the series.... (currently episode 14)

Yes, on some episodes, disputes about treaties between players are resolved with real swordfights. :D

Associate
Ha, appreciate that, I was conscious the Imperator thread was going off on a bit of a tangent.

I’ll most likely have them all by the end of the Lunar sale lol, I’m already calculating how close to 15,000 tokens and another £5 off I’ll be.

Realistically I’ll probably play as England once I have a bit of an understanding of what’s going on, so may add the Rule Britannia pack to the ones you’ve recommended.

I’ll check out the Grand LAN party when I get home from work :)

Do you have any recommendations for a good nation to start my first game with?

Soldato
I think the Ottomans are a good starting nation to help you get to grips with things. You are a powerhouse in your area, you have lots of targets for expansion.

Lots of fun nations to play as though :)

Soldato
Ha, appreciate that, I was conscious the Imperator thread was going off on a bit of a tangent.

I’ll most likely have them all by the end of the Lunar sale lol, I’m already calculating how close to 15,000 tokens and another £5 off I’ll be.

Realistically I’ll probably play as England once I have a bit of an understanding of what’s going on, so may add the Rule Britannia pack to the ones you’ve recommended.

I’ll check out the Grand LAN party when I get home from work :)

Do you have any recommendations for a good nation to start my first game with?

Castile is the best nation for new players. Is powerful on her area, you learn about marriage mechanics and Personal Union, annexation of vassals etc. And it's wars are easy against Granada, Morocco, Tunis. Which you need to keep in check, not expand upon. You have more important thing to do like colonization as soon as fast.
Followed by England, assuming you do not plan to fight the 100 years was and give up Maine at the start. If you try to fight the 100 years old, you start with severe handicap and the looming War of the Roses. So give Maine to France and create Great Britain. For now....

Do not play Ottomans like @HungryHippos says. Is sacrilege, heretical and should call upon you a war on the forums..... because Deus Vult :D

And for you @HungryHippos you should listen the whole track as penance for suggesting Ottomans. :D

Soldato
Think you get better options as the Ottomans myself if you like going to war. Portugal may be an easier option than Castille for a beginner as you can just buddy up to Castille and focus on colonising.

Man of Honour
Castille seems super easy since the latest patch, especially with the PU over Aragon and Naples. Hell, I've even see an AI Castille take all that and then get a PU over France> Absolutely hilarious :)

Ottomans has always been a good starting point for anyone learning the ropes. If you want the impossible game, try Byzantium :D

Soldato
Castille seems super easy since the latest patch, especially with the PU over Aragon and Naples. Hell, I've even see an AI Castille take all that and then get a PU over France> Absolutely hilarious :)

Ottomans has always been a good starting point for anyone learning the ropes. If you want the impossible game, try Byzantium :D

Byzantium is impossible indeed, and the only way to pull it off, is to be very very experienced, follow a certain path of alliances and actions, and be very lucky. Which means you might need to restart 10 times to find the favorable alliances and enemies conditions. :/

Soldato
India is a really good place to play for noobs, there's not one major power spoiling things, but there's three 'powerful' tags on the sub-continent, Vijay, Bahamanis and Jaunpur and several mid range powers Bengal, Delhi, Gujarat etc, and some formable nations to aim for.

Associate
I'm about 100 years in to my first campaign as Castile, taking things fairly slowly whilst I try and understand everything that is going on, but loving it so far!

One question on colonization though, England have formed a colonized nation (I think that what it's called) in a region that I need to hold 5 provinces, is there any way to take provinces in that area now?

I managed to get 4 provinces before it happend so I just need 1 more to complete the mission.

Most of the land is unclaimed but I believe there a penatlies if I try and colonize them, there is a local tribe holding a couple though so am I right in thinking I can go to war with them and get the additional province that way?

Man of Honour
Yes, plenty of ways. As England are competing for that territory you would be best off spying on England and laying claim to the province in question. Then the next time you go to war with them make sure you capture that province and request it in the peace treaty. You can colonize multiple provinces at once but it costs a lot of ducats, unless you have exploration and expansion.

If you are still catholic and England are catholic you will get the treaty meaning that domain is exclusive to you, if you create the colonial nation before anyone else in that territory. This means if England then try and build a nation next to yours, they will be excommunicated. Sometimes it is worth rushing colonies in order to hit that 5 limit first. They will then expand on their own and pay you tribute in the mean time.

You could also declare on the tribal nation and capture that province providing it borders your colonial nation. But remember the tribal nation and federations can be quite strong in number, and you are a long way from home, so you would need plenty of men to fight them.

Back
Top Bottom