Europa Universalis IV

Soldato
Ref above I wonder why Portugal chose to vasalise Granada? Location perhaps? Religion? No cores? Curious decision.

I play Portugal. On all my previous games as Portugal (having hundreds of hours with this country) did the same mistake. Annexed Granada, and nothing was stopping Spain to be formed and at one point in time it would war dec, and annex me, having even 200 diplo allies refuse to join. Because the allies Portugal makes are other nations expanding at the colonies, and the AI is always one mission away from hating or rivaling you (Portugal).

So having looked at the conditions to form Spain, decided to vassalise Granada asap before been annexed by Castile and that also mean breaking truce also.
A Muslim nation does not own a province in Iberia region.

Somehow even if is not in the conditions, the Iberian Wedding didn't fire either. And of all my 1000 hours in the game, this is the first time the wedding wasn't triggered by 1530. (others observed that also)
And that's the cut off time for the event. Now at 1615 Castile/Aragon can only try gobble each other, and still cannot form Spain because of Granada.

And why it matters to keep Castile. Castile to Spain the difference is huge. The latter has very very strong ideas and events, allowing to gobble all the colonies, and half Europe east of France.

Associate
And to those who might question how Spain hasn't formed yet, is because Portugal, has Granada as vassal with Muslim faith. That prohibits the Iberian Wedding to fire, and Castile even if it gobbles the whole Aragon cannot form Spain.

I've just started a Poland campaign but Portugal is next on my list, definitely going to give this a go to see how it affects Castile.

As much as I love EU4, one of my only gripes is that Spain always become so poweful towards the end of every campaign with their vassal swarm.

Soldato
I've just started a Poland campaign but Portugal is next on my list, definitely going to give this a go to see how it affects Castile.

As much as I love EU4, one of my only gripes is that Spain always become so poweful towards the end of every campaign with their vassal swarm.

You must do what ever it takes to keep even 1 Muslim province of Granada in Iberia. Spain will never form with it's powerful ideas and missions.
Break the truce with Granada of all it takes. As long as Granada isn't allied to Morocco it will be easy first war.

Further advice regarding Portugal
-Try to take Morocco's provinces in the Seville trade node.
-Feed all other territories to a new vassal in Morocco which you will create.
-Do not go all out war with Morocco alone, if Castile cannot help.
-If Aragon has rival Castile but not you on the first day of the game, ally Aragon.
-Marry to England and as soon as the timer expires cancel the alliance. You cannot afford been dragged to wars with France.
-Make France your ally at all cost.

-Get Exploration & Expansion ideas first, followed by Quantity, Influence, Quality.
You will have a lot of huge colonial vassals making gazillions from trade.

-Maintain a balance on tech. Better spend some Monarch points to improve Porto & Lisbon than having to pay thousands to corruption due to unbalanced research.
Stock pile to maximum before new idea group is unlocked. But spend military points on new tech if you go to war and you are behind.

-Colonize Canaries asap. Followed by the West African province. Attack one of the natives in North side of South America to get a foot hold

Then continue to the 10 development provinces in Caribbean. The islands north of Colombia will do. Expand with 2 colonists to Brazil and 1 in North side of Mexico.
In Brazil there are natives. Attack them and annex them. They will speed up your claims to Brazil. Make sure you colonize to the area around Rio, since there is a mission.
In Mexico, colonize the coastline moving North to Louisiana. Ignore North America completely.

Give subsidies of 2 ducats for 400 years to Caraibas. Your colonial nation in the Caribbean. Help them to gain foothold in Cuba & Haiti & Jamaica. It will be one of your strongest colonial nations and vassals in the long term.
Followed by your Mexican vassal when you gobble the Aztecs and Maya on it's behalf.
Use your army to purge the areas you colonize from the native. The population is low. 500-1000 ain't worth the trouble.
Pick the extra colonists option when you open the fist colonist.
Here you need to do asap to have open the 2 modifiers from age of discovery. The one that is special for Portugal giving extra colonists and the one that gives +3 development (1/1/1) to new colonies.
With those 2 plus the other modifiers you will out-colonize the rest 3 to 1 at the start. Paramount to get more colonies. Hence Humiliating vassal and big capital need to be done the earliest as possible.
If Temcen is alone, make it rival and go for humiliation & money. The easiest to pull, since you do not want lands etc and it will disappear fast.

While colonizing and not at war do not train your army. Set maintenance to 0, and pay the penalty to have more new colonies building than colonists.
When you open south Africa with your explorer. Start colonizing there. You will need 5000 troops stationary in the area with full maintenance by then.
Your colonies in Africa & Asia should be assigned to trade companies.
Make sure you do not purge the African colonies. The 500-1000 natives areas are OK to do, but the big ones with 4000-5000 population a big no no.
They will boost the colony for free.

Expand to the islands east of Madagascar, Australia, Timor. Do not have attached neighbour area any of the countries there if you plan to attack them. Especially the island nations in Philippines.
Expand to California, use your European armies to break apart the Aztec nations and when times comes, go for the "Concede <X> colonies" instead of picking the areas.
Only if a nation is big enough you have to pick the areas. Start with gold.

-Advisors. Keep them balanced until Tech 5 where you get the first idea. Then push everything to Administration, until you open Quantity. When you do so, move everything to Military until both Quantity idea group is fully unlocked. And you balance them like that between Admin & Military all the time.

-Use your merchants efficiently. Take the one out of Tunis and post him to Seville. Use 2 light ships on Safi node the rest on Seville node.
When you start getting Merchants from colonial nations & Trade idea group (it worth to pick it on Portugal) set routing properly. Eg on east Africa steer trade through Ivory coast not Alexandria by setting it manually.

Hope that helps. Wars etc in Europe do are you please. Pray France remains Catholic and not go Reformed.
If you fight Castile with Aragon, take Seville & Cadiz and the Canaries. Break the country apart by releasing nations. (Leon etc). Pick also the colonial nations in the peace treaties if any.
And do not forget to embargo your rivals. On Seville node you can screw Morocco, Granada at the start. Tunis, Castile and anyone else later on.

Associate
Awesome - thank you, will definitely be giving this a go once I've finished the Poland campaign, which may be sooner rather than later if it goes horribly wrong like it did last night :)

Soldato
I've put 80ish hours in EUIV and now about 10hours in CK2 (got the entire collection for £15 with humble bundle).

I know the general consensus is that CK2 is the better game but I just can't get into it at all. Maybe it's because I played EUIV first.

I'm going to start a new game, either as Portugal or Castille and try my best to actual make it to the end date, i've never finished a game before :p

Soldato
Panos, do I need anymore DLC or am I ok with what I currently have:

Conquest of paradise
Res Publica
Wealth of Nations
Art of War.

Plus looooooooads of unit packs that came as a bundle when I initially bought the game.

Soldato
Panos, do I need anymore DLC or am I ok with what I currently have:

Conquest of paradise
Res Publica
Wealth of Nations
Art of War.

Plus looooooooads of unit packs that came as a bundle when I initially bought the game.

You are fine :)
I've put 80ish hours in EUIV and now about 10hours in CK2 (got the entire collection for £15 with humble bundle).

I know the general consensus is that CK2 is the better game but I just can't get into it at all. Maybe it's because I played EUIV first.

I'm going to start a new game, either as Portugal or Castille and try my best to actual make it to the end date, i've never finished a game before :p

You haven't completed the CK2 tutorial yet? :D

I've just started Portugal too because of Panos :D

:D
Portugal is my favourite country. Half my play time in EU4 is spend there, yet always something becomes pear shape, as is a tough country to play.
And every time I say going to form Brazil and play with it, always feel sorry for Portugal putting all that effort to make the colonies. lol. :D

Last game, both Castile & Aragon got PU by France, while Aragon was constantly a rival or at war with France. Cannot understand when France managed to sneak a wedding there :D
And lost the Aragon succession war because I was foolish and greedy enough not to pull a white peace with France but wanted more. In just 20 days the war was lost, as the Pope was allied to France and even excommunicated me to make matters worse.

Soldato
I'm not bothering with any exploration with my Portugal playthrough. My aim to is to take and convert as much as North Africa as possible, it's harder than I thought it would be.

Luckily I can just keep dragging Castille in to fight my wars :D

Associate
I think Portugal is one of the few major countries that I haven't played as yet.
I seem to spend most of my time either playing as a minor nation in the middle of the HRE blob, down near the Ottoman border or on the opposite side of the world.

Soldato
I'm not bothering with any exploration with my Portugal playthrough. My aim to is to take and convert as much as North Africa as possible, it's harder than I thought it would be.

Luckily I can just keep dragging Castille in to fight my wars :D

Don't. Portugal is about colonization and should be your top priority as you have bonuses to double the colonization rate compared to anyone else.
With the tiny country you have, you can be the biggest super power by 1615 if you colonize fast. Just take from Morocco the provinces to Seville trade node, and make a big vassal of it to feed it.
Next one up focus on boosting your Colonial nation in Mexico by gobbling Aztecs & Maya and defending it from the revolts for the first 100 years. Its sheer size and power, can be compared to France & Burgundy, combined.
Similarly Caraibas your Caribbean colonial nation, would the be second biggest and in par of a medium size country like Austria.

And Influence idea group is a boon for Portugal as you will get ridiculous amount of money from the colonial nations, especially those sending you treasure fleets. And here you need ships on all trade nodes to hunt pirates. Because is the different between getting 350 gold windfall every 6 months or 100 gold.

I think Portugal is one of the few major countries that I haven't played as yet.
I seem to spend most of my time either playing as a minor nation in the middle of the HRE blob, down near the Ottoman border or on the opposite side of the world.

Try Kongo. One of the fun nations to play, which is pretty strong from the start for snowballing.
Just attack Kilwe with a no CB war fast, to gain CB for the whole of east Africa, before it goes and allies countries like Mamluks.

Soldato
Yeh I've played Portugal as a colonist country before and fancied something different. Its surprising fun trying to take Africa!

The problem with Africa is not highly developed, has the wrong culture & tough to purge religion.
And you need to pick Humanist or Religion as the 2nd idea group after exploration, forfeit expansion to 4th trait. (3rd trait is always military).
And that gameplay isn't that different than play with Castile or Aragon.

What is an interested play through with Portugal, is to form Brazil and play as Brazil.
It has some pretty interesting stuff :)

Soldato
Yeh I agree, I’ll take a screenshot once I’ve finished this game and show you how I’ve done.

I’ve NEVER got to end game before, I’m determined to do it this time haha

Soldato
Yeh I agree, I’ll take a screenshot once I’ve finished this game and show you how I’ve done.

I know what you mean. Have come close to "end" date with Russia but was bored at the end due to the big war with Ming, just 1 year before end.
Have hit end date with US (from UK released the 13 colonies and played as such) and France on one of the most difficult games were had to fight coalition after coalition.
Italy came close but got bored around 1700s.
All the rest something goes truly pear shape by 1650, which annoy me and start over :D

Soldato
France has completely gone from my game :eek:
They were beat up by England, Castille and me.

Great Britain are huge now, have the UK, France, Canada and Brazil :eek:

Associate

Strangely every nation I've played as so far I have gone all the way to the end, I'm not sure how many hours I've played so far but it must be 400+ and I'm only on my 7th different nation (actually 8 if you include my failed Teutonic Order to Prussia attempt(s)) - I guess I'm just a bit weird like that :)

In my current Poland campaign I noticed Castile lost a a lot of provinces in a war with France and Aragon, also Granada still existed (not sure if they were releasd), so had high hopes that Spain would not form and become as dominant as they usually do, however Spain did form and when checking Granada they had changed religion to Catholic!

Poland definitely ranks as one of my most enjoyable campaigns so far though, although that may change as the blobs/alliances form around me

Man of Honour
Just picked the Digital Extreme Edition of the base game up for the princely sum of £3.95 :D

I want some of the DLCs and Humble have a lot of them on sale, but my question is this, do they get any cheaper in other sales on Steam or the like or are the current prices the best I'm likely to see?

Back
Top Bottom