**EV Owners Thread**

Soldato
Couldn't see a thread on the forums so thought I'd make one. Hopefully it can be a good place to discuss everything related to EV, hopefully debunk some myths and for people to find advice.

We're nearly a month into owning a Nissan Leaf (24kWh 2015 Acenta) and it's proving to be a great little car. I traded my old Renault in for £2k off the list price, and it's on PCP for 3 years. We've been slow charging on our drive from the 3 pin plug until yesterday when we had our 3.3kWh PodPoint installed (for free). Mrs is using it mostly to do the school run and short trips around the area.

Favourite feature so far is using the Climate Control feature of the app to preheat the car on the frosty mornings we've had.

Soldato
OP
Paying £150 a month. It costs about £3 for 80miles so about 5per mile. Breaks about even with my Renault running costs which was £120 a month fuel and £30 a month tax. Ish. Not too worried about the depreciation at this point as it's already had most of the hit taken on it. Can always give it back at the end of its worth nothing.

Soldato
There are very few situations where electric vehicles are cost parity to the combustion engine. Depreciation is the largest cost in owning a vehicle so it's the thing to be most worried about, and it's what's driving your PCP rate! That said, the lack of demand means they aren't terrible used buys.

Soldato
OP
There's actually a pretty big demand right now, certainly growing. Some have said that used prices are actually going up! My Renault was worth nothing (seriously they gave me.£50 for it), so I'm doing my motoring for the same price in a newer car that will be worth more than £50 in three years time (I hope!).

Soldato
67 Plate Tesla Model S 100D here.
Right, and....? Nothing to say about the car apart from bragging?
The guy has a point, that was a near pointless post!

Are you happy with your choice to go with the Model S as opposed to the 5 series you were previously looking at? Happy with the quality etc? My father was at the point of buying one a 6 months ago but decided against it in the end. Whilst trying them out he seemed fairly content with the quality, although not as good as within a RR or other premium car. It seemed as though you have to go in with your eyes open and to be willing to compromise to have a piece of amazing tech.

I'd definitely consider one if I was in the market for that sort of car.

Associate
I have been driving a 24 KW Leaf Tekna for the last 2 months. The car is on loan while the owner is on an extended holiday. I normally drive a 08 plate Prius.

The app for the climate control is good for un-planned trips. You can use the car to schedule the climate control to come on just before you set off to work in the morning. Already had my first frosty morning and I had no de-frosting to do at all and the car was nice and warm inside! I've pretty much decided my next car will be the 40 KW Leaf next year. Its saving me around £100 per month in fuel and the Prius is not exactly a thirsty car (I average around 65 MPG over a full tank of fuel).

I did some shopping after work on thursday at Lidl and they even have 50KW charge points in their car park. The car was at 40% before a started shopping and when I came out the car was 87% charged. I was about 25 minutes in the shop just getting some bits and bobs :cool:

Caporegime
I must say the new Leaf does look very appealing. The current with it's raised bug eyes just looks rather terrible. The new design I think looks great on the outside and it's very feature rich.

My Astra is very much on the way out and I've been looking at ev & hybrids so this could be an option.

Soldato
The guy has a point, that was a near pointless post!

Are you happy with your choice to go with the Model S as opposed to the 5 series you were previously looking at? Happy with the quality etc? My father was at the point of buying one a 6 months ago but decided against it in the end. Whilst trying them out he seemed fairly content with the quality, although not as good as within a RR or other premium car. It seemed as though you have to go in with your eyes open and to be willing to compromise to have a piece of amazing tech.

I'd definitely consider one if I was in the market for that sort of car.

I think quality is objective, I personally prefer minimalistic designs and so visually it hits the spot, it screams luxury to me. Materials feel amazing to touch, comfort levels are great.

The only gripe I have is the lack of a heads up display as my last two cars had it and I got use to it. However, with the Tesla the screen is about spot on in terms in eye level so don’t find it too much of an issue.

Technology is amazing, doing long distances on motorways, throw on autopilot and it really takes away some of the burden of regular long distance travel. I still do all the usual checks and pseudo drive still but it does make me arrivr more refreshed.

Soldato
Very nice, where do you charge it mostly?

Home mostly and superchargers every so often on long distance travel but I use these quick stops to get a drink/toilet and apart from plugging the cable in and the parking spots being a bit further away from the building, I find I’m not stopping any more regularly than I would have anyway.

Im averaging 320w per mile, so about 310 miles range. That includes aircon, heated seats and steering wheels and standard driving practices for an ex bmw driver.

However, since most routes have average speed zones or roadworks making me move to 50mph, I can average close to 250w per mile on long trips.

Range just generally hasn’t been an issue so far, I think a Tesla Model s 75 would be enough. Looking at the map so far, unless going really rural in Scotland, I don’t think any changes in my driving pattern would be required and on these routes fast Charging wouldn’t be available, but destination Charging would cover it.

Soldato
I must say the new Leaf does look very appealing. The current with it's raised bug eyes just looks rather terrible. The new design I think looks great on the outside and it's very feature rich.

My Astra is very much on the way out and I've been looking at ev & hybrids so this could be an option.

I just had a look and it does look good, they come in at £26k with a good spec, assuming there is another 2 or 3k discount to be had its not a bad city car for the money.

Associate
I've currently got a 30KWh Leaf and it's suprising how much difference having an extra 6KWh has made over my previous 24KWh, in the cold weather I needed to charge the 24KWh every day but can get away with every other day in the 30KWh so I imagine the 40KWh would cover most of my weeks commute before having to charge.

Caporegime
I just had a look and it does look good, they come in at £26k with a good spec, assuming there is another 2 or 3k discount to be had its not a bad city car for the money.

I've looked at the Hyundai Ioniq too but the smaller battery size and with it being their first offering makes the Nissan a bit more appealing.

I've currently got a 30KWh Leaf and it's suprising how much difference having an extra 6KWh has made over my previous 24KWh, in the cold weather I needed to charge the 24KWh every day but can get away with every other day in the 30KWh so I imagine the 40KWh would cover most of my weeks commute before having to charge.

That's very good to know. I should be able to charge it up at work as well which would be handy. Fortunately my commute to work is very short, unfortunately it's just off the ring road so in the evening it's a disgustingly long journey.

Back
Top Bottom