**EV Owners Thread**

Caporegime
I hope the Kona succeeds, but it’s a shame it’s so small l as mentioned above. It also only comes in FWD, so really is just a lifted supermini.

A good option for those looking for a reasonably priced Hatch though. The Kia Niro is supposed to be a bit bigger too, and will have the same drivetrain (iirc) so may be an option for those looking for something bigger.

Soldato
After having a few weeks now with my Ioniq BEV Premium SE, have to admit I'm really loving the vehicle. It'll do close to 150 miles on a full charge with 50-70mph M1 cruising, smashing the EPA rating of 124 miles; I've done round trips of 100 miles to London and back and had over 1/3 battery remaining, with the car advising 40-50 miles remaining. Around town I tend to see the lower stop start mileage and kWH usage, circa 3.5-4.5 miles per kW, but motorway commute I'm often seeing 5+, highest I've seen so far is 5.8 miles per KW, which would give 162.4 miles on a single charge, given 28kW usable battery.

There are minor niggles, but overall very happy, and the Premium SE is surprisingly comfortable, and certainly feels more upmarket than I was expecting it to. Looked surprisingly good compared to a Tesla Model X last week 2 parked next to each other; the Ioniq actually looked sleeker.

I have mine set to Regenerative Braking Level 3 so almost using it as e-Pedal with hefty doses of smart cruise control which I love; sound system built in is not perfect, but pretty decent really.

Happy! And not often I don't have many niggles :) Also, with lots of 10.8p inc VAT chargers near me, and my own 7kWH unit at home with my own 13.2p per KWH electric rate, cost of driving is very very low.

Only downside is got smacked with a flying hubcap on the motorway a week back so having to go through Hyundai to get that sorted; Hyundai First service team are making it relatively easy though, and my contact at the garage I got it from has been good too.

My service charge every 10K is £68...love it! Such an efficient, cost effective, decent car. Shame about the availability; they'd fly if more people could get thier hands on them I think. My family were genuinely impressed and thought the car was far nicer than they'd expected.

Soldato
Yeah, the size of the Kona is a big disappointment. However, the Niro EV should have the same battery options, and hopefully the Ioniq in the near future.

Soldato
I hope the Kona succeeds, but it’s a shame it’s so small l as mentioned above. It also only comes in FWD, so really is just a lifted supermini.

A good option for those looking for a reasonably priced Hatch though. The Kia Niro is supposed to be a bit bigger too, and will have the same drivetrain (iirc) so may be an option for those looking for something bigger.

FWD wouldn't be an issue for me, in fact I would argue its better for this type of car.

Being FWD is a benefit for an EV because of the regen braking, you can 'brake' much harder on the front axle than you can on a RWD which adds to its effciency. It's also easier to drive in those 2 days a year where it snows on low rolling resistance tyres :D.

Associate
From what I've read the replacement for the eGolf will be RWD.

Going back to the Kona it's a shame Hyundai doesn't have an app like Nissan that let's you pre-heat/cool the car.

Man of Honour
From what I've read the replacement for the eGolf will be RWD.

Going back to the Kona it's a shame Hyundai doesn't have an app like Nissan that let's you pre-heat/cool the car.

They do in the states, its part of blue link for the eV and hybrid models.

Shame we don't get any of it over here.

Caporegime
FWD wouldn't be an issue for me, in fact I would argue its better for this type of car.

Being FWD is a benefit for an EV because of the regen braking, you can 'brake' much harder on the front axle than you can on a RWD which adds to its effciency. It's also easier to drive in those 2 days a year where it snows on low rolling resistance tyres :D.

AWD as an option would be great for those of us that want/require it though. TBH it may be something my dad may be interested in, as he doesn't need AWD, if the wait time is not completely awful!

Associate
Was talking to a guy at work who borrowed a Jag i-Pace for the weekend (his brother is an exec at JLR) - he's had a couple of EVs (a Leaf and a BMW i3) and tried a few others and said that it was far and away the best one he's driven. The only thing stopping him buying one is that you can't tow with it.

He was wondering about the Tesla Model X - can you tow in the UK with that? Googling so far has drawn a blank on whether it has been homologated in the UK for towing.

Soldato
Towing does seem to be a big missing piece of all the EV's i've looked at, i know right now most people won't be bothered but if they want these things to go mainstream they'll need to be able to tow as some point.

Caporegime
The X doesn't?

Or is it just in the UK it doesn't? Because there is a large amount of videos show casing the Model X towing all kinds of stuff. Pushing it further and further. Musk even posted a video of the X towing a load of dirt from a boring tunnel.

Soldato
People driving a Model S, do you notice how big it is and does it effect parking, etc?

I've got a Model 3 deposit but test drove another Model S today and could potentially see myself getting the S but with my job, I tend to a lot of small space parking or park where I can and I'm worried about the size.

Soldato
The X doesn't?

Or is it just in the UK it doesn't? Because there is a large amount of videos show casing the Model X towing all kinds of stuff. Pushing it further and further. Musk even posted a video of the X towing a load of dirt from a boring tunnel.

Bjorn Nyland seems to show off the towing capabilities in his videos on Youtube. Towing 2200Kg up and over large mountains in Norway. The Model X did seem to handle it with ease!

Soldato
I just had a quick search and its covered in the cars manual on page 80-87, it can tow up to 2250kg.

It's linked on the Model X page on their UK website.
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_x_owners_manual_europe_en_gb.pdf

I can't see why it wouldn't be homologated in the UK if it is the rest of Europe, don't we just follow EU rules on this stuff? If its homologated in one EU country its good to go in the rest?

Caporegime
With the massive amount of torque there's going to be no issue with towing from a power perspective (hence the PR about the X pulling a plane). The issues will lie with whether they are legally allowed to in certain jurisdictions and and how they handle when towing. Being heavier vehicles means they should have that going for them too.

The biggest issue with towing with an EV is the abysmal range they get. You can pretty much halve the official range numbers, so even a high end Model X will need to recharge every 120 miles if it's towing. Something to consider, and something that needs to be sorted in future.

Soldato
The biggest issue with towing with an EV is the abysmal range they get. You can pretty much halve the official range numbers, so even a high end Model X will need to recharge every 120 miles if it's towing. Something to consider, and something that needs to be sorted in future.

Bjorn Nyland has done loads of video's on this and it ultimately depends on what you are towing, if it fits in the wake of the car then the effect is negligible (like a trailer tent or flat bed . But if its a huge caravan then as you say the range is much lower but it also depends on how quickly you drive as it's all down to drag and rolling resistance rather than the weight.

Last edited:
Soldato
People driving a Model S, do you notice how big it is and does it effect parking, etc?
Nope...but then my last car was an A7 so not exactly small so may just be used to it by now. I might drive past a couple of parking spaces on occasion to make sure I find one with slightly more space but it's never really been an issue.

Caporegime
Bjorn Nyland has done loads of video's on this and it ultimately depends on what you are towing, if it fits in the wake of the car then the effect is negligible (like a trailor tent or flat bed . But if its a huge caravan then as you say the range is much lower but it also depends on how quickly you drive as it's all down to drag and rolling resistance rather than the weight.

Agreed, it's aerodynamics more than weight that's the issue for range. Unless you're towing something negligible behind you then it's potentially a fairly significant issue. Most people tow either caravans, boats or horse boxes rather than tiny trailers though, so you're looking at around 120 miles from a 100D, with an EPA range of 295 miles..

Here's his figures.

rnage-tow.jpg
https://insideevs.com/tesla-model-x-energy-consumption-towing-various-trailers-video/

Note, he's doing 50mph and still getting those figures, so you can't really go much slower without being dangerous on a motorway.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom