D

Deleted member 651465

OP
More pictures / updates :D
Soon, very soon :)

Hi

Did you think about installing this?
http://stealthacoustics.com/installation.php

I am really considering installing this in the living room, they are very very expensive but they will go down very well with the wife.

Yup. I think I mentioned it in the first few pages..

Good idea, however a) you lose room space because you essentially have to compensate for the depth of the speakers by building the walls deeper and b) they are expensive, and honestly all the ones I installed as part of a previous job never blew me away. By having the sockets on the wall you can go as big or as small as you like, and if you sell you don't have to rip half the wall off to take your speakers.

I'm happy with the setup I have now. I'd like some mahoosive floorstanders, but not until our daughter is older and I can train her not to lunge at them :D

Soldato
Only just seen this thread. Just read the whole thing! Amazing work. You must be so happy with it. So much respect for you. As other's have said, I'd love to build my own house... one day.

Hope you've had a great Christmas and New Year :)

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
Right guys, sorry for the long delay. Had some things going on lately, but it doesn't mean things haven't been happening :)

Of note, I've now got a wireless broadband service (25Mb down, 25Mb up) and we're in the process of having solar panels fitted.

These pictures are the latter (I'll be back with the broadband stuff later).

A7XFz.jpg

I was originally going to post the image above as a teaser, but it's already been a while, so I saw no point :p

Zdasp.jpg

This is a before shot..

There are a number of things you need for a solar installation:

1. Solar panels (15x 250w Sharp panels)
  2. Inverter
  3. Generation meter (tells you what you're generating)
  4. Isolation switch

The system we've opted for is a 3.68kW system as that's the maximum limit you can have without seeking permission from Western Distribution Power (can take 12 weeks). Not sure if this applies to Wales only, but there you go.

Originally, this was set to be installed as 16 panels * 230W per panel = 3680W, however, due to a shortage of the panels we chose, the installers have uprated us to 250W panels, so we're now having 15 panels * 250W per panel = 3750w.

Also, as the government is currently in court regarding the drop in feed in tariff (from 43.3p to 21p), we're pushing to get this all set up before the next deadline and the tariff drops again. With any luck, the supreme court rules the original decision valid and we'll claim the full 43.3p but that's a chance we're taking.

The full cost of installation is £9,500.

EaE8J.jpg UPP4k.jpg

At some point, you need to connect the panels to the inverter, which then converts the DC current to an AC supply. From here, it is fed back to the consumer unit and in to the national grid. Obviously, being a "finished" build, there was always going to be some destruction involved in getting the single feed from the inverter to the consumer unit (hence the pictures above).

The most direct route chosen, was to channel down from the roof, through the bathroom and down in to the utility room where the consumer unit is situated. This means the cable can be buried in the wall and enter the utility above the consumer unit, and can be hidden with with minimal trunking.

It just so happens that the area affected is behind the bathroom door, so it shouldn't be too noticeable once filled and re-painted.

ZAVbl.jpg

This is the outcome of the first day. You can see where the ceiling has been cut to ensure they didn't hit any vital services such as the mains cabling, alarm, Cat6 etc. The 2 black boxes are essentially a terminal block for the main electrical feed, which has been spliced.

Sorry for the poor perspective, the cupboard opposite prevents a better frontal shot.

Mr3GV.jpg

This is the final install of the additional components. I hope to have the cabling in white plastic trunking, but you can see how the feed from the roof (far right) enters an isolation switch, which feeds the consumer unit. From the consumer unit it enters an RCD and in to the generation meter.

y5g8n.jpg

Here is a shot of the inverter itself. Being the first day of the install, none of the panels are on the roof, so none are wired up here, but you get the jist of how they are fed in to the inverter (far left), and how that is manipulated down to the single feed (far right).

More to follow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
They're Sharp panels, 250W per panel.

Unsure of the model numbers though :confused:

Soldato
Ahh sweet, will be very interested in how you get on with the output of those.
Hope you find a way of auto updating a web page with your generated/usage stats.

Associate
Updates! :D

Very nice house, I have to say this is ticking a good few of the boxes I have in my "dream home" setup. Especially the network cabinet underneath the stairs :)

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
Ahh sweet, will be very interested in how you get on with the output of those.
Hope you find a way of auto updating a web page with your generated/usage stats.
I've been looking at the inverter today. There's a COM port on there, but no RJ45. I wanted to network it up and do something similar :(

I mainly wanted to set up a way of checking how much I'm generating at a given time, as the only way I can do this currently is to look at values on inverter in the loft. Obviously, I can subtract the most recent generation meter reading, from a known value the day before, although that would only give a 24hr value.

I wanted to see the sun come out and see the reading go up! haha

Updates! :D

Very nice house, I have to say this is ticking a good few of the boxes I have in my "dream home" setup. Especially the network cabinet underneath the stairs :)

I <3 your house EVH, such an inspiring build and testament to the hard work you and your family have put into it. :)

Thanks for the kind comments. I am trying to build a house with everything I want, but at the same time, actually serve a purpose and not cost the earth. Given that the current build cost is around £90,000 (not including the land) I think it's coming along great.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
Sorry for the crap pictures, but here are some final shots of all the stuff.

jr5KU.jpg

Hf9Ja.jpg

0bHwO.jpg

The system only generated 0.81 yesterday, so this is what's been generated today (9.69).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom