Evo Triangle: Your fun is up.

Man of Honour
OP
Drivers, much like different opinions that don't fit other small minorities, have no place in current society sadly. Having said that, you only need to look at some of the YouTube videos of car meets in Essex and other such places to see why perhaps. One can only take so much Burberry.

Soldato
I don't agree with that at all. Drivers can do what they want in the correct environment, they just cant put others at risk on public roads.
The problem with that statement is that it is open to interpretation, and you can't enforce interpretation without context and judgement. So while in days of old a police officer would have seen you doing 70 in a 50 zone at 11pm with no one around and given you a verbal clip round the ear but given a NIP to the same person doing that at 4pm weaving in and out of traffic we now have a machine that indiscriminately takes your photo at a set speed threshold.

I totally agree with Housey. Speed is too easy and too accessible now. Pretty much anyone with a salary can PCP themselves into something with 300HP and have the kind of performance at their disposal that used to be reserved for the supercar owning elite. That isn't to say they were better at handling that performance necessarily, but there were far fewer on the roads so as a pure numbers game it was pretty much a non issue.

Man of Honour
OP
I don't agree with that at all. Drivers can do what they want in the correct environment, they just cant put others at risk on public roads.
Not really. I started driving in the mid 80's, I have seen a massive change in motoring.

I've covered the differences but there is now an aggression towards the motorist in some circles, bike riders for example. I never put a cyclist at risk, I never pass close, I give them space without question, never get annoyed at them on their bike but on several occasions I have had issues with angry cyclists doing when they were 100% in the wrong. For example, driving out my house down my local lane to come over a hill at maybe 30mph to see a load of them blocking the road drinking form their bottles. "It's Sunday mate, you should expect it" was their mindset. To add I did not put them at risk, I stopped all I wanted was to get past and that they maybe don't block the road because at a legal 60mph they would have lost and right as they are in their own head, car > bike when it comes to protection.

I have also had the odd clash with speed camera people in my local village, not through doing anything wrong I hasten to add, just because in their words once "well it sounded fast and you are the type we are here for".

I could go on...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I totally agree with Housey. Speed is too easy and too accessible now. Pretty much anyone with a salary can PCP themselves into something with 300HP and have the kind of performance at their disposal that used to be reserved for the supercar owning elite. That isn't to say they were better at handling that performance necessarily, but there were far fewer on the roads so as a pure numbers game it was pretty much a non issue.
Agreed and too your point, some of the worst driving I have ever seen has been so called elite in their supercars and not all little rich kids either, somethings old farts like me that should know better.

To add I also think context is a good point as well. I have read it here in the past....

"That speed is silly, this one is more sensible" when both are way over a limit. I can break the law because I deem X acceptable but not your Y

Man of Honour
OP
Loads of people. I have been done by average twice in my life. My boss got done twice in the same day, once on the way down and once on the way back up
My course 3 weeks back was due to the average cameras around Stoke. To be fair I was trying to get out of Stoke as quick as possible so thought they might allow that for mitigation :D (joke Stokey's don't burn me)

Caporegime
My course 3 weeks back was due to the average cameras around Stoke. To be fair I was trying to get out of Stoke as quick as possible so thought they might allow that for mitigation :D (joke Stokey's don't burn me)
A500? Locals seem to know exactly where the cameras are and religiously stick to 70mph+ until literally the last second.

Caporegime
That article doesn't make sense, it states people have been done at 120mph and 79mph, what, as an average?!!!

I ask because I do 40k+ miles a year and I've not been done in any of the various 50 zones all around the country at an indicated 60 speedo (55-56 GPS) and I've not heard of anyone getting done either.

Wagons certainly don't do 50 through any of them either, they stick to their 56 limit regardless, dodging all the muppet 45mph moving chicanes.

The two young RAF men driving the BMW in that clip in the article were done at 79mph av and 120mph top speed. The idiots filmed themselves and put it up on youtube. Both got a suspended sentence and if they hadnt been in the RAF and would have been kicked out if they had got a custodial sentence, they both would have been banged up.

120mph on country lanes is too fast IMO. You never know when something or somebody is just going to appear. You see it with all the idiots on motorbikes where I live. I regularly see them go along the road at the other side of the valley at speed of 100mph+

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
A500? Locals seem to know exactly where the cameras are and religiously stick to 70mph+ until literally the last second.
I know where they are too, no excuse really as 'life on my shoulders' moment caused me to brain fart and sit at 60mph not 50mph.

Man of Honour
OP
The most fun on the road is something just a bit fast, or just slow. Then drive it as quick as you like :D
It is why things like the MX5 are so much fun. Get a good Mk1 with 115bhp and forget all the modern cars you may be used to and it can be as good as it gets. Steering, brakes, gearbox, balance all from the stop draw (steering needs right set up). The problem is we are all use to 200bhp+ pocket rockets so the MX5 feels slow but get past that, great.

Caporegime
It is why things like the MX5 are so much fun. Get a good Mk1 with 115bhp and forget all the modern cars you may be used to and it can be as good as it gets. Steering, brakes, gearbox, balance all from the stop draw (steering needs right set up). The problem is we are all use to 200bhp+ pocket rockets so the MX5 feels slow but get past that, great.
I would completely agree, however finding a Mk1 or Mk2 MX5 that doesn’t look like it’s lived in the sea is hard work, even the “good” ones are still terrible, it’s the only reason I no longer have my Mk2.5.

For this reason I think a base spec Mk2 Elise probably makes more sense.

Man of Honour
OP
Elise is a cracking car no question, but getting in and out of an MX5 is easier :D

Well except my racer with a full cage which is a challenge.

Soldato
You need to pull some serious g-forces to get an Elise to it's grip limits. It's difficult to play with on the road but still fun.

Associate
I feel like this video is relevant. Occurred during lockdown
url

Man of Honour
OP
LOL, I once had a Porsche go past me there at the highest speed I have ever seen. 170+ mph, it was insane. Hate that road as the noise from the tyres is insane, it also makes the car bob up and down at points.
Wasn’t silver one on a Sunday around 5am in 2008ish was it? If it was it was nearer 200mph I believe I ‘heard’

Back
Top Bottom