Evo Triangle: Your fun is up.

Associate
Does nobody else have an issue with £500k being spent on cameras in the middle of nowhere? Why not pay for a police officer for ~10yrs who has the ability to police speeding in the area and other issues off season/at night etc. I'm sure that kind of money could be better used in the local area than on this sole purpose.

Man of Honour
Shame about the visual impact of ugly yellow poles in an scenic area too.

An unmarked traffic car on the triangle most hours would catch much more than just speeding.

Associate
Shame about the visual impact of ugly yellow poles in an scenic area too.

An unmarked traffic car on the triangle most hours would catch much more than just speeding.

This.

I have driven the road on quite a few occasions, I don't know what frequency the average cameras are going to be but plenty of opportunity when the locations of the cameras are known to drive the road in sections and then pull over for a bit. Also an average speed camera doesn't discern the person in a very capable car driving close to the speed limit but well within the reach of the car vs someone driving an Van full of tools very close to the speed limit but definitely not driving within the reach of the vehicle.

I have driven by the ones on the A55 near Rhyl recently and also the ones on the A5104 which appeared recently so seems like North Wales are on a mission to really clamp down.

Soldato
Interesting but probably for the best really, it was fun there years ago but now it's so popular with some many people treating it like a track day it does need more policing.

I've done my fair share of laps in the past but haven't been back there for a few years now, I've seen quite a few crashes, cars in fields etc so if this stops some people hurting themselves/others its probably the right decision.

Man of Honour
OP
70 on your Spedo can be a real 63 MPH, if someone does 71/72 real speed they could be going past at 10ish MPH and still be legal.

So your inference is that my speedo in my brand new Mercedes is possibly 7mph out at 70mph. You think it is therefore most likely that everyone else, in my story above, was doing 70mph and it was me that was measuring it incorrectly? Or ALL of their speedos were miles out?

Some comments on that mindset...

1: My speedo is 1.5mph to 2mph out at 70mph, I measured it with a GPS device, 2 in fact.
2: When in 50mph roadworks I often set it to 50mph and travel at common speed to most cars/lorries around me. Sometimes, being the rebel I am, I set it to 52mph so I can gently and discreetly make a little more progress...I estimate about 2mph more of progress using maths and science.
3: What does the average UK motorist use to measure their speed?
4: Do you honestly think that they allow for a 7mph difference because their speedo is likely 7mph wrong at 70mph or do you think they look at their speedo and use that measure, you know, speed?

I know the point you are trying to make, but in my over 30 years of driving I have never had a speedo 7mph out, not once. I can't think of one more than 3mph out come to think of it.

People use their speedo to measure speed, not GPS devices in the vast amount of cases and most of the cars were travelling significantly faster than 2mph past me, many I would argue were 15mph-40mph faster. I have zero issue with that, I am usually the one going significantly faster.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Yes it can?

The legislation is 110% + 6.25 mph, so a real 63 could be indicating 75.5 and still be legal

Yes but that is not likely is it?

Straw men everywhere but lets focus on the reality. All of the people passing me were going faster and 99% of them were using a speedo to measure their speed so knew they are going faster. I have no issue with that because I too live in the real world and know what 'motorway speed' means.

Soldato
Yes but that is not likely is it?

Straw men everywhere but lets focus on the reality. All of the people passing me were going faster and 99% of them were using a speedo to measure their speed so knew they are going faster. I have no issue with that because I too live in the real world and know what 'motorway speed' means.

Yea sorry, I hadn't read the thread, I was just replying to Fox's post in isolation.

I also meant to put that I find the margin of error allowable to be quite crazy tbh and it's unlikely a real speedo would ever be that way out.

I only came across this from a post I put on here about my zed, as the anologue, digital and sat nav always show 3 different speeds :p up to about 5mph different between the analogue and sat nav and it confused me why

Soldato
So your inference is that my speedo in my brand new Mercedes is possibly 7mph out at 70mph. You think it is therefore most likely that everyone else, in my story above, was doing 70mph and it was me that was measuring it incorrectly? Or ALL of their speedos were miles out?

Some comments on that mindset...

1: My speedo is 1.5mph to 2mph out at 70mph, I measured it with a GPS device, 2 in fact.
2: When in 50mph roadworks I often set it to 50mph and travel at common speed to most cars/lorries around me. Sometimes, being the rebel I am, I set it to 52mph so I can gently and discreetly make a little more progress...I estimate about 2mph more of progress using maths and science.
3: What does the average UK motorist use to measure their speed?
4: Do you honestly think that they allow for a 7mph difference because their speedo is likely 7mph wrong at 70mph or do you think they look at their speedo and use that measure, you know, speed?

I know the point you are trying to make, but in my over 30 years of driving I have never had a speedo 7mph out, not once. I can't think of one more than 3mph out come to think of it.

People use their speedo to measure speed, not GPS devices in the vast amount of cases and most of the cars were travelling significantly faster than 2mph past me, many I would argue were 15mph-40mph faster. I have zero issue with that, I am usually the one going significantly faster.

Your "brand new" (I love this lol) Mercedes is legally required to under report your speed. Newer regulations want it to under report more.

All speedometers are miles out in the UK and feel free to get a GPS device and check.

So don't go blaming others because you don't know how the law or your car works.

Man of Honour
OP
Your "brand new" (I love this lol) Mercedes is legally required to under report your speed. Newer regulations want it to under report more.

All speedometers are miles out in the UK and feel free to get a GPS device and check.

So don't go blaming others because you don't know how the law or your car works.

Ah yes, as I suspected, you’re one of ‘them’.

Soldato

Mines exactly 1mph out.

Soldato

No car I've owned has had more than a 2 or 3mph discrepancy at 70mph. 'miles out' just doesn't happen in most cars.

Man of Honour
OP
It was obvious the point he wanted to make from his first post in this thread. He forgets or chooses to ignore this is a motoring forum, so probably frequented by many people who know how accurate speedometers are or how they tend to over read. I said it was irrelevant because it was in the context of my post. He then goes on to tell me all about it, to tell me to test it (when I told him I had, twice) and to make a snide comment about my brand new (winner) Mercedes which was mentioned as a reference to how my speedometer was likely to be a goodun not a seasoned one with the vagaries of time (digital though they are), when I suspect he was thinking it was me bragging about my 300 quid a month lease car.

So then, my R8 V10 Plus, have I mention that today? :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom