• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Exclusive: The AMD Inside Story, Navi GPU Roadmap And The Cost Of Zen To Gamers

Soldato
The news is that Navi is pulled forward, why are you arguing it as not possible?! :confused:
Is the headline mate.
Not the actual article. And is a copy of the similar story WCCFTECH was running over the weekend.
Again with the same headline but not a single reference in the article.

If we see a 7nm GPU this year in mainstream, it will be either Vega 20 or Vega 12.
But we know Vega 20 is real and comes out on Instinct cards.

AMD has said numerous times Navi (GCN 6) is in line for 2019 release and 2020 we have Core Next (what ever that is).

I do hope AMD could call me a liar and come out with some Navi chip this year, but all we know and have concrete information for, are about Vega 12 & Vega 20

You know well how much I support AMD when is reasonable to do so, but without further information better hold small bags.

Soldato
And another thing, the Navi name is ugly. It makes me think of swearing blokes who aren't sure how to use cutlery.
True. :D For me remind me "chav" somehow. :confused:

Having just read through the last few pages all I can say is "Oh Lord, please give me the strength to survive the upcoming trials". :rolleyes:
:D

I have a watercooled V64 Nitro mate, and looks that amazing card going to be the shortest living one ever....
But is a keeper, so time to sell the old stock (FuryX) keeping for the rainy days... :D

Permabanned
Quote me the exact line that says Navi has been pulled forward, if you read carefully you'll see it doesn't say it anywhere.

Is the headline mate.
Not the actual article. And is a copy of the similar story WCCFTECH was running over the weekend.
Again with the same headline but not a single reference in the article.

If we see a 7nm GPU this year in mainstream, it will be either Vega 20 or Vega 12.
But we know Vega 20 is real and comes out on Instinct cards.

AMD has said numerous times Navi (GCN 6) is in line for 2019 release and 2020 we have Core Next (what ever that is).

I do hope AMD could call me a liar and come out with some Navi chip this year, but all we know and have concrete information for, are about Vega 12 & Vega 20

You know well how much I support AMD when is reasonable to do so, but without further information better hold small bags.

To be honest, I do not want to hear anything about Vega, even if it is one-nanometer :(

Soldato
That image is March 2016. The roadmap has changed since then to be a lot more vague. There is nothing in the press release that says Navi end of this year, but the joy of press releases that don't contain dates is that they can be interpreted any way you want.

So there is scope for Navi to land end of this year, but it's not going to happen. Vega 20 has been sampling since about March, so that means that Navi was designed, prototyped, tested, taped out and sampled for about the same time.

Does that really sound feasible?

Soldato
I don't have a problem with it at all. No where in the article does it say Navi won't be 2019 either. I fully expect it to be 2019 myself but when you lead with that headline and with AMD making a big push on 7nm for both gpu and cpu surely you can see why he thinks Navi may well be at the end of the year. It's bad journalism to have that as a headline if there is no truth to it. Sure it's for clicks but surely there was a better headline to be had with more truth to it.

Maybe they are confused themselves and they believe Navi is out later this year.

"We have already taped out multiple 7nm products at TSMC, including our first 7nm GPU planned to launch later this year". Possibly they think this is Navi.

Sorry, But, the article wasn't written by Techpowerup, you do realise that's it's just a copy and paste from the AMD news page?

It's just a clickbait title. Which is why I told him to read the actual article properly. That advice still stands, and nothing you have said changes that. Read the article, there is nothing about Navi coming in 2018, zero, nada, zilch.

Soldato
The news is that Navi is pulled forward, why are you arguing it as not possible?! :confused:

It's not news, it's a clickbait title.

The joys of clickbait headlines...

this, and it's just a title, it's not even an article they have written, it's a copy and paste from the AMD website.

Quote me the exact line that says Navi has been pulled forward, if you read carefully you'll see it doesn't say it anywhere.

and this!!

Soldato
Sorry, But, the article wasn't written by Techpowerup, you do realise that's it's just a copy and paste from the AMD news page?

It's just a clickbait title. Which is why I told him to read the actual article properly. That advice still stands, and nothing you have said changes that. Read the article, there is nothing about Navi coming in 2018, zero, nada, zilch.

True but there is nothing about Vega either and more about Navi :D:D:D:D:D.

I think the other article i read which is probably what this was taken from mentioned Vega 20/Instinct. Any how as you say there is nothing about Navi just a headline that states it's being brought forward to 2018 and then this. "AMD's next major milestone is the introduction of our upcoming 7nm product portfolio, including the initial products with our second generation "Zen 2" CPU core and our new "Navi" GPU architecture.". Any how i agree with you that the article is click bait from all the other info we have. Still for anyone reading that there is no mention of Vega or Instict just Zen 2 and Navi. It's easy for people to be taken in by it, especially those badly wanting a new gpu from AMD.

With Zen 2 probably coming around April as with other Ryzen launches i wonder if Navi may also be coming around that time.

Soldato
Let's clarify all the wording, shall we?

AMD’s next major milestone is the introduction of our upcoming 7nm product portfolio...

There is a series of products that utilise 7nm process, and their introduction is the next big point in history for AMD.

...including the initial products with our second generation “Zen 2” CPU core and our new “Navi” GPU architecture.

The "7nm product portfolio" will include actual products using the Zen 2 CPU architecture, and a new GPU architecture called "Navi" designed on the 7nm process. Note it does not say "products with Navi" like it does "products with Zen 2". This could mean actual products using Navi are further away than just introducing the architecture.

So far then, we can conclude that conceptually Zen 2 and Navi are part of the 7nm milestone. There is no talk of timing.

We have already taped out multiple 7nm products at TSMC, including our first 7nm GPU planned to launch later this year and our first 7nm server CPU that we plan to launch in 2019.

TSMC have started production of AMD products using the 7nm process. Amongst these are a GPU targeted for a Q4 2018 release (because we only have 3 weeks of Q3 left), and a server-class CPU targeted for a 2019 release.

Nowhere does it say that this 7nm GPU is Navi, nor is Navi actually the first 7nm GPU; we know that the first 7nm GPU is the Vega 20 demonstrated at Computex, and we know that Vega 20 is used in Radeon Instinct compute cards.

Conclusion: actual graphics cards using the Navi architecture will not be released in 2018.

So clickbait article title is either clickbait because the press release wording could superficially be interpreted as referring to Navi, or the title is grossly incorrect because the author misinterpreted the press release.

Can we put this one to bed now?

Soldato
Let's clarify all the wording, shall we?

There is a series of products that utilise 7nm process, and their introduction is the next big point in history for AMD.

The "7nm product portfolio" will include actual products using the Zen 2 CPU architecture, and a new GPU architecture called "Navi" designed on the 7nm process. Note it does not say "products with Navi" like it does "products with Zen 2". This could mean actual products using Navi are further away than just introducing the architecture.

So far then, we can conclude that conceptually Zen 2 and Navi are part of the 7nm milestone. There is no talk of timing.

TSMC have started production of AMD products using the 7nm process. Amongst these are a GPU targeted for a Q4 2018 release (because we only have 3 weeks of Q3 left), and a server-class CPU targeted for a 2019 release.

Nowhere does it say that this 7nm GPU is Navi, nor is Navi actually the first 7nm GPU; we know that the first 7nm GPU is the Vega 20 demonstrated at Computex, and we know that Vega 20 is used in Radeon Instinct compute cards.

So clickbait article title is either clickbait because the press release wording could superficially be interpreted as referring to Navi, or the title is grossly incorrect because the author misinterpreted the press release.

Can we put this one to bed now?

It's been in bed for a while. All i was trying to get across is why people will fall for this click bait. People being told to read as well but no where in the article does it say Navi is not coming this year either :D:D:D:D:D. Most of us around here know that the gpu launch in 2018 is Vega20/Instinct. For those that don't know that they will assume it's Navi.

Even the original article at tweaktown think AMD are being a little cryptic with there wording.

AMD is a little cryptic and throwing some people off by saying that their first 7nm GPU will launch "later this year" with some thinking it'll be Navi, but this will be their Vega 20 GPU.

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/6303...avi-gpu-architecture-7nm-portfolio/index.html

Soldato
wasn't a pop at you, @TheRealDeal it was an attempt at a much-needed clarification.

Personally, I can't see how anybody could remotely interpret anything in that press release being about Navi moving to this year. There is simply nothing in it to support that interpretation. Hell, it doesn't even say the 7nm product line includes actual graphics cards using Navi.

Soldato
wasn't a pop at you, @TheRealDeal it was an attempt at a much-needed clarification.

Personally, I can't see how anybody could remotely interpret anything in that press release being about Navi moving to this year. There is simply nothing in it to support that interpretation. Hell, it doesn't even say the 7nm product line includes actual graphics cards using Navi.

Me neither, I am not sure how anybody can read this article and think that Navi is coming, if it wasn't for the clickbait title, nobody would have read the article and presumed Navi was coming in 2018.

Permabanned
I don't believe that TPU will allow themselves to do clickbait. Even WCFFtech were right about Touring...

Yes, Vega 20 is coming, but Navi is coming, too. And it will be sooner than you expect. :D

Back
Top Bottom