Exhaust banging on modified cars - whats the point?

Soldato
I've owned 4, 5 and 6 cylinder cars, and currently have a V8.

I have literally never before heard anyone claim that one of the advantages of greater number of cylinders is reliability!

Soldato
Id take a flat 6 over a v6 any day of the week. The v6 in my TT doesn't sound nearly as nice as the flat 6 in the porsche.

I reckon that's more to do with it being an Audi than a V6. My wife's V8 Audi sounds uninspiring too. But the V8 in my C63 certainly doesn't, and the V6 in my old Alfa GTA sounded phenomenal.

I'm not keen on Porsche's idea of a good exhaust note at all. They used to sound broken because they were air cooled. No idea why they still sound broken these days.

Associate
That is simply complete and utter nonsense.

But lets agree to disagree, as you say... ;)

well its not nonsense, you are totally wrong on a EZ30 for once and also totally wrong on large CC petrol engines - they spank any 4 cylinder for reliability, less stress and longevity.

In general, EZ30 is reliable engine for daily use. You need to serve it regularly and to use high quality engine oil. If your country has a problem with qualitative gasoline, then just use more or less normal gasoline. All this will increase EZ30 engine lifespan to 200,000 miles of mileage and even more.

So you prefer a K series engine, ok then - make sure you use sufficient planks of wood when doing the head gasket failure!

Associate
I reckon that's more to do with it being an Audi than a V6. My wife's V8 Audi sounds uninspiring too. But the V8 in my C63 certainly doesn't, and the V6 in my old Alfa GTA sounded phenomenal.

I'm not keen on Porsche's idea of a good exhaust note at all. They used to sound broken because they were air cooled. No idea why they still sound broken these days.

because of turbos perhaps...

Soldato
My car does have the odd bang on over run but also spits flames as well. 3 inch straight through all the way to the turbo. That's just a result of it being a old car and back then they just threw fuel at everything.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

My Astra is just the same, 3" from the turbo back, just with a couple of silencers. It'll give a gentle crackle and burble with normal driving, so isn't too antisocial around housing estates. But when pushing on it'll pop and bang and pop a good flame :D

Caporegime
well its not nonsense, you are totally wrong on a EZ30 for once and also totally wrong on large CC petrol engines - they spank any 4 cylinder for reliability, less stress and longevity.

In general, EZ30 is reliable engine for daily use. You need to serve it regularly and to use high quality engine oil. If your country has a problem with qualitative gasoline, then just use more or less normal gasoline. All this will increase EZ30 engine lifespan to 200,000 miles of mileage and even more.

So you prefer a K series engine, ok then - make sure you use sufficient planks of wood when doing the head gasket failure!

You are claiming that *generally* engines with lots of cylinders are more reliable than *any* 4 cylinder engine yes?

Which is complete and utter rubbish.

There are countless things that come into play before an engine quite literally wears out from use. From rotation. But, if we are taking that angle, BMW's V8's and V10's seem to be very good at wearing out from use alone, then spinning bearings, and ventilating the side of the engine block. They do this because of sub-standard materials used in the rod bearings.

Manufacturing defects, use of sub standard materials, just two of the many things that will affect an engines lifespan well before the rotating assembly has worn out.

I was also talking about Honda K series engines (I did say Honda specifically) not Rover K series engines which suffer from head gasket issues.

Anyway I thought we had already agreed to disagree? :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Some of the big old American V8s were super reliable because they were 5.0 with a ridiculously low hp/ltr. They barely had any stress put on them.

Soldato
You are claiming that *generally* engines with lots of cylinders are more reliable than *any* 4 cylinder engine yes?

Which is complete and utter rubbish.

There are countless things that come into play before an engine quite literally wears out from use. From rotation. But, if we are taking that angle, BMW's V8's and V10's seem to be very good at wearing out from use alone, then spinning bearings, and ventilating the side of the engine block. They do this because of sub-standard materials used in the rod bearings.

Manufacturing defects, use of sub standard materials, just two of the many things that will affect an engines lifespan well before the rotating assembly has worn out.

I was also talking about Honda K series engines (I did say Honda specifically) not Rover K series engines which suffer from head gasket issues.

Anyway I thought we had already agreed to disagree? :p

This. Far more to engine reliability than just cylinder count.

Man of Honour
My C43 was brilliant, just the right amount of pops and bangs on the overrun, but the one thing that was verging on obnoxious about it was the almighty crack you'd get on up shifts when giving it the beans. Most people I knew loved it, but I often got dirty looks if I did it in view of passers-by. It was ridiculously loud. I'd always do it going under this bridge coming off the A34, and there's a bus stop about 50m down from it, it would always amuse me the different reaction you'd get depending on who was sat there.

I've got a C63 now, and it does give some pretty loud pops and bangs on the overrun, but you have to be high up in the rev range to get them so again, not unless you're making rapid progress. It's a much more grown-up and better sound than the 43 but you could be a lot more "in your face" with the 43 with less effort as the noises happened more easily

So I'm a fan of those kind of noises, but the ones that really make me cringe are the Golf R's you see driving about, that sound like they are misfiring every time they lift off the throttle, it sounds stupid

Caporegime
Just because there are more than 1 person on the internet say the same thing does not make real, i mean look at flat earthers! So it's not the argument i would use as the people who say more cylinders are more reliable probably

1 - Have more money to afford more cylinders
2 - Have the money to keep on top of the maintanence
3 - Have more than 1 car so the car in question doesn't get used as much
4 - They know cars themselves and therefore keep on top of every little things that needs maintenance before it actually breaks.

People who just have a 4 pot, like a Honda Civic would drive that everywhere, 2miles to work, 300 miles cross country, through puddles, and often own by people who knows nothing about cars and will skip or forget to service totally. I once dated a girl who has never taken her 7 year old car (she owned it when the car was 3 years old) to get a service and has done 50k on it. Try doing that in a Lambo.

There are many factors why an engine is more reliable, I would not say the number of cyclinders is not one of them.

Caporegime
Don't think much folk here a clued up on cars, I take it you never drove a 6,8 or 12 cylinder car then yourself? the VED can hurt, but they last forever and sound great - try them

Just as an example Saab's 2.3 4 cylinder is a lot stronger, lasts longer and makes more power than the 3.0 GM V6 it could have also had when it was on sale.

Associate
Things have probably moved on but i wont be getting a 4 cylinder engine any time soon, Large CC cars cruise with little effort - on a Motorway for example, 80mph is around 3k rpm or less on mine and overtaking is a doddle. Its just less stress and i dont have stupid turbo noises or breakdowns to worry about.

Study finds increasing problems with 4-cylinder engines
In its most recent Vehicle Dependability Study, J.D. Power found an industry-wide increase in vehicle problems for the first time in 15 years. The vast majority of the problems are with 4-cylinder vehicles

https://www.torquenews.com/1083/study-finds-increasing-problems-4-cylinder-engines

Caporegime
:rolleyes:

I imagine the majority of issues have been with 4 cylinder engines because the vast majority of cars have them... And have done for 70+ years, outside of the US and perhaps Australia.

Amazing how statistics work. :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
Things have probably moved on but i wont be getting a 4 cylinder engine any time soon, Large CC cars cruise with little effort - on a Motorway for example, 80mph is around 3k rpm or less on mine and overtaking is a doddle. Its just less stress and i dont have stupid turbo noises or breakdowns to worry about.

My turbocharged 2.0 4-cylinder sits at a lower RPM at motorway speeds and has more performance for overtaking/accelerating than my 3.2 V6 does (both are factory stock). I've also had no breakdowns in the turbocharged 2.0 nor does it have any "silly" turbo noises (no atmospheric blow-off valve, no real turbo whine either due to sound deadening).

The ONLY thing the N/A 3.2 V6 has going for it is noise, both induction and exhaust.

Soldato
Regarding reliability, an engine with fewer moving parts has fewer potential points of failure. That's a fact.

I'd also go out on a limb and say that mainstream cars (4 cylinder, for the sake of this argument) have more r and d resource ploughed into them because more units are being produced.

Soldato
I like the pop and bangs when on a blast down some B roads I wouldn't want them all the time which is why I like the ability to turn them off. My wife's Mini has this pretty much perfectly judged where it won't do it on the overrun unless you are in sports mode, does the very odd crackle on gear changes in normal and quietens the exhaust right down in green mode.

Soldato
neither of my cars pop and bang..

crown with a 1jz single turbo just whooshes(stock system)
s2k with a hks twin exhaust just sounds like an angry bee

does drop an odd pop after letting off..

but it's rare.. once every 10-15 mins if that.

Caporegime
Saw one yesterday, Seat something or other. The guy must've been in third gear, decelerating from about 30mph. It literally sounded like a popcorn machine. Granted it wasn't that loud but it just sounded ridiculous and broken, how anyone thinks this sounds good is beyond me.

Back
Top Bottom