Poll: Exit Poll: UK General Election 2017 - Results discussion and OcUK Exit Poll - Closing 8th July

Exit poll: Who did you vote for?

• Conservatives

Votes: 302 27.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 577 52.6%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 104 9.5%
  • Green

Votes: 13 1.2%
  • UKIP

Votes: 19 1.7%
  • Scottish National Party

Votes: 30 2.7%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 6 0.5%
  • Other

Votes: 46 4.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
The woman isn't fit to be a leader, in the slightest. There's something missing there. Maybot seems to show no basic compassion.

Could tell she didn't give a **** when questioned by that nurse on tv. A humble nurse that wasn't even on the attack.

Soldato
She doesn't really care, the whole things is a rich versus poor scenario, and as we know the conservatives couldn't give a rats behind about the poor unless they're voting for them.

Poor person block of flats tarted up, with materials banned in other countries for their dangerous effects, for the benefit of the view of the rich residents next door. Fire kills the poor as a result. Sounds like economic cleansing. May's probably happy that they'll be able to flog a few more homes to Saudi princes and Russian oligarchs now.

Caporegime
:p
It is a complex issue and is a massive change to a fundamentally new type of taxation and economic system which is why some economists are unsure fo the benefits because they lack many of the necessary quantitative modelling tools.
Unworkable: no, its been shown to be workable in practice at small scales. It can be made to work at a national level but such a big change is hard to achieve. There is nothing fundamentally unworkable about it.
Expensive: Well that is kind of obvious, the real question is how much savings can it generate form simplifying current taxation, tax credits and benefits system, how an taxes be raised sufficiently to cover costs, and what benefit does it have to society. The latter point is the biggest question. What price do you put on lower crime, increased happiness, more productive workers, better social cohesion, narrower economic dive? Unemployment benefit and and child tax credits are expensive, so are state pensions and national health care. Should we do with out them due to cost?
Stopping people form working is mostly going to come down to what level the UBI is at, what existing unemployment benefits there are, salaries for actually working. Sure if you set the UBI at 30K a year, minimum wage is 3 pounds an hour and it gets taxed at 70% then no one would work and it would implode. If you set the UBI at 5K, minimum wage was 20 quid and nothing was taxed until you earned 20K a year then people would be very motivated to work. So it is important to find that balance and make the numbers balance.

I don;t think it is anything that will work short term but long term I see now way around it. With automation millions of people will lose their jobs in the next decades. Anyone from taxi drivers to doctors, programmers to factory workers will face being obsolete due to the endless march of technology. The first autonomous rucks are already on he road, first autonomous tax cars already exist and serving people. I view UBI as basically inevitable at some point.

What price do you put on lower crime, increased happiness, more productive workers, better social cohesion, narrower economic dive?

I think you're being a little bit disingenuous to suggest that that is a definite outcome.

If you set the UBI at 5K, minimum wage was 20 quid and nothing was taxed until you earned 20K a year then people would be very motivated to work. So it is important to find that balance and make the numbers balance.

And this is where the grand idea of "simplifying" things starts to crumble.

So it's 5k, is that for everyone?

Nothing extra for the disabled, carers, single mum's, teenage mum's, high value areas, less for low value areas? Council tax presumably gets abolished too or that adds a whole heap of other stuff into the mix.

Within a very short time due to a peals, court rulings, protests, sobs tories you'd end up back at a big messy comprise

Soldato
I don't understand how brexit talks can go ahead Monday when a government wouldn't be formed until Wednesday

When you look at what has been achieved since May took office and the attempt to just rule by decree on enacting Article 50 perhaps our glorious leader has decided to do away with the annoying niggles of any democratic process.

tumblr_oa9kfuydxn1utqlyco1_500.jpg

Man of Honour
I don't like May but you can't really criticise her in respect of not visiting the tower fire victims. She's damned if she does and damned if she doesn't *shrug*

Soldato
I don't like May but you can't really criticise her in respect of not visiting the tower fire victims. She's damned if she does and damned if she doesn't *shrug*

Indeed, she'd just get hurled abuse for no good reason. No body needs that. Sadiq Khan even got heckled and he's Labour and wasn't even mayor when they did the renovations!

It would be a pointless exercise and just given an excuse for Labour activists to score points

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom