Expensive mistakes you've made because of stupidity

Associate
Took a break from gaming for ~1.5 years for studies. Built a £1,500 PC. Gamed for 1 month and I was bored to hell. After collecting the dust for 3 more months, the PC was sold for 65% the value. Damage = ~500 quid.

I did something similar recently except I spent £875 on the PC but managed to recover £790 of it by accepting an item in PX + cash and selling the item for more than the owner deemed it was worth.

I guess this is the opposite of what the thread is about so to join in;

I bought a Ford Focus for £4400, which turned out to be a nail with a whole host of problems the trader managed to hide from me. An opportunity came up to buy a much more fun car from a friend so I ended up buying this while I still had the focus, then taking £1000 less than Id paid barely 5 months earlier as I was eager to get out in the new car. Bearing in mind Id fixed a couple of problems on the Focus and spent money advertising it and getting it washed repeatedly when people came to view, I imagine I lost about £12-1300 over the ownership.

On a plus note I did learn a lot about buying/selling cars, what to look for, fixing them etc, so it turned out to be a valuable lesson

Soldato
There's a Poster here who loves to brag about how much money he has, how smart he is and is pretty well known for his one-upmanship. He must be tying himself up in knots at this Thread! I wonder if they'll post :D:cool:

Who?

On topic. Costliest stupid mistake has to be taking up smoking as teenager.

Soldato
Not saving very well whilst living at home with parents, biggest costly mistake ever. So I guess it's the culmination of silly spending on bits and pieces across the 8 years of living off the rents.

Other than that, nothing too harsh really, I've bought 3 brand new cars which I could have saved quite a bit on if I hadn't! The depreciation across those stung quite a bit but luckily they were cheapish hatchbacks that maintained a good percentage of their value when I sold them.

Selling my E46 330i after 6 months and buying a RS Clio 200 cost me a bit (in terms of money and ego), luckily the 200 didn't depreciate too much (£2k over 12 months) however the heartbreak over selling the 330i for well less than it was worth to me personally was a hard pill to swallow.

Soldato
£280 for a local drain doctor to unblock sewage pipes outside under my front garden, only to be told by water board that it's their pipes and they do it FOC as part of the rates, I spit at his van whenever I see it go past!

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Cost me £101, I vividly remember. :eek: When money was really tight! If I had booked it when I first knew about it, it would have cost £27. :mad:

Ignorance possibly, as opposed to stupidity, but it still rankles. :o

Meanwhile, the train pulls away with three empty carriages.

Soldato
I came up with a great idea to move to canadadia once, after six months there and one harsh winter, I decided that it wasn't the place for me, so came back.. In the end, probably cost me 10k or so..

Soldato
5 grand when I was 17 on car insurance. In all fairness, my parents pushed me hard, saying "it will be worth it" "independence". I then used it simply in place of the bus apart from 4 times when I could have got a taxi.

I now realise that parental advice is ****.

Associate
Buying an Audi A4 cabriolet, absolute pig of a car, broke down weekly, leaked, electrical problems, you name it and it had it.

Soldato
They wouldn't stop banging on about it every single ******* day. And saying they were "dissapointed" that I wasn't interested in learning to drive. :confused:

Parents for you!

My parents offered to pay for my lessons and test as getting a license ASAP made sense, however then laughed when they saw my 16k quote for insurance, so no car 3 years on, but have myself a pink license! :cool:

I don't think I have made anything dramatically stupid/expensive, the only close call was when I moved out of my parents & bought some white goods, carrying the fridge up the stairs with my dad the back radiator caught the steps and began to bend. Neither of us realised and thought it was stuck on something else, so pulled/pusher harder, bending it more, eventually got it up the stairs to realise it was close to snapping, but the gas still flows properly, so saved £300!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom