F1 2009 Season discussion/development thread

Caporegime
I don't get why people thought the diffuser would be thrown out. As I said earlier in the thread there will be a push from inside the powers that run F1 not to ban it and have Brawn on the front row. It will send out a signal that a team with a limited budget can compete and further strengthen the stance of what could happen if teams sign up to a set budget. Rewarding brains rather than 24 windtunnels running 24/7 with massive funding.

Really pleased for the teams that had the diffuser cleared.

One in the eye for everyone who keeps on banging on about ferrari appealing when 6 or 7 other teams did as well.

Man of Honour
One in the eye for everyone who keeps on banging on about ferrari appealing when 6 or 7 other teams did as well.

Firstly - it wasn't an appeal - they protested. The appeal comes later when they appeal the stewards decision.

6 or 7 other teams protested?

1) Ferrari
2) Red Bull
3) Renault
4) BMW *who got the paperwork wrong so was immediately binned*

I make those 4 to be less than the 7 or 8 you mention. ;)

Plus, if it was 8 teams who protested... which of the teams with the diffuser protested their own car? :D

Caporegime
There aren't even enough teams without the special diffuser for 8 to appeal!

Read the post you quoted. Who said 8?

Firstly - it wasn't an appeal - they protested. The appeal comes later when they appeal the stewards decision.

6 or 7 other teams protested?

1) Ferrari
2) Red Bull
3) Renault
4) BMW *who got the paperwork wrong so was immediately binned*

I make those 4 to be less than the 7 or 8 you mention. ;)

Plus, if it was 8 teams who protested... which of the teams with the diffuser protested their own car? :D

Again where did I say 8. I said 6 or 7. I meant protest when I said appeal, just a quickly written badly worded and thought out post.

Regardless if it wasn't 6 or 7 (and I'm sure more will come to the table once they have been fully ear bent by the others) it's considerably more than just ferrari who everyone keeps focusing on. The most vocal whiner has been flav.

Soldato
Tell me... how can they test the new components? Without violating the testing ban, which lasts until 01/01/2010?

The teams are allowed 8 days of straight line, or constant angle circular track testing during the season for aerodynamic purposes.

I believe McLaren have already used 1 last month.

Man of Honour
Aye yeah didn't think those numbers through at all. :D Doh.

Still if it does get banned blame Renault clearly in the FIA's pocket.

Are you in a job which involves counting? ;) If so can I avoid it? :D

Just blame it on Bernie - he needs to get some money back somehow after his divorce. Conspiracys must be the best way as it gets people watching. ;)

Associate
120322.jpg

With that center piece removed, that is very much like the 'illegal' diffusers.

This is the diffuser from the McLaren during testing:

diapo_184.jpg

Soldato
Best of luck to them, i just wish Ferrari, Renault and Red Bull would stop being a bunch of moaning fluffy kittens and get over themselves.

Does smack a little of "we didn't think of it, therefore no one can have it, so there!".

Anywho, as it now seems the "football fans" have returned ready for the start of the season, I shall depart the F1 threads on OcUK before my blood pressure goes back up again. All the best to JRS and his attempt to maintain his sanity here throughout the season.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I don't like to doom-monger, but the sport's governing body has a long and consistent record or banning innovations where designers have thought outside the box or interpreted rules differently to the bulk of the pack.

I hope they don't do it as a shake-up in the hierarchy of the grid is what the sport needs to make it exciting IMO - not rulechanges and new points systems.

Man of Honour
http://images.gpupdate.net/large/120322.jpg

With that center piece removed, that is very much like the 'illegal' diffusers.

This is the diffuser from the McLaren during testing:

http://www.f1-live.com/f1/photos/2009/tests77/diapo_184.jpg

Not really - the height of the diffuser is still 175mm above the reference plane, also that curved piece isn't hollow, so it is still a single element diffuser. What the 'diffuser 3' have done is to use the area allowed for the rear crash structure to create a second plane to the diffuser.

This image shows the differences

jnhbgvfscdfngh.jpg

Permabanned
Does smack a little of "we didn't think of it, therefore no one can have it, so there!".

Anywho, as it now seems the "football fans" have returned ready for the start of the season, I shall depart the F1 threads on OcUK before my blood pressure goes back up again. All the best to JRS and his attempt to maintain his sanity here throughout the season.

Enjoy the season up there on your high horse. :D

Associate
Not really - the height of the diffuser is still 175mm above the reference plane, also that curved piece isn't hollow, so it is still a single element diffuser. What the 'diffuser 3' have done is to use the area allowed for the rear crash structure to create a second plane to the diffuser.

This image shows the differences

jnhbgvfscdfngh.jpg
I understand the diffuser concept, I was just pointing out the difference of diffuser and possibly if that center piece is simply a cover up of the second plane, though I can kind of see how it isnt looking from a side perspective. Also the new center section looks different from the other legal diffusers and the extensions on the edges, this might be because of the new cut outs infront of the rear tyres and the center sections looks like it could be taking more use of the venturi principle, though I'm not an expert:D.

The new Mclaren diffuser could be a 'legal' version of the 'illegal' diffuser, if you hollowed out the bit above the center section. Maybe this might be because of mountings, if the other diffusers were allowed to be raced, then maybe they have version of this that is a relatively simple swap out, though now I'm just speculating, we will found out in the qualifying sessions what is what. Can't wait!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom