F1 2019 - Teams and Drivers - Who goes where?!

Permabanned
Yeah Daniel schooled Vettel that year. The RedBull won races but only in Ricciardo's hands. Vettel's best was a 2nd place. Both failed to be classified on three occasions.

I am sure at that time Sebastian already knew he would go to Ferrari from the next year.

And Red Bull probably denied access to Seb to their latest car improvements.

Soldato
I really don't think Vettel's head was in it in 2014. His child was born over the winter and after each day of testing he was flying back to Germany to be with his family, and only flying back just before jumping in the car. There were more important things in his life than F1.

Also Ricciardo won three races to Vettel's none, but only because Vettel was screwed in the pit-stops at the Canadian GP (Ricciardo's first win). Vettel also lost out at Hungary (Ricciardo's second win) as he was in the top 4, 7 seconds ahead of Ricciardo, but the timing of the safety car meant the top 4 all missed the pit entry (Ricciardo was able to pit, coming out in the lead after the leaders pitted the following lap, leaving Vettel in 7th).

I'm not excusing his lacklustre performances that year, but there was much more to that season than meets the eye on paper alone. I'm pretty sure had Ricciardo turned up in 2013 and not 2014 then it would have been a very different story. Hopefully it happens again so we can see a rematch. :)

And Ricciardo won in Australia but had it taken off him on a technical infringement that probably didn't affect the result.
Ricciardo finished 2nd on the road in Australia before he was disqualified.

Last edited:
Soldato
I really don't think Vettel's head was in it in 2014. His child was born over the winter and after each day of testing he was flying back to Germany to be with his family, and only flying back just before jumping in the car. There were more important things in his life than F1.

Also Ricciardo won three races to Vettel's none, but only because Vettel was screwed in the pit-stops at the Canadian GP (Ricciardo's first win). Vettel also lost out at Hungary (Ricciardo's second win) as he was in the top 4, 7 seconds ahead of Ricciardo, but the timing of the safety car meant the top 4 all missed the pit entry (Ricciardo was able to pit, coming out in the lead after the leaders pitted the following lap, leaving Vettel in 7th).

I'm not excusing his lacklustre performances that year, but there was much more to that season than meets the eye on paper alone. I'm pretty sure had Ricciardo turned up in 2013 and not 2014 then it would have been a very different story. Hopefully it happens again so we can see a rematch. :)

Ricciardo finished 2nd on the road in Australia before he was disqualified.

I think this is exactly it, on top of that, Vettel openly admitted Michael's accident had a profound impact on him.

Regardless I'm not sure why people like to downplay Vettel as a driver, he had a brilliant car at Red Bull but so has Lewis at Mercedes yet I don't see people downplaying his titles/talent? I use to dislike him but honestly his off-track persona is quite endearing.

As a Ferrari fan I would absolutely want a second driver with talent next to him. Ric would be the obvious candidate but honestly I would love for Ferrari to give the seat to Leclerc, though there is 0% chance of that happening.

Caporegime
Regardless I'm not sure why people like to downplay Vettel as a driver, he had a brilliant car at Red Bull but so has Lewis at Mercedes yet I don't see people downplaying his titles/talent?

Because Hamilton has shown many times he's top talent in cars that aren't the best as well as matching the mighty Alonso in his first F1 season. Vettel not so much. There's no doubt that Vettel is good, but as good as other multiple champions? I don't think so.

I use to dislike him but honestly his off-track persona is quite endearing.

Vettel's likeability seems to be inversely proportional to his success.

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
I guess they want to keep him to replace Alonso when he leaves shortly? His stock is clearly very high in F1 circles...

Sadly, I think he might do better elsewhere. Mclaren's current trajectory does not exactly look great!

Back
Top Bottom