F1 license for new game up for grabs

Permabanned
Formula One fans may have to wait for the next official video game, as Sony and F1 Chief Executive Bernie Ecclestone are reportedly locked in stalemate over a new publishing deal.

Sony Computer Entertainment's previous exclusive publishing deal, covering the 2003-2007 period, was for a rumoured $200 million, according to the technology news source TG Daily.

The website said the "gap between what Sony is willing to pay for a (new) license and what Bernie Ecclestone's (company)is demanding is too wide. "

Industry sources are reporting that rival computer publishers EA, Ubisoft and Codemasters may now be in the running for the new five-year contract.

The last Formula One game published by SCE and Liverpool Studios was based on the start of the 2006 season.

Soldato
Give it to polyphony I say.

I hope not, they would turn it into another yawnfest like GT Prolouge (sorry, i know it looks nice buts its dire) with no damage and the fastest time achieved by slamming into other cars and barriers. Then the small mater of it taking years to make, then after numerous delays that would release a demo to shut people up but make you pay for it!

The only people with pockets big enough are going to be EA or MS i reckon :(

Associate
You clearly haven't been keeping up with recent news regarding gt5p as far as damage is concerned. The game is a lot of fun with a wheel but you're free to disagree.

Associate
No 100% but I'm sure I read that in the PSN gamer day thing just past it was mentioned Sony are making a new one, and didn't Peter Moore mention a few months ago that EA would love to have the license but Sony have it tied up for now?

Soldato
360 has enough exclusives i thought. Do you want to take every game away from ps3 users?

You have the supposedly superior forza 2 motorsport anyway.

I own a PS3 too, so I don't want to take anything away...

No other console has an F1 game, however they do have their own exclusives for 'normal' car racing i.e. GT and Forza so they are catered for in that respect.

Denying other console users the chance to be able to play something as globally big as an F1 game is crap IMO.

Soldato
I doubt it would be wise of Sony to pay a huge amount to make it exclusive, if that scumbag BE is trying to extort so much money, only a cross platform developer is going to be able to make it pay.

Associate
I think its should be multiplat but I think the last one was really well made. Could be as realistic as you wanted so many different settings to suit the style you wanted etc. I dont think it will be as good if it goes to a 3rd party but thats just my opinion

Soldato
This is one game I actually think SHOULD go to EA. At least then we would get an update each year rather than have to wait for an age in between each one!!!

The OP doesn't suprise me in the least though - I bet old Bernie is asking an absolute fortune for the rights and it would explain why Geoff Crammond hasn't done an F1 game for ages... I bet MicroProse couldn't afford the rights!!!

Baz

Baz

Soldato
This is one game I actually think SHOULD go to EA. At least then we would get an update each year rather than have to wait for an age in between each one!!!

The OP doesn't suprise me in the least though - I bet old Bernie is asking an absolute fortune for the rights and it would explain why Geoff Crammond hasn't done an F1 game for ages... I bet MicroProse couldn't afford the rights!!!

DO they still even exist???

edit: just wiki'd and they have had their fair share of buyouts :eek: though their last release was Geoff Crammonds GP4 :(

Back
Top Bottom