F1 Season 2024 - Pre-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Sprint weekend format has been changed. Now sprint quali and free practice on a Friday, sprint race on Saturday followed by main race quali then main race on Sunday.
Any details on what happens in terms of being able to qualify for the main race if you smash your car to bits in the sprint? I'd guess allowed to start from pits?

Whilst it makes competitive sense to not have main race qualifying happening on the Friday afternoon, I wonder if this will see a bit more caution employed in the sprint - you stand to lose quite a bit if you screw up your sprint with an accident now as qualifying immediately follows, whereas last year you still had overnight to rebuild and take your qualified place on the grid on the Sunday if you binned it in the sprint.

Soldato
Any details on what happens in terms of being able to qualify for the main race if you smash your car to bits in the sprint? I'd guess allowed to start from pits?

Whilst it makes competitive sense to not have main race qualifying happening on the Friday afternoon, I wonder if this will see a bit more caution employed in the sprint - you stand to lose quite a bit if you screw up your sprint with an accident now as qualifying immediately follows, whereas last year you still had overnight to rebuild and take your qualified place on the grid on the Sunday if you binned it in the sprint.
Can't find the detail on that. You're right though, the Sprint could really mess up your race if you can't make qualifying.

Caporegime

Usually when they can't quali they are allowed to start from the pits, I can't see why there would be different rules. I imagine most of the time they will be able to repair the car anyway; most crashes aren't Mick-specials.

Soldato
Usually when they can't quali they are allowed to start from the pits, I can't see why there would be different rules.
I suspect that'll be the case.

I imagine most of the time they will be able to repair the car anyway; most crashes aren't Mick-specials.
It'll presumably only be a few hours though between finishing the sprint race and starting qualifying - I know they're good but there's only so much rebuilding you can get done in a few hours from late morning to early afternoon :p

Caporegime
It'll presumably only be a few hours though between finishing the sprint race and starting qualifying - I know they're good but there's only so much rebuilding you can get done in a few hours from late morning to early afternoon :p

Usually when there are crashes in FP1 they get it fixed for FP2; usually when there is a crash in FP3 they get it fixed for Quali. Hell, we've seen them fix crashes on the way to the grid before the race starts, and damage during red flags. Most of the time you're looking at damage to body damage, broken suspension, or wrecked rear wings - all of those can be patched up pretty quickly. Even stuff like changing a diff or a gear box can be done inside an hour.

Soldato
Usually when there are crashes in FP1 they get it fixed for FP2; usually when there is a crash in FP3 they get it fixed for Quali. Hell, we've seen them fix crashes on the way to the grid before the race starts, and damage during red flags. Most of the time you're looking at damage to body damage, broken suspension, or wrecked rear wings - all of those can be patched up pretty quickly. Even stuff like changing a diff or a gear box can be done inside an hour.

I guess I'm just expecting racing crashes to more frequently end up with more significant damage than free practice crashes typically would, though I don't know if stats would actually back that up.

Caporegime
I guess I'm just expecting racing crashes to more frequently end up with more significant damage than free practice crashes typically would, though I don't know if stats would actually back that up.

Yeah, I think you're probably right about that - and I expect we will see at least one driver miss quali due to a crash in the sprints - I just don't think it's going to be that major a deal.

Associate
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom