• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fallout 4 CPU benchmark thread(need some Zen3 and Zen4 results!)

Associate
@themontanio
Didnt' have them backed up anywhere (at least that I could find!), but put the things I did have going by the original AT thread:
However, I am unsure about the ini files - certainly when I tried to fire up FO4 it seemed to be default settings not the 480P we need for this.
So it may be that I only have save games.
Don't have anywhere to host them, so I'll try sending you a PM and then I could email them. They aren't that big (3MB for a zip, 2MB for a 7zip), so that should work.

No, ignore that: I found the 7z files which should be what what we all benched with.

Associate
Thanks to @KompuKare for sending over the files!

As expected, older HEDT chips perform poorly

On my i9-7920X (mostly stock 4.4GHz / 2.7GHz mesh) and 4x16GB DDR4-3200 (15-17-17-34-T1) + RTX3080:
~8118: 56.6 FPS
~11793: 44.9 FPS
Yes, that's a pretty poor showing for such a power hungry system. At least you should have plenty of PCIe slots for multiple NVMe etc. (all those 2TB being cheap now but being only able to have a few NVMe slots - even with using a PCIe slot for another - means I am still holding on for 4TB to get cheap!).
iAuHheh.png

So about the same as that Zen APU with onboard (not that these benches test the GPU much but the iGPU will rob the CPU of memory bandwidth) with slightly more power usage.

Soldato
OP
Yes, that's a pretty poor showing for such a power hungry system. At least you should have plenty of PCIe slots for multiple NVMe etc. (all those 2TB being cheap now but being only able to have a few NVMe slots - even with using a PCIe slot for another - means I am still holding on for 4TB to get cheap!).
iAuHheh.png

So about the same as that Zen APU with onboard (not that these benches test the GPU much but the iGPU will rob the CPU of memory bandwidth) with slightly more power usage.
Sweclockers tested the Intel HEDT chips of that generation and Fallout 4 didn't like them. Must be the Mesh topology they use.

Associate
@themontanio
Didnt' have them backed up anywhere (at least that I could find!), but put the things I did have going by the original AT thread:
However, I am unsure about the ini files - certainly when I tried to fire up FO4 it seemed to be default settings not the 480P we need for this.
So it may be that I only have save games.
Don't have anywhere to host them, so I'll try sending you a PM and then I could email them. They aren't that big (3MB for a zip, 2MB for a 7zip), so that should work.

No, ignore that: I found the 7z files which should be what what we all benched with.
Can you bundle all the links into a 7z and upload somewhere? Almost every link is broken

Associate
Can you bundle all the links into a 7z and upload somewhere? Almost every link is broken
It's the somewhere part I have trouble with.

Can't think of any decent place to share things without having to sign up etc., and don't want to use my Google Drive for this.

Last edited:
Associate
Okay, pCloud it is then:
SHA256 should be:
f2d09283642b85a4af11580adcefaf850e26e0f9fdc1f94ace5b8316b51225ba
Those are the files I send to @themontanio in post #342 above. Ini and saves are the ones we should use. For the ENB version there may be a newer one, but I don't think it matters much.

Soldato
OP
@KompuKare

Made a new thread WRT to CPU performance in Starfield:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Without someone with the hardware and time and skill to totally trace and service this, we will probably never know. AMD engineers could probably have done so but sponsorship doesn't seem to mean they do anything deep!

Could be anything:
from a compiler flag - but Bethesda no longer leave things in x87 fall back mode!
Maybe even a single instruction Intel does better with and which is used a lot by, e.g., the Papyrus runtime.
Or some branch where Intel's branch predictor is better.

Just hope that whatever it is doesn't get fixed to prevent some speculative execution exploit!

I edited my post - I put CPU benchmarks in a new thread.

Associate
My system:
- 5800x3d @ stock
- 2x16GB DDR4 3600 MHz
- Radeon 6800 stock

Results:
- 8000 drawcalls = 112 fps
- 11700 drawcalls = 91 fps

Question: How comes the combination of a 5800x3d and a 980ti scores so much higher than the same processor combined with newer generations of GPU's?

Last edited:
Associate
My system:
- 5800x3d @ stock
- 2x16GB DDR4 3600 MHz
- Radeon 6800 stock

Results:
- 8000 drawcalls = 112 fps
- 11700 drawcalls = 91 fps

Question: How comes the combination of a 5800x3d and a 980ti scores so much higher than the same processor combined with newer generations of GPU's?
Welcome to the thread and forum!

Those results put you at #42 overall
UsElmim.png

For some reason FO4 and Skyrim really prefer Nvidia. Most be something about the way the drivers handle the calldraws or similar.
Of the 5800x3D's, yours is the highest scoring Radeon system.
zZx2bkr.png

Also, while Ryzen 3D really appeals for its plug-and-play nature, you will note that the top scoring systems mostly have tightly tuned RAM as well.

Anyhow, here we are measuring mostly theoretical drawcall limits at 480P, and the 980 Ti soon runs out of power when asked to run FO4 at 1440P with tons of texture mods.

Associate
Welcome to the thread and forum!

Those results put you at #42 overall
UsElmim.png

For some reason FO4 and Skyrim really prefer Nvidia. Most be something about the way the drivers handle the calldraws or similar.
Of the 5800x3D's, yours is the highest scoring Radeon system.
zZx2bkr.png

Also, while Ryzen 3D really appeals for its plug-and-play nature, you will note that the top scoring systems mostly have tightly tuned RAM as well.

Anyhow, here we are measuring mostly theoretical drawcall limits at 480P, and the 980 Ti soon runs out of power when asked to run FO4 at 1440P with tons of texture mods.
Thanks for the detailed response. So your saying that the 980ti only scores that much higher than more modern GPU's because of the memory having better timings? So that means that it would be also more worthwhile to invest in faster ram if you are drawcall limited in modded Skyrim / Fallout 4? Compared to investing into a more power GPU I mean.

Here are my timings btw:
DRZ4ZFq.png

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for the detailed response. So your saying that the 980ti only scores that much higher than more modern GPU's because of the memory having better timings? So that means that it would be also more worthwhile to invest in faster ram if you are drawcall limited in modded Skyrim / Fallout 4? Compared to investing into a more power GPU I mean.

Here are my timings btw:
DRZ4ZFq.png
Well, the 980 Ti is Nvidia so even with the same timings as, for example, @Robert896r1 it is unlikely that your Radeon 6800 would score the same. However, if the 980 Ti was the only competition then at resolutions and with mods the experience of the 6800 would be better. Now against an Nvidia card with enough grunt and VRAM like a 3090 etc., the Radeon driver overhead (for DX11 anyhow, for DX12 AMD's overheads are better than Nvidia's) would kick in.

The top scorers here aren't just those running a high RAM clock but more those who have good RAM which is able to handle good timing (for which the RAM modules, motherboard and CPU are a factor).
But basically, this test running at 480P is mostly in spite of the GPU. The only major factor GPU wise is the GPU vendor with Nvidia's DX11 driver stack having a very noticeable advantage versus AMD's DX11 driver stack - at least in these games.
UsElmim.png

On the other hand, the Radeon 6800 has 16GB of VRAM and there are Skyrim Wabbajack modlists which state that even for 1440P they want 12GB VRAM so as long as the 16GB 6800 is cheaper than a 12/16/24GB Nvidia card (used 3090s are probably the cheapest) then it is good value for playing modded FO4/Skyrim.

Associate
Hmmm, thanks for the info, very insightful. Did already order a 7900 xtx and a 4080 to compare, so I also ran the test with them.

7900 xtx:
8000 drawcalls = 113 fps
11700 drawcalls = 93 fps

4080:
8000 drawcalls = 130 fps
11700 drawcalls = 108

Rest of the system was the same. These results do seem to confirm that in general NVidia drivers are more efficient when it comes to drawcalls. There was basically no improvement from a 6800 to a 7900 xtx, but a massive jump with the 4080.

At the same time, in my heavily modded Skyrim at full resolution (3440x1440) you see no significant difference between the 7900 xtx and 4080.

H2ni3U2.png

Last edited:
Associate
I'm having a problem parsing the results; could someone tell me which combination of PBO etc counts as "stock" for the 7800x3D? Trying to work out what looks like the best "plug and play" system without tuning, and failing.

Associate
Hmmm, thanks for the info, very insightful. Did already order a 7900 xtx and a 4080 to compare, so I also ran the test with them.

7900 xtx:
8000 drawcalls = 113 fps
11700 drawcalls = 93 fps

4080:
8000 drawcalls = 130 fps
11700 drawcalls = 108

Rest of the system was the same. These results do seem to confirm that in general NVidia drivers are more efficient when it comes to drawcalls. There was basically no improvement from a 6800 to a 7900 xtx, but a massive jump with the 4080.

At the same time, in my heavily modded Skyrim at full resolution (3440x1440) you see no significant difference between the 7900 xtx and 4080.

H2ni3U2.png
Dedication!
bRDxONU.png

The same setup with just different GPUs is a really useful.
We also got a new result over on the AT forum (the original place for these benchmarking attempts).

As for Skyrim SE with mods, it seem the 7900 XTX has far better mins than the 6800 there.

Guess the question there is, what and where did you bench? Dragon's Reach was popular with reviewers but not sure if there is that much NPC activity there. As @CAT-THE-FIFTH can tell you, the most taxing part of Fallout 4 is settlements with tons of NPC and automation contraptions - which is harder to measure in Skyrim.

@q974739
Unsure, but here is the full chart of all results:
VloZM4U.png

Most like a 7800X3D @ stock is the best bet at this although for Starfield the 3D cache seems mostly wasted - no guarantee that those changes will ever make it back to FO4 though.

Associate
Decided to add two others columns to the results: CPU Name and GPU make so I could use some AVERAGEIFS, here is the results:
cKPPk0Q.png

Yes, I know this ignores all the hard work of people with their tuned memory etc. which might get some people the wrong idea - as someone who doesn't tune their memory (or whose RAM or motherboard are poor) will get below the average - but it is a far easier to digest thing.
Might be an even easier thing to digest if I took out the 10-20 of the worst performers.

Back
Top Bottom