• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fallout 4 CPU benchmark thread(need some Zen3 and Zen4 results!)

Are you referring to the Inis or in game settings?

I used the guide with the ENB, saves and both inis.

Screenshots are included in the Anandtech thread, latest post.
The resolution setting needs to be 640X480 IIRC for it to be fully CPU bound.

When I ran it,I just reduced the desktop resolution temporarily to make it easier for me.

Thanks, that score puts you at the top of the scoreboard!
CJif0tu.png

Unless there is a GPU bottleneck being reached,it seems Alderlake and Raptorlake seem to be similar in performance. It could be another instance,that the game is very L3/memory speed and latency dependent.

I noticed this post over on AT forums:

With https://github.com/clamchowder/MsrUtil/releases I tried to measure L3 hit rate with my 5600x. It's reading 70% for Oblivion/FNV, 52% for SSE, 49% for FO4. This lines up with my understanding that larger L3/faster ram benefits perf more on newer Bethesda games vs old ones.

Well same core, so caches and thermals are about the only actual changes between the two. It is always possible RPL has a better IMC so maybe if someone were to post RPL + Extreme DDR5 clocks they might take the #1 spot.

Had sort of missed that post over on AT. Would certainly be an interesting data point to add these benches but not everyone wants more work!

The cores on Raptorlake are faster and seem to clock higher,but the Creation Engine version in Fallout 4 shows very limited scaling past six cores. From AT:

Focusing on changes to the cache, the 13th Gen Core series has more L2 cache. For the new Raptor Cove core, Intel has added more L2 cache when compared to Alder Lake, with 1.6x more with 2 Mb per P-core. The levels of L2 cache assigned to each array of E-cores now equates to 4 Mb; up from 2 Mb. This means Intel has improved the L2 cache on both core types. For the L3 cache, Intel hasn't made any strides and has left things unchanged.

I think any changes at similar RAM speeds and latencies might be down to the increase in L2 cache size.

@zero989 that puts you at #3 in the leaderboard. Seems FO4 despite being known to love memory speeds, doesn't really care for DDR5 that much. Or at least, high-end DDR4 well tuned performs very similar.
@Topuz that put you at #8.
7wbYDz2.png

Might be because DDR5 has relatively poor latencies. But we might also be hitting the limits of the engine too??

Edit!!

BTW,you made a typo or two in result three. I would also imagine the DDR5 clockspeed would be doubled?

Last edited:
2dF58Ko.png dZFRqSd.png
My OC is done. This is my daily driver OC of 5.72ghz. I can go 5.8 or maybe 5.9ghz, but I prefer to stay on safer side.

image.png

As expected, ram speed matters lot more in FO4 vs Oblivion. I only got SR ram and it can't clock ultra high without compromises.

image.png

image.png

Some of the extra stuff I posted from the other threads that are relevant to FO4.

CPU: 13600kf 5.72ghz/5.018ghz ring, 2x8GB 3813 16-15-8-13-20-1T, 3080ti

Have you got links to those other threads? I actually did some timeruns when I had my Ryzen 7 3700X and Ryzen 7 5700X with my modded game(400+ mods) but never got around to uploading them.

Last edited:
Ahh, I just meant my Oblivion benching threads. I have a little bit more I might post in those threads, specifically Oblivion stutter test now with 30 passes each (5600x vs 13600kf vs 13600kf + DXVK). + I just posted some new charts in those threads (some of which are not FO4 related).

BTW,if you look at the main chart,I tested a Ryzen 7 3700X with different RAM speeds,a Ryzen 7 5700X and a Core i5 10400. The Core i5 10400F with 2666MHZ DDR4 was basically matching my old Ryzen 7 3700X with 3600CL16 RAM! It makes me think,that the Core i5 10400 with the RAM set to 3200MHZ would probably match my Ryzen 7 5700X!

So I think for Fallout 4 and Oblivion,something like a Core i5 12400F with decent RAM and the TDP unlocked,would make the ideal entry level CPU for these games.

I remember these Techspot charts lol. I dunno where they tested, but I remember people screaming RAM DOESN'T MATTER! And even in Overclock.net in overclocking thread for RPL, I've had people say or tell me, 'why are you OCing? CPU perf doesn't even matter for games'.

I think reducing shadow draw distance to medium values fDirShadowDistance=3000 rather than 20000, iDirShadowSplits=2 rather than 3 helps a lot for slower cpus. There's also the Shadow Boost mod on Nexus which can dynamically lower shadow draw distance, though I don't think it touches idireshadowsplits. Corvega was an early meme in terms of performance, but Faneuil Hall's perf is driven in large part by shadow detail/distance.

7800x3d is going to be so interesting for FO4. I might wait for Arrow Lake or Zen 5 3d, and then the improvements ought to be massive again. When I saw 55-83% increase in perf in games, the numbers looked like fan fiction BS. But with bench results from so many people for Oblivion and FO4 all showing larger than life gains, I had to believe the gains are far larger than reviews show. 7800x3d's not going to be massively behind RPL in general single thread perf, so it doesn't have my issue with 5800x3d either. Will perf live up to expectations or did zen4 already took some of those gains with the front end changes? Will they price it well? We'll find out!

unknown.png

unknown.png

edit:
Btw I think the color coding for my new CPU is wrong. :p

I have the issue is that I like making big settlements,so it really hammers performance. I once built a massive skyscraper at Abernathy Farm with dozens of NPCs. Performance was rather interesting! :cry:

But Sim Settlements 2 does seem to add more CPU load because there is so much more scripting going on with it added.

@KompuKare Still no Zen4 results! :(

Last edited:
I have 2 large settlement save files for benchmarking, but I might have a new version ready before I upgrade out of RPL, whenever that is. I have to think about how big/dense I want it to be. I wonder if building in that "triangle of death" around Abernathy Farm/Sanctuary/Red Rocket will bring down frame rates further. :D

We can go CRAZY in terms of settlements, but just how crazy should we go for benching? As crazy as is realistic, or even further, just in case?

It's bad enough building in two of those locations at the same time! Three would be definitely be a cinematic experience!

Well, what can we do? Go back to the Zen4 owners thread and beg!?

TBF,I am surprised we got so many Ryzen 7 5800X3D results!

Some confoundingly subpar results to report.

CPU: Core i9-9900K @ 4.8 GHz GPU: RTX 3080ti
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz OS: Windows 10 64bit

Corvega- Draw Calls: 11040 FPS: 62.4
Diamond City- Draw Calls: 8105 FPS: 78.4

Is it my crappy single rank RAM?

Maybe your positioning when getting the FPS isn't helping as the drawcall numbers indicate you are in a different position. You will lose a few FPS that way. This is roughly where u need to be:

Also what are you memory subtimings? 3200CL16? 3200CL18?

User: domdtxdissar/Det0x
7950x3d PBO CO
6600MT/s tight timings, 2166mhz FCLK --> same memory settings as shown here: https://imgur.com/a/PTDq9Sl
SMT disabled

Both CCD's enabled and "24/7 settings".

Corvega- Draw Calls: 7993 @ 167.2 FPS
Diamond City- Draw Calls: 11719 @ 134.8 FPS

CCD1 disabled, 106 baseclock
Corvega- Draw Calls: 7999 @ 178.6 FPS
Diamond City- Draw Calls: 11701 @ 141.9 FPS

A massive increase in performance!

Edit!!

The performance increase over the Ryzen 9 7950X you tested is massive!

Last edited:
@KompuKare Didn't Nvidia try to do implement some form of multi-threading for their DX11 drivers?

Edit!!

But the Radeon 7000 series result with the Ryzen 7 7800X3D,is a huge improvement over the Ryzen 7 5800X3D with a RX5700XT. The improvement seems more than with an Nvidia RTX3000 series dGPU going from a Ryzen 7 5800X3D to a Ryzen 7 7800X3D.

Last edited:
Yet another 7800X3D entry.
Corvega Draw Calls: 11698 FPS: 126.2
Diamond City Draw Calls: 7998 FPS: 150.0
jU4rCqf.jpg
17c23CN.jpg

CPU: 7800X3D PBO OC -20
RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 6000 XMP 30-40-40-96
GPU: RTX 3080ti OS: Windows 10

(I updated to 7800X3D just so I can play Fallout 4 VR without stutters. Thanks to everyone who posted results that gave me the confidence to choose the 7800X3d over intel.)

You almost doubled your Fallout 4 performance!

Back
Top Bottom