• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fallout 4 CPU benchmark thread(need some Zen3 and Zen4 results!)

New post over on AT:
User yuke improved their rankings from #25 to #2. Mostly be swapping from a 7900 XTX to an RTX 2080:
vPN5epA.png

DX12 is one thing, but for DX11 it seems that for FO4 the Radeon drivers have an overhead problem.
A bit of a concern for me as I still play the game. I hope the Anniversary Edition or whatever it is called is better optimised!

Opps, sorry. Copy and paste error, almost the same indeed!
Corrected it above, and here's the top 10:
71y9ten.png

So that's better. Number 4, probably without BLK overclocking like yuke and even faster memory it is hard to get much higher.

I keep including the S1/S2 ratio in the hope that it tells us something about drawcall vs NPCs (as CoreVega should have far more NPCs), but while there is variation I am unsure it means much.

It's outside and most of the NPCs are spread out in a large area - Diamond City has a lot of NPCs in a relative small area.

Yes, that's a pretty poor showing for such a power hungry system. At least you should have plenty of PCIe slots for multiple NVMe etc. (all those 2TB being cheap now but being only able to have a few NVMe slots - even with using a PCIe slot for another - means I am still holding on for 4TB to get cheap!).
iAuHheh.png

So about the same as that Zen APU with onboard (not that these benches test the GPU much but the iGPU will rob the CPU of memory bandwidth) with slightly more power usage.
Sweclockers tested the Intel HEDT chips of that generation and Fallout 4 didn't like them. Must be the Mesh topology they use.

@KompuKare

Made a new thread WRT to CPU performance in Starfield:

Last edited:
Without someone with the hardware and time and skill to totally trace and service this, we will probably never know. AMD engineers could probably have done so but sponsorship doesn't seem to mean they do anything deep!

Could be anything:
from a compiler flag - but Bethesda no longer leave things in x87 fall back mode!
Maybe even a single instruction Intel does better with and which is used a lot by, e.g., the Papyrus runtime.
Or some branch where Intel's branch predictor is better.

Just hope that whatever it is doesn't get fixed to prevent some speculative execution exploit!

I edited my post - I put CPU benchmarks in a new thread.

GameGPU tested the new update:

The Nvidia dGPU bias seems to still be there,but AMD CPUs seem closer to the Intel one?

@KompuKare Time to start a new benchmarking thread with the update?

That's what is so cool about these forum threads. Literally nowhere else have I seen draw call performance measured in an actual game that people play that can get complex enough to really push the limit. Like all the other Fallout 4 reviews just do a 5 minute fly through of Sanctuary and Concord. Which obv makes the numbers look really nice compared to what you get after actually making a settlement.

Oblivion can make modern CPUs cry with how ancient the code is. I remember enabling LOD models for every piece of architecture, and being royally disappointed by my new i7 6700k lmao. Was barely pushing to 13fps depending on the camera angle because of all the draw calls.

I'm really curious to see how intel's draw calls are. Because if they are actually better than AMD they might actually be worth buying for that.

Only one review site bothered doing settlement benchmarks and that was HardOCP. Some of the Polish websites tested parts of the cities which also seem to have push a heavier load. The other benchmarks were too light. But even with your Core i7 fast DDR4 would make a noticeable difference over slower RAM.

The reason I pushed this thread over on this forum,was a lack of modern CPU test results in the AT thread. Hopefully when the Zen5 CPUs are out we can check the results.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom