• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Far Cry 6 GPU performance not bad at all but is severely bottlenecked by CPU

Permabanned
i think huge problem with modern games is that there are not much settings that realistically manipulate CPU performance.... dunno why , what limitation?

this game is another offender. put everything to low and cpu perf. maybe improve by %10 or something. laughable. this kind of direction makes cpu bound performance tweaks impossible and forces the user to upgrade...

Soldato
OP
To be fair if you watch the full video, even my utilisation drops half way through, but at the start it's up over 90%. Our GPUs are just too fast. ;)

Nah don't blame the GPU. Lisa Su a couple years ago said "The CPU's job is to get out of the way of the GPU", so blame the CPU, not the GPU

Associate
Trying to hold off playing it over the weekend on the 10900k\2080s Area 51 laptop, the Aurora R10 5950x\3090\64gig ram has shipped arriving monday

Soldato
I'm not sure whether to bother with this until I upgrade. Can't even get locked 60fps on FC5.

GPU happy at 40k/60 as dropping gpu res/settings etc doesn't help.

Trusty 4790k ready for the retirement home in the next decent cpu release cycle

Your 3070 is solid, but it's neutered by that CPU. You really should change it if you can, it would be a huge leap in performance and smoothness.

Caporegime
Been playing for a few hours now, 5950X handles this like a champ at 4K. GPU utilisation is pegged at 99% solid, no dips just smooth gameplay.

Smart Access Memory provides a nice uplift too it seems. It works very well for minimum and average FPS in games where there is a CPU limited scenarios.

Associate
Been playing for a few hours now, 5950X handles this like a champ at 4K. GPU utilisation is pegged at 99% solid, no dips just smooth gameplay.

Smart Access Memory provides a nice uplift too it seems. It works very well for minimum and average FPS in games where there is a CPU limited scenarios.

Excellent news! Though if a 5950X couldn't handle it, the game has aimed far too high, that thing is a beast...

One point with SAM or Resizeable BAR, should this be included in testing? For either Nvidia or AMD? It's more of a complimentary system test than strictly GPU test, seems more about locking into a particular system. Definitely a welcome bonus, don't get me wrong, but it's not exactly an apples with apples comparison.

Had a look at a couple of reviews which seems to pair AMD cards with Intel CPUs which is not optimal, but probably a truer (strictly) GPU reflection. Or it would be, if they then tested Nvidia GPUs on an AMD system. Just a thought, I might be miles off the mark.

Caporegime
Excellent news! Though if a 5950X couldn't handle it, the game has aimed far too high, that thing is a beast...

One point with SAM or Resizeable BAR, should this be included in testing? For either Nvidia or AMD? It's more of a complimentary system test than strictly GPU test, seems more about locking into a particular system. Definitely a welcome bonus, don't get me wrong, but it's not exactly an apples with apples comparison.

Had a look at a couple of reviews which seems to pair AMD cards with Intel CPUs which is not optimal, but probably a truer (strictly) GPU reflection. Or it would be, if they then tested Nvidia GPUs on an AMD system. Just a thought, I might be miles off the mark.
Everyone supports the technology now, so really no reason not to enable it.

If it hurts performance for one side, I'd have no problem with it being disabled in testing. That's just logical.

However, it's not logical to disable it for one side when it brings performance uplifts of up to 10% in many games, unless of course you want to present favourable results for one particular side.

5950X or Intel's fastest CPU equivalent with SAM/Rebar should be the minimum CPU/seteup used for testing high end GPUs IMO. Any other testing setups used now I disregard as I know it's not giving the full picture.

Last edited:
Associate
Fair enough, more thinking out loud really. Does Nvidia's re-bar not work as well as SAM? I enabled it when it became available, and saw no real world difference, but I wasn't testing and writing down numbers. So maybe there is a change but negligible enough to not worry. Although in which case for people looking to make a purchase of a GPU, it is probably more helpful to show results with AND without SAM/Re-bar, as it may give more indication of the improvement THEY could expect for THEIR system. Pretty certain AMD would come out on top with this game regardless.

Soldato
Nah don't blame the GPU. Lisa Su a couple years ago said "The CPU's job is to get out of the way of the GPU", so blame the CPU, not the GPU
Blame the developers more like, maybe someone should tell them we don't have single core CPUs anymore and they should take a class in CPU multithreading.

Soldato
Fair enough, more thinking out loud really. Does Nvidia's re-bar not work as well as SAM? I enabled it when it became available, and saw no real world difference, but I wasn't testing and writing down numbers. So maybe there is a change but negligible enough to not worry. Although in which case for people looking to make a purchase of a GPU, it is probably more helpful to show results with AND without SAM/Re-bar, as it may give more indication of the improvement THEY could expect for THEIR system. Pretty certain AMD would come out on top with this game regardless.
ReBar doesn't work as well. SAM can provide up to twice the performance uplift.

Back
Top Bottom