• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Far Cry 6 GPU performance not bad at all but is severely bottlenecked by CPU

Caporegime
@Poneros

More reports.

U29fI4i.png

I was sort of joking when i said 3080 users should upgrade to a 3060, but honestly if this is your only game and you play at 4K Max Settings, perhaps it's not such bad advice after all. :p

I can only begin to imagine, with a slight chuckle, some of the reactions to this from a certain few, but alas I will never see them. :p

Clutch at them straws my boi :D

Shame you have me and others on ignore as you won't see your "arguments" getting nuked from orbit, probably why we're all on ignore.... :D

With regards to their results, weird how all the other sites haven't experienced the same issues... Does seem a bug with fps crashing in general for no good reason though as if people watch jokers video, you'll see where he said he had his fps drop to like 5 fps (on a 3080ti) and it only went back up to normal fps when he took a screenshot, so yeah some work to be done it seems and as ubi have said, they are looking into the issues too.

Another performance look here, not as good as the others but seems to fall in line with the other 5 rated tech sites:

https://www.tweaktown.com/articles/9955/far-cry-benchmarked-1080p-1440p-4k/index.html#Benchmarks-4K

Hopefully digital foundry and gamers nexus will get a video up too.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Seems the poor reviews I have seen are pretty much spot.

I get the feeling there is a good chance this is just bugs in the game. I mean it did get delayed a few times as I recall. We will see over the next few months I guess.

Permabanned
I'm assuming Ubisoft are hard at work on the remaster as this already looks like a 5 year old game. Good to see Hardware Unboxed talking about how poor RDNA2 is with raytracing in an attempt to explain this. Which reminds me, when did I first say AMD would hold back PC gaming?

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Seems the poor reviews I have seen are pretty much spot.
I get the feeling there is a good chance this is just bugs in the game. I mean it did get delayed a few times as I recall. We will see over the next few months I guess.

I think its par for the course for most game releases these days. I know you were an exception with CP not long back but I generally wait a few months for the patches to kick in so when I get round to play it is normally cheaper and has less glitches to mar the experience.

Caporegime
I'm assuming Ubisoft are hard at work on the remaster as this already looks like a 5 year old game. Good to see Hardware Unboxed talking about how poor RDNA2 is with raytracing in an attempt to explain this. Which reminds me, when did I first say AMD would hold back PC gaming?

Yup they have certainly changed their tune as originally they came across as rather anti nvidia/ray tracing but seems they have finally realised what's going on now, saying that they kind of have to address it now given all the evidence out there now.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I think its par for the course for most game releases these days. I know you were an exception with CP not long back but I generally wait a few months for the patches to kick in so when I get round to play it is normally cheaper and has less glitches to mar the experience.
Yep. I do the same most of the time. But on occasions I do fancy playing day 1. I did it last with Resident Evil Village and apart from one area where the drm would tank fps a little, it was a very polished game.

Soldato
OP
@Poneros

More reports.

U29fI4i.png

I was sort of joking when i said 3080 users should upgrade to a 3060, but honestly if this is your only game and you play at 4K Max Settings, perhaps it's not such bad advice after all. :p

I can only begin to imagine, with a slight chuckle, some of the reactions to this from a certain few, but alas I will never see them. :p

I guess 10gb vram really isn't enough. Poor RTX3080 owners, if only they listened and bought a 2080ti instead - 40fps a lot better than 6fps :).

Its ok, 3080 owners can still play the game - they just have to disable HD textures and turn off Ray Tracing, good thing the 3080 isn't a high end or expensive GPU ;) or it would be embarrassing to have to disable feature in a modern game on an expensive high end GPU.

Soldato
Nice to see the usual Nvidia trolls out to claim it's crap based purely on the fact it is AMD spondsored. These are the same people who claim Cybercrap 2077 is "next gen".

At least Far Cry 6 has water physics and from what I can see it actually looks very nice graphically. Seeing plenty of reviews calling it visually stunning. Some others are saying it is mediocre but all that shows is that people have subjective views on this. I personally found CP2077 very mediocre and not once did I ever think "wow this is next level graphically". I found Watchdogs Legion much more realistic graphically.

Guru3D
"It's important to remember that visual quality is something you want and prefer while playing on a computer rather than a console, else you'd be playing on a console. Far Cry 6 really delivers in this regard; it's a visually appealing game, especially at high-quality and ultra settings."

TechRadar
"Far Cry 6 is a visually stunning title. As mentioned, Yara is an incredibly beautiful place to explore. No matter where you are on the island paradise, you can easily turn your immediate surroundings into a gorgeous screenshot".

I for one am glad it is not relying on ray tracing to become just acceptable graphically, like we see with CP2077. I don't find people saying "I can barely tell when RT is on of off", to be a negative.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I guess 10gb vram really isn't enough. Poor RTX3080 owners, if only they listened and bought a 2080ti instead - 40fps a lot better than 6fps :)
Or just don’t bother with dxr which seems to make little to no difference. Rather have my 3070 than a 2080Ti personally myself. Just look how badly the 1080Ti is ageing. Not that I will be keeping the 3070 for long either. Soon as next gen cards are out I will be on a 4070/80 or a 7800 XT.

Nice to see the usual Nvidia trolls out to claim it's crap based purely on the fact it is AMD spondsored. These are the same people who claim Cybercrap 2077 is "next gen".

At least Far Cry 6 has water physics and from what I can see it actually looks very nice graphically. Seeing plenty of reviews calling it visually stunning. Some others are saying it is mediocre but all that shows is that people have subjective views on this. I personally found CP2077 very mediocre and not once did I ever think "wow this is next level graphically". I found Watchdogs Legion much more realistic graphically.

Guru3D
"It's important to remember that visual quality is something you want and prefer while playing on a computer rather than a console, else you'd be playing on a console. Far Cry 6 really delivers in this regard; it's a visually appealing game, especially at high-quality and ultra settings."

TechRadar
"Far Cry 6 is a visually stunning title. As mentioned, Yara is an incredibly beautiful place to explore. No matter where you are on the island paradise, you can easily turn your immediate surroundings into a gorgeous screenshot".

I for one am glad it is not relying on ray tracing to become just acceptable graphically, like we see with CP2077. I don't find people saying "I can barely tell when RT is on of off", to be a negative.
I don’t think it’s crap. But based on may reviews it ain’t anything special either. It is poor relative to expectations. Having such a good actor onboard for the game one would think they would have done a better job. I was even considering getting a Ubisoft pass for a month to play it. Not after seeing the reviews though.

Oh and I why do people want to make it an AMD vs Nvidia thing all the time?

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I don’t think it’s crap. But based on may reviews it ain’t anything special either. It is poor relative to expectations. Having such a good actor onboard for the game one would think they would have done a better job. I was even considering getting a Ubisoft pass for a month to play it. Not after seeing the reviews though.

Speaking of this, I didn't play CP but what was the Keanu Reeves thing all about? Did same apply to that?

Soldato

Oh and I why do people want to make it an AMD vs Nvidia thing all the time?

Yet based on many other reviews it is actually pretty good both graphically and as a game. Yet I will not hold any of these reviews as gospel. I got it free with my 5600X CPU and will give it a try and decide what I think rather than what reviewers tell me. My issue is the handful of people who have brought this down to an AMD vs Nvidia level and made statements like "AMD is holding back gaming", which is utter ********. Rather than simply looking at it from a just another AAA game release.

These people have already decided this game is crap before trying it, for no other reason than it is AMD sponsored. They want... no NEED it to "fail" so they can justify their biases against AMD.

Permabanned

I've not seen anyone claim 'it's crap'. I myself stated it looks very dated due to the lack of modern tech in use, and mentioning the obvious resoning why that is. It doesn't matter to me wheter it's down to AMD, Intel or Nvidia, I would still be calling it out.

We know you had a bad time with CP2077, but that was your own fault as you didn't want to change settings.

Last edited by a moderator:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Speaking of this, I didn't play CP but what was the Keanu Reeves thing all about? Did same apply to that?
It was not bad, not awesome though. I liked it enough. To be fair to Far Cry 6 I can’t fully compare until I play it. But from what I have seen so far it should have been better.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yet based on many other reviews it is actually pretty good both graphically and as a game. Yet I will not hold any of these reviews as gospel. I got it free with my 5600X CPU and will give it a try and decide what I think rather than what reviewers tell me. My issue is the handful of people who have brought this down to an AMD vs Nvidia level and made statements like "AMD is holding back gaming", which is utter ********. Rather than simply looking at it from a just another AAA game release.

These people have already decided this game is crap before trying it, for no other reason than it is AMD sponsored. They want... no NEED it to "fail" so they can justify their biases against AMD.
Well I like skillups reviews which I posted above, he usually gets it right as far as I am concerned.

Not a fan of the fanboy stuff myself as I like both companies hardware and happy to use whichever suits my needs/takes my fancy.

Associate
We may just cancel pc gaming now at this stage, far cry 6 and AMD have ruined it all.

Not even an RTX branded goat simulator could make up for all these inferior console budget legacy games.

Back
Top Bottom