• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Far Cry 6 GPU performance not bad at all but is severely bottlenecked by CPU

Associate
Well would you look at this......

So, not 100% this but game freshly reinstalled on nvme over my sata ssd, same settings as per before. So either a fresh install fixed the textures or/and a nvme drive does help with texture loading (given consoles have nvmes and games are designed for consoles, wouldn't be surprised if some optimisation issue here)

Obviously there is still an issue there with vram, be that not enough for 4k with max settings and no FSR or/and some work needs done with the management side of things, which I am still leaning towards, especially after seeing these results now.

SATA SSD, my old post in here:

New screenshots with the NVME:

Noticed the much improved texture with the flame thrower gas tank straight away, sadly didn't have any screenshots from me before but there are plenty on that ubi thread where people posted the same issue.

6C5bFDe.jpg

BcXarYE.jpg

X4zIfqf.jpg

H6j2Dtq.jpg

7Y9cVQ2.jpg

j8Eudzr.jpg
Samsung sponsored game ,I knew it!

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Interesting comments on the ubi thread:

https://discussions.ubisoft.com/top...-in-the-game-is-blurry/306?lang=en-US&page=16

Some said turning of rebar worked for them:

Another guys method:

I tried adjusting the preset to "custom" instead of the "ultra" preset and textures seemed a bit better to me but still don't look right.

Will try on the nvme now to see if that helps at all, doubt it but wouldn't be the first time a drive has presented texture rendering issues ala rage
Too much faffing about. Just upgrade to an AMD card :D

Permabanned
Sounds like a challenge. :D
i don't know, it doesn't make any sense to me, there's directstorage api that supposedly aims to extract "more" performance out of nvme drives in games. but it is an API, and it is yet to be used. im pretty sure Microsoft would shove the first implementation our face with their marketings...

from what i see, no game or whatsoever comes close to utilizing nvme ssds yet. i would also ask him to enable read rate from hwinfo as a metric and show us the data while the problem is happening

https://prnt.sc/1vvue6k

then we can see if the engine really reads 500+ mb/s of off the disk constantly in-game but even in that case, sata ssd or hdd would eventually catch up to higher speed ssd and load the texture. at least that's why i observe in the games i play versus an hdd with an ssd. all textures eventually load, it just that it takes a bit longer with slower drives...

Caporegime
i don't know, it doesn't make any sense to me, there's directstorage api that supposedly aims to extract "more" performance out of nvme drives in games. but it is an API, and it is yet to be used. im pretty sure Microsoft would shove the first implementation our face with their marketings...

from what i see, no game or whatsoever comes close to utilizing nvme ssds yet. i would also challenge the user to enable read rate from hwinfo as a metric and show us sata vs. nvme...

https://prnt.sc/1vvue6k

then we can see if the game really read s 500+ mb/s of stuff constantly in game. but even in that case, sata ssd or hdd would eventually catch up to higher speed ssd and load the texture. at least that's why i observe in the games i play versus an hdd with an ssd. all textures eventually load, it just that it takes a bit longer with slower drives...
I like the cut of your jib.

Caporegime
Samsung sponsored game ,I knew it!

:D

Samsung the ones to blame all along and not amd then! :cry:

So it looks like it was your install and not the game.

Very possible but seems a bit odd given my sata ssd was healthy and install worked fine etc. and no issues with FCND, obviously not a great test/comparison.

Best way would be to have a skim through other peoples reports who are having issues (not at 4k etc.) and see what drive they are using, I can't recall of seeing drives being mentioned, only things like cpu, ram and gpu.

Like I said, not the first time a game has had issues on slower/older drives and worked/performed better for textures though. Rage was the main one that comes to mind.

Some people said deleting files in a location and relaunching the game, basically forcing a repair/redll fixed their issues but that didn't work for me either.

Also worth having a watch of rachet and clank on df etc. to see how they make the most from the nvme speeds for textures, map loading etc. Suspect this will become the must have going forward especially if/when direct storage gets used more. IIRC, f1 2021 apparently was pushing the disk read speeds considerably although no issues were shown with sata ssds iirc. Think it was pc gamers hardware who done the test.

i invite you to install the game to sata ssd and show us that "worse" gas tank textures versus nvme ssd in the same spot and same place with the same save .)

I'll pass thank you very much! :D

Some other persons screenshot but this is exactly how mine looked:

eFfW6TV.png

Too much faffing about. Just upgrade to an AMD card :D

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Best way would be to have a skim through other peoples reports who are having issues (not at 4k etc.) and see what drive they are using, I can't recall of seeing drives being mentioned, only things like cpu, ram and gpu.

Like I said, not the first time a game has had issues on slower/older drives and worked/performed better for textures though. Rage was the main one that comes to mind.

There's another Farcry thread on here. Pretty sure it was mentioned in that one.

Also speaking on nvme's isn't that what Jensen dressed up in his launch a year ago about RTX IO?

Caporegime
Well looks like I spoke too soon! :D

Went back on and it's back....

0TfwgRS.jpg

However, after running about and switching guns back and forth, HD texture is back. Didn't notice problems with other textures and when the game was on sata ssd, the flame thrower was like that at all times no matter what. Noticed my vram usage is more consistently higher this time round too compared to sata one

wueex0O.jpg

I shall go back to immortals and new world for time being till a patch or 2 arrive for this! :D :p

Will say performance is great though, no stuttering.

There's another Farcry thread on here. Pretty sure it was mentioned in that one.

Also speaking on nvme's isn't that what Jensen dressed up in his launch a year ago about RTX IO?

Ah haven't read that thread.

Permabanned
Well looks like I spoke too soon! :D

Went back on and it's back....

0TfwgRS.jpg

However, after running about and switching guns back and forth, HD texture is back. Didn't notice problems with other textures and when the game was on sata ssd, the flame thrower was like that at all times no matter what. Noticed my vram usage is a bit higher this time round too

wueex0O.jpg

I shall go back to immortals and new world for time being till a patch or 2 arrive for this! :D :p

Will say performance is great though, no stuttering.

Ah haven't read that thread.
can you like try disabling rbar maybe? see if it helps sir? would be good research material.

Caporegime
can you like try disabling rbar maybe? see if it helps sir? would be good research material.

Kind of want to but at the same time, I've done enough faffing now :p

Speaking of which, noticed this in nvidias new drivers (not 100% sure on what it does yet), not putting them on yet till more reports but wonder if messing with this would have any impact:

NVIDIA Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings
  • Added Shader Cache Size control to set the maximum amount of disk space to use for storing shader compiles.

As notice when launching FC 6 it does some cache/shader compile/build or something.

Interesting images @Nexus18 thanks for sharing. It must be what nvidia fanboys see through their rose tinted glasses when trying to explain to AMD fanboys how RTX is over FSR!! :D

Associate
I wish they put more effort into the stock textures. They use only 6GB of VRAM at 4k and are visibly low res in so many areas. Even mid range NVIDIA cards from the 2000 series have 8GB of VRAM

Permabanned

Speaking of which, noticed this in nvidias new drivers (not 100% sure on what it does yet), not putting them on yet till more reports but wonder if messing with this would have any impact:

As notice when launching FC 6 it does some cache/shader compile/build or something.

i installed the driver put it on unlimited. this was an issue i was expecting a fix or option for a long time. props to nvidia for providing one

it wouldn't have impact on texture issue. it will however impact the stutter stuff. let me give u prime example. year is 2018, i so excited, i love ancient greece, like, so much love yeah. so much research went into it by me. and odyssey released wow. like, dreams come true. and i love ac series and their stuff. loved the origins. i had a gtx 1070 then. so i hop on to ac odyssey. play. and stutters randomly. you play for a bit, return to the same regions, and voila, no stutter. because shaders are now cached. they're being used directly from the pre compiled cache.

played 2 day without problems. but i also played other games, so some caches are deleted bcoz there was a limit , i think its "1 gb". practically if u surpass 1 gb limit, your caches go bye bye and replaced one by one. ofc returned back to odyssey and now it stuttered again. and after some time, stutter was gone. rinse and repeat... until i managed to finish the game. it was especially bad on Athens region

practically this will let more amount of cache data to stay on disk and not deleted / flushed. its very good. a bit late but good...

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I wish they put more effort into the stock textures. They use only 6GB of VRAM at 4k and are visibly low res in so many areas. Even mid range NVIDIA cards from the 2000 series have 8GB of VRAM
That is probably LtMatts doing. He spoke to Lisa and got her to speak to Ubi so he could get a win and gloat about it in here :p

Caporegime

Yeah but then you wouldn't be forced to use the high res texture pack which is conveniently too big for most NVidia hardware and something like twice the size of the console high res texture pack? did they use bitmaps? :p

Associate

NVIDIA Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings
  • Added Shader Cache Size control to set the maximum amount of disk space to use for storing shader compiles.
  • As notice when launching FC 6 it does some cache/shader compile/build or something.
It allows you to put a limit on how much disk space Nvidia can spend for caching shaders so there should be no difference vs the unlimited space as it was before.[/QUOTE]

Associate
played 2 day without problems. but i also played other games, so some caches are deleted bcoz there was a limit , i think its "1 gb". practically if u surpass 1 gb limit, your caches go bye bye and replaced one by one. ofc returned back to odyssey and now it stuttered again. and after some time, stutter was gone. rinse and repeat... until i managed to finish the game. it was especially bad on Athens region

practically this will let more amount of cache data to stay on disk and not deleted / flushed. its very good. a bit late but good...
It allows you to put a limit on how much disk space Nvidia can spend for caching shaders so there should be no difference vs the unlimited space as it was before.

Sorry i thought it was unlimited but you are right, Nvidia replaced it after a certain limit. So this change can fix stuttering in some games if you allow Nvidia to use more space.
I put mine on Ramdisk on my old laptop with Nvidia card. This way it won't write to SSD all the time and it has enough speed when needed in games.

Back
Top Bottom