• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Far Cry 6 GPU performance not bad at all but is severely bottlenecked by CPU

Associate
I have uninstalled the game completely and reinstalled. It works better now in that HD textures are working more often, yet FPS tanks to single digits until I enable FSR and I do still get random texture loading issues. These are all indicitive of a VRAM limitation and not drivers.

Though having finally got it working and showing differences between HD on vs off, I think normal ultra with FSR looks alsmost as good as HD with FSR on. With FSR off you can see a bigger differece. With HD off and FSR on I get good FPS, sharp textures and no texture loading bugs.

So enable FSR, it adds some sharpening and looks great to the point where HD on is a case of pixel peeping to see differences. I recommend that anyone having texture issues need to verify the game is installed OK.
Is the game using at least 90% of your card vram with the HD textures? I think the FSR is over sharpening the image in this game.

Permabanned
It's no surprise that a texture pack designed for 12GB+ is causing issues. How are the textures stored? I wonder if it is possible to simply unpack to allow processing by one of the AI image enhancing engines before repacking with a smaller size? I suspect the texture optimisation is lacking and as such no one could tell the difference.

Associate
How big dips in FPS are people seeing in these stutters?

I can hear the pitch of coil whine change every so often, but without that audio clue I dont think Id notice the change in FPS. Never seems to drop below 65~
Are people seeing drops much lower? From like 80-90 down to 20 or worse?

Where is the texture issue most obvious? I know I shouldn't have vram issues, but just curious where I should look for it?

Soldato
Yes, it uses all 10GB when HD textures are enabled at 4K but some textures are not loaded correctly and FPS tanks to single digits. Turning on FSR drops VRAM used to ~9.5GB and the performance goes up to ~50-60 FPS but some textures are not loaded correctly. So I think even with FSR enabled 10GB is not enough, but the official specs do say 16GB VRAM required for HD textures.

The GPU load is at 100% with HD on and FSR off. With FSR on and FPS capped at 60 FPS I see GPU load of ~75%

This behaviour is indicitive of a VRAM limitation. I am not saying 100% it is not an Nvidia driver bug, or a game bug for you not seeing HD textures on a 3090. All I can say is that turning off HD textures brings VRAM useage under the 10GB that my 3080 has.

When I bought my 3080 at MSRP I knew 10GB was going to be problematic in some games. I just accpeted it at the time knowing that it would still serve me well.

Soldato
Looking forward to testing the 6700 XT with the HD Texture pack and RT to see how it compares to the 6900 XT in terms of textures and performance.

What is it with all you delusional AMD mid range fanboys trying to convince yourself that 12GB is enough for HD textures at 4K? :D

HRL

HRL

Soldato
I do like the way that there are currently only 3 cards that can use the “HD” texture pack, right?

The 6800, 6900 and the 3090?

Not sure why it’s referred to as HD either as it’s a 4K texture pack, not HD.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats

I guess the term 'High Definition' is not synonymous to just 1080p?

Ubisoft call it a "HD Texture Pack".

Dictionary definition:
a system for screen display of images that are sharper and more detailed than normal, having many more than the standard number of scanning lines per frame

Last edited:
Soldato
I do like the way that there are currently only 3 cards that can use the “HD” texture pack, right?

The 6800, 6900 and the 3090?

Mybe all the other HD pack were just HD Ready?

Associate
Yes, it uses all 10GB when HD textures are enabled at 4K but some textures are not loaded correctly and FPS tanks to single digits. Turning on FSR drops VRAM used to ~9.5GB and the performance goes up to ~50-60 FPS but some textures are not loaded correctly. So I think even with FSR enabled 10GB is not enough, but the official specs do say 16GB VRAM required for HD textures.

The GPU load is at 100% with HD on and FSR off. With FSR on and FPS capped at 60 FPS I see GPU load of ~75%

This behaviour is indicitive of a VRAM limitation. I am not saying 100% it is not an Nvidia driver bug, or a game bug for you not seeing HD textures on a 3090. All I can say is that turning off HD textures brings VRAM useage under the 10GB that my 3080 has.

When I bought my 3080 at MSRP I knew 10GB was going to be problematic in some games. I just accpeted it at the time knowing that it would still serve me well.
This is really weird. With the HD Textures and FSR UQ, VRAM usage never exceeds 8GB for me at 4K on a 3080 Ti

Associate
Haha, we shall see. Hoping it'll be enough for 1440P, but honestly not sure. I will find out though and share.
In my experience the HD texture pack doesn’t scale that well in resolution. Dropping to 1440p from 4K only freed about 500MB of VRAM with the pack enabled. That’s why they do not indicate which resolution that 16GB is targeting. You would need 16GB even at 1080p.

Soldato
This is really weird. With the HD Textures and FSR UQ, VRAM usage never exceeds 8GB for me at 4K on a 3080 Ti

Open the side of your PC case
Check your GPU
Does it say 3070Ti, or 3080Ti?

:D

Genuinely perplexed at that, I used MSI afterburner and GPUZ to verify the VRAM used. Though GPUZ gave weird reading when the VRAM limit was exceeded.

Associate
Open the side of your PC case
Check your GPU
Does it say 3070Ti, or 3080Ti?

:D

Genuinely perplexed at that, I used MSI afterburner and GPUZ to verify the VRAM used. Though GPUZ gave weird reading when the VRAM limit was exceeded.
Above 11Gb on the 3090:
I know lol. The game simply refuses to use my GPU beyond 10.5GB at its peak and that’s with FSR disabled. Enabling it pushes usage down to 8GB.

The stuttering doesn’t make any sense whatsoever as my gpu isn’t fully utilised.

Caporegime
I know lol. The game simply refuses to use my GPU beyond 10.5GB at its peak and that’s with FSR disabled. Enabling it pushes usage down to 8GB.

The stuttering doesn’t make any sense whatsoever as my gpu isn’t fully utilised.

Wouldn't worry, you're not alone, loads of people having issues like yours and mine and ubi have said they're looking into it as well so don't bother reinstalling game either as it's not an issue on your/our end, it's the game.

Soldato
OP

Do you have a 3090?

Back
Top Bottom