Farming Simulator 17

Soldato
FS15 was probably one of the biggest gaming surprises for me in a long long time, I mean who thought something that theoreticly should be mundane be so enjoyable and soothing, i came quite late to the party on 15. so its quite exciting to be there from the start for 17.

Purely on the back of 15 i preordered 17, even if it does end up being just an updated version of 15 with more features i'll be happy, I havnt played 15 purposely for almost a month now purely so i didnt wear myself out on it, i'm eagerly awaiting the release.

Ham

Ham

Associate
Would you say this game is more about driving the vehicles (similar to Euro Truck Sim) or farm management, or both/either?

Soldato
OP
Updated Post#4 with new info.

Would you say this game is more about driving the vehicles (similar to Euro Truck Sim) or farm management, or both/either?

I would say both but depends on how you play the game (depends if you use mods like SoilMod in FS15) but FS17 has more 'management features' in it like the new fertilisation system and having to plough every 3 harvests if you chose to.

Soldato
FS15 was probably one of the biggest gaming surprises for me in a long long time, I mean who thought something that theoreticly should be mundane be so enjoyable and soothing, i came quite late to the party on 15. so its quite exciting to be there from the start for 17.

Purely on the back of 15 i preordered 17, even if it does end up being just an updated version of 15 with more features i'll be happy, I havnt played 15 purposely for almost a month now purely so i didnt wear myself out on it, i'm eagerly awaiting the release.

I was the same with FS11. I found a demo randomly, decided "hmm, this looks OK, if a bit cheap", played the base FS13 (no mods and it still looked a bit naff) then the model detail just skyrocketed with FS15 (though the graphics in general still looked a bit average) but now FS17 looks pretty damn good, and map makers could have a field day with the new lighting system*.

FS17 is pretty much FS15 made much better. While there's no single new "wow" feature being introduced, the level of polishing over FS15 is nuts. The silage pits, the new grass fields, the tip-anywhere feature (and the newly leaked conveyor belt that will accompany it) and so on and so on. They've taken the best mods and made them awesome.

* Think multiplayer on a detailed mod map around a village in the evening, with all the street lights and house lights. I used the word a few times in my post earlier, but it will feel so immersive...

It would probably be more accurately described as "Tractor Simulator", as while there is livestock, the work you do with them is entirely done through driving machines. The management aspect is fairly limited... indeed it doesn't really exist.

The knowledge needed is pretty slim if you want it to be, but as Mike says, the new fertilisation system means it could be quite complex, but I fully expect you can enable/disable this system in the options, as it could get very tedious very quickly for the casual player.

You could play as simple as harvest > sell > buy > plant > harvest if you wanted to, upgrading to bigger machines with the money gained, though the game would quickly become boring if you just did that on your own. Multiplayer is surprisingly fun even just playing the basics, and that's where it can trump Euro/American truck sim, as everyone is usually around everyone else, helping each other.

Last edited:
Soldato
Seriously why? I am speechless. 17 versions?

No, this is the sixth edition. Farming Simulator 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2015 and 2017 (though the last two have been abbreviated to 15 and 17).

You'd be surprised at how popular it is. I can't find overall figures, but a quick Google gives this Euro Gamer article - when the console version launched in May last year it was second only to The Witcher 3 and ahead of GTA5 and FIFA 15, and that was 7 months after the PC version released (which is probably more popular due to the massive modding scene).

People say the same about Euro/American Truck sim, and they're stupidly popular. I must have spent months in FS15 overall - if I'd bought it on Steam I'd have been able to tell you, but I can tell you I've spent over 300 hours on one map, and that wasn't even available until 5 or 6 months after release.

Soldato
I think when humans don't need to work anymore, these games will be classics.

EDIT: In fact, it will be a good investment to collect hard copies, console versions only possibly. PC versions will be rare, but you don't get nice manuals now.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

Tip anything whenever and wherever you want in Farming Simulator 17.
Pile up your goods and pick them up later again with shovels, conveyor belts or
even the mighty HOLMER Terra Felis 2 eco sugar beet loader.

That is awesome with the conveyor belts as well.

Associate
I'm actually looking forward to this, but am slightly worried it'll get old fast like the last one did. I've no real interest in the forestry side of the game as I feel that would be best played with a pair of joysticks for the full effect. I'm more interested in the silage operations and to see whether "Follow me" etc will be back.

Soldato
I'm actually looking forward to this, but am slightly worried it'll get old fast like the last one did. I've no real interest in the forestry side of the game as I feel that would be best played with a pair of joysticks for the full effect. I'm more interested in the silage operations and to see whether "Follow me" etc will be back.

Follow Me should be a fairly simple conversion, though the online converter won't do it (scripts have changed locations for some mod types, but much of the actual scripting remains the same).

Grasswork has undergone a rework. Have a look at Mike's post from Giants in post 4 or my breakdown in post 6, but basically hired helpers are now able to work grass fields, you can now fertilise them, you'll need to plough them once every 3 harvests if you have that setting turned on and silage pits now work like silage pits! Check out the silage fact sheet too.

Associate
Follow Me should be a fairly simple conversion, though the online converter won't do it (scripts have changed locations for some mod types, but much of the actual scripting remains the same).

Grasswork has undergone a rework. Have a look at Mike's post from Giants in post 4 or my breakdown in post 6, but basically hired helpers are now able to work grass fields, you can now fertilise them, you'll need to plough them once every 3 harvests if you have that setting turned on and silage pits now work like silage pits! Check out the silage fact sheet too.

I'd missed that post of yours but it's very comprehensive. Thanks.

Soldato
Ok, having read the list of "new" features to be added as part of the game, I am very much looking forward to it. A lot of what 15 hindered in the form of mods that were unable to be transferred from 13 are now in game. Additionally the added dimension of livestock breeding and sale is now very much welcomed. All these functions were great mods that most players had.

However the best new in game feature is at last hired helper able to mow grass. Lol making grass as a field always made sense to me and in the past I used a modded combine to mow and wall up grass for silage as I could get a hired helper to work within a box made by me.

I had issues with 15 which meant only put 150 hours into it unlike the 1000 in 13 and 1500 in 11.

Reading on it all I will most probebly bite the bulet day one.

Only hope the map is massive... :)

Written on iPad.. so meh..

Associate
Am working overtime to try and get my map finished for soon after release, it's only taken me best part of 2 years! (X4 map)

I just hope I can convert it to 17 or there may soon be an obituary sub forum on OcUk :p

Soldato
Am working overtime to try and get my map finished for soon after release, it's only taken me best part of 2 years! (X4 map)

I just hope I can convert it to 17 or there may soon be an obituary sub forum on OcUk :p
I am pretty sure the new giants editor will convert it. Have you many mod triggers? Or is it giants only?

In 13 I only liked x4 maps as I liked to use hired helpers mod and run 3 combines on big fields. It was Central Kansas map.. so many hours Lol

Associate
Just a couple of giants triggers atm, have purposely left them out for now until I know.
Fingers crossed for a smooth transition! :D

Soldato
OP
Silver.TV did a live stream last night and will be doing so again tonight I believe. He is an Official Review Partner.

An explanation of the 'Official Preview Partner' live streams, from Amboss of Giants Software

Amboss said:
Hi guys,

I couldn't read everything but I want to clear up a few things. You've surely noticed that recently streams and videos of Farming Simulator 17 appeared. In theory, the game should not be available already but when copies are on the way to the consumer, there might always something happen and then one of those streams appears.

So starting today we would like to give some established YouTubers and Streamers from various regions and languages the chance to also create their content so that those of you, who want to watch FS17 content before the official release can rely on experiences channels and not someone who happened to "find" a copy.

We can't pull the launch forward, there are many partners involved and the game needs to hit the shelves. However, if you want to watch online videos now, you have options and there's a chance one of your favourite YouTubers or Streamers can entertain you.

Soldato

You may not know, but Giants released Giants Editor 7.0.0 (you'll need to register) a few weeks back.

While you obviously can't test it out in FS17 yet, you should be able to load the map in the editor, and if it does load, chances are you'll have few problems converting it.

Just to note, don't save the new map in v7.0.0 as it won't be readable in v6.0.5 or FS15 - just use it to test if the map opens for now.

I'm intending to make a 4x map for FS too, but I'm not starting until the default mod map is available with the game so I know I'm using all of the new textures, functions and models where necessary. I can't wait to get going. Will it ever get finished? Probably not, but if I don't start it certainly won't! :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom