Fatty gorges herself to death whilst in hospital.

Soldato
I think this is an extremely sad case and I'm disgusted at the people who are making a joke out of it. At the end of the day the woman in question was a human being and it is obvious she had a problem which, even with treatment, she could not overcome.

For certain she, and her family, were the architects of her own death, but to joke about the way some people have, is, I think absolutley appalling.

This is what we humans do. Just need to switch on the tv to see what we are like. Stephen Fry was right. Its greasy junk food for the mind....any time of day or night switch on to get ur fix from watching fat people at fat camp to watching high speed police car chases to watching a mob of people slather and bay at the characters in your average jeremy kyle show. Or the soaps and dramas with the uber face close-ups so you can experience and FEEL the emotion..

We all belittle and look down on such quality rags as the Daily Mail, The Sun etc but we still buy it in our millions and we still get a good giggle from whatever story they manufacture. They know how to press our buttons to elicit the same old salivating response...its classic pavlovian techniques...

pretty much sums it up ^^ we get an EPIC thrill from it all thats all that matters.

All Media is about entertainment, control and manipulation it has nothing to with people and reporting facts or informing them so they become more aware. (rather it keeps them at a base level of awareness or knowledge)

This is also due in part to the reality distortion and distance created by Presenting anything on a Tv screen or other controlled media format. Thats a bit more complicated and i have only one good hand atm :)

no im not on a high horse here.. just calling it like i see it..

Caporegime
This is what we humans do. Just need to switch on the tv to see what we are like. Stephen Fry was right. Its greasy junk food for the mind....any time of day or night switch on to get ur fix from watching fat people at fat camp to watching high speed police car chases to watching a mob of people slather and bay at the characters in your average jeremy kyle show. Or the soaps and dramas with the uber face close-ups so you can experience and FEEL the emotion..

We all belittle and look down on such quality rags as the Daily Mail, The Sun etc but we still buy it in our millions and we still get a good giggle from whatever story they manufacture. They know how to press our buttons to elicit the same old salivating response...its classic pavlovian techniques...

Associate

pretty much sums it up ^^ we get an EPIC thrill from it all thats all that matters.

All Media is about entertainment, control and manipulation it has nothing to with people and reporting facts or informing them so they become more aware. (rather it keeps them at a base level of awareness or knowledge)

This is also due in part to the reality distortion and distance created by Presenting anything on a Tv screen or other controlled media format. Thats a bit more complicated and i have only one good hand atm :)

no im not on a high horse here.. just calling it like i see it..

Don't come in here with your well thought out and articulated argument. How dare you potentially educate or enlighten the many posters that are using this womans tragic death as a means to supplement their own sense of worth.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Don't come in here with your well thought out and articulated argument. How dare you potentially educate or enlighten the many posters that are using this womans tragic death as a means to supplement their own sense of worth.

What? I have no idea what you are getting at here. People slate the daily mail because the quality of writing and the conclusions they draw from stories are laughable.

Humans like to be entertained and see things that they dont see in real life. Thus why we watch unrealistic films, police camera action and fatties trying to exercise. Yep, it makes people feel better about themselves but most of our lives are dedicated to trying to entertain and make ourselves happy.

I love it when you see people like Stephen Fry comment on the everymans obsession with things that are base and crass. Its always nice and easy when you are rich and famous, lots more options for more 'high brow' entertainment. I like the guy but he isnt the voice of intelligence and reason on every issue.

Why should everyone feel sorry for someone who has eaten themselves to death. Everyone has demons they have to overcome or avoid and they do so without a fanfare or an audience feeling sorry for them and their problem that is 'no fault of their own'.

What did you expect. Poor woman, she was forced to over eat for 20 years, poor woman, it wasnt her fault. People empathise with people they feel are deserving of empathy. You made your bed, now lie in it.

There are people that genuinely need our help and care and yet we are wasting time and resources on people like this so I dont feel at all bad about slating her.

I saw the saddest thing on tv last night, a woman was placing her mother in residential care and selling her house to pay for it. £50, 000 a year for the home and the house was only worth £150,000.

When she told her mother that she was having to leave her home she cried her eyes out and looked absolutely broken. She then started saying sorry to her daughter for being a burden on her.

A woman that had worked her whole life and contributed so much to society and this was her payback. And do you know what, people like that woman that has just died are part of the reason that everyone else has to work harder and receive less in return.

Associate
What? I have no idea what you are getting at here. People slate the daily mail because the quality of writing and the conclusions they draw from stories are laughable.

Humans like to be entertained and see things that they dont see in real life. Thus why we watch unrealistic films, police camera action and fatties trying to exercise. Yep, it makes people feel better about themselves but most of our lives are dedicated to trying to entertain and make ourselves happy.

I love it when you see people like Stephen Fry comment on the everymans obsession with things that are base and crass. Its always nice and easy when you are rich and famous, lots more options for more 'high brow' entertainment. I like the guy but he isnt the voice of intelligence and reason on every issue.

Why should everyone feel sorry for someone who has eaten themselves to death. Everyone has demons they have to overcome or avoid and they do so without a fanfare or an audience feeling sorry for them and their problem that is 'no fault of their own'.

What did you expect. Poor woman, she was forced to over eat for 20 years, poor woman, it wasnt her fault. People empathise with people they feel are deserving of empathy. You made your bed, now lie in it.

There are people that genuinely need our help and care and yet we are wasting time and resources on people like this so I dont feel at all bad about slating her.

I saw the saddest thing on tv last night, a woman was placing her mother in residential care and selling her house to pay for it. £50, 000 a year for the home and the house was only worth £150,000.

When she told her mother that she was having to leave her home she cried her eyes out and looked absolutely broken. She then started saying sorry to her daughter for being a burden on her.

A woman that had worked her whole life and contributed so much to society and this was her payback. And do you know what, people like that woman that has just died are part of the reason that everyone else has to work harder and receive less in return.

My issue is with people that inflate their own egos by mocking others and their obvious glee at how sad this ladies life has been. Society seems to have acquired a rather nasty streak where people take joy in the misfortune of others. It's almost classic school yard behaviour, lets all pick on the different kid, becuase then no one will have a go at me. You expect it from children, but not adults.

I agree that there is no need to feel sympathy for this woman, as she has to shoulder much of the blame herself. But that is very different from actually taking enjoyment out of her situation.

I agree that being "rich and famous" makes it "nice and easy" to find high brow entertainment, but it's the complete lack of compassion that worries me. Compassion is most certainly not the preserve of the rich. It seems many people take the easy path of belittling others to inflate their sense of worth.

Soldato
lmao, I'll second exactly what the OP said. What a stupid person, and what an equally stupid family.

Honestly what must they be thinking right now? I wonder if they are happy they have killed their daughter.

Soldato
My issue is with people that inflate their own egos by mocking others and their obvious glee at how sad this ladies life has been. Society seems to have acquired a rather nasty streak where people take joy in the bad choices of others. It's almost classic school yard behaviour, lets all pick on the different kid, becuase then no one will have a go at me. You expect it from children, but not adults.
Sorry, it was completely her own fault:

She wanted a kid in her 20's & She got stressed because of the kid - Fail imo.
To comfort herself, she turned to eating - FFS, I know better things to comfort me, sure KFC is awesome, but there are more awesome, less harmful things to comfort a person.
Grew out of control, surely if you notice you can't walk normally you stop eating ?- Fail. How did she earn her bread ? Being able to work is one of the most important things.
Hospital, family helped to kill her - fail.

Soldato
My issue is with people that inflate their own egos by mocking others and their obvious glee at how sad this ladies life has been. Society seems to have acquired a rather nasty streak where people take joy in the misfortune of others. It's almost classic school yard behaviour, lets all pick on the different kid, becuase then no one will have a go at me. You expect it from children, but not adults.

I agree that there is no need to feel sympathy for this woman, as she has to shoulder much of the blame herself. But that is very different from actually taking enjoyment out of her situation.

I agree that being "rich and famous" makes it "nice and easy" to find high brow entertainment, but it's the complete lack of compassion that worries me. Compassion is most certainly not the preserve of the rich. It seems many people take the easy path of belittling others to inflate their sense of worth.

Agree with some of this. All too easy to mock what we don’t understand or can easily take a jibe at without fear of retaliation. This to be frank, is sadly the primary tool of the classic bully and we’ve all been subjected to the vile attacks of bullies sometime in our life’s… Fact.

Sadly some more then others, as has been said, as a society we do seem to, and as a race, get a kick out of, well kicking those who are down or display traits of being different, regardless of whatever the circumstances are. I do not disagree that she pretty much ruined her own life with the aid of family, but this does not in anyway path the way to mock her so much.

I have myself been guilty of launching scathing attacks on issues similar to this, for which I’m not in the slightest proud of. I know I’ve been easily lead by groups of others to have a laugh and a joke at the expense of others, and I’ll do it again – I’m sure. But this isn’t the time, and her eventual death is no laughing matter.

I feel sorry for her, I feel sorry for her family who’ll be feeling very upset at this moment in time. Whatever her condition was that resulted in her eating so much food that it finally killed her, the real issue to be discussed is how sad it is that as a human she couldn’t stop eating.

Associate
Sorry, it was completely her own fault:

She wanted a kid in her 20's & She got stressed because of the kid - Fail imo.
To comfort herself, she turned to eating - FFS, I know better things to comfort me, sure KFC is awesome, but there are more awesome, less harmful things to comfort a person.
Grew out of control, surely if you notice you can't walk normally you stop eating ?- Fail. How did she earn her bread ? Being able to work is one of the most important things.
Hospital, family helped to kill her - fail.

I agree with you, it was her own fault. She has to shoulder the blame. I am 100% behind the need for personal responsibility. But that is not my issue, I have a problem with people taking obvious emjoyment out of her situation. By all means criticise her, condem her actions, lifestyle and choices. But is it really necessary to mock and laugh at her, while at the same time feeling all smug and warm inside. Thats not direct at you by the way. But my impression from some of the posts it is exactly what some people are doing.

EDIT: slight clarification. I believe it was her fault assuming she was not mentally ill. If she was than I don't know what to think as I know nothing about mental illness and how it effects people.

Last edited:
Soldato
I guess some of the posts I wrote were a bit un thought of.

I just really dislike people who knowingly and by their own fault leech other taxpayer's money, in practice, they ruin the lives of the working and genuinely ( without blame that is...) ill. I respond quite badly to it. I don't even know how people can live and be happy without a job.

Last edited:
Associate
To be honest, she deserves it, and I'm glad that she is no longer burning up tax payers' money. That may be insensitive, but it is probably better that she died than lived with the quality of life that she had and was obviously intending to maintain.

Back
Top Bottom