• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

FAULTY ATI X1900 XT-X?

Soldato
Have you tried the card in the other PCI-Express slot..

When i first got the AN8 SLi... I put the card in the second slot instead of the first lol..

What a dumbass i am :p

I always read the book first now :)

EDIT: When i had the card in the wrong slot, i scored a lot less in 3dmark05, This was back when i was using my X800 XL, As soon as i put the card in the correct slot, and ran the test.. my score jumped :D

Soldato
OP
For some reason Print Screen + Shift won't work right now in Far Cry. I tried using the Fraps screenshot facility instead but it doesn't show the frame counter.

At the exact point you indicated I had 23 FPS. I had all settings on max except resolution at 1280 x 1024.

I also tried Sid Meier's Civilization IV and had similarly poor results in that game. Something is clearly wrong...

Is this just happening because I have all settings maxed out in the CCC? Do I have to leave them all at default?

TaKen - I am pretty sure my graphics card is in the correct slot. It is in the highest slot, which is the correct one yes?

Soldato
OP
Yep, that is definitely in the right way.

I have another problem I have noticed. On certain backgrounds I can see what I can only describe as endless diagonal lines scrolling down the screen. It is subtle but quite annoying once noticed.

This card is rapidly pi$$ing me off! :mad:

I can only hope that my reinstallation will fix my problems, and I can't think what else I can do.

Soldato
Duel said:

I have another problem I have noticed. On certain backgrounds I can see what I can only describe as endless diagonal lines scrolling down the screen. It is subtle but quite annoying once noticed.

This card is rapidly pi$$ing me off! :mad:

I can only hope that my reinstallation will fix my problems, and I can't think what else I can do.

AFAIK, that is a problem with the CCC in the 6.3 drivers. Either install the 6.2s or uninstall CCC.

-Leezer-

Soldato
OP
Thx for the suggestion leezer. Removing the CCC did help quite substantially but alas is still not at desirable levels. My average frame rate in Far Cry is about 40FPS now.

AOE3 gets really bad when there is a large fight, it went down to 2FPS at one stage! :eek:

Associate
Duel said:

I'm getting that constantly too mate, it is rather annoying.

Associate
i noticed those lines last night on a Gecube xtx,
had problems with a bad power connection on mine which has resulted in burn marks on the pci-e power connector.. gonna order a new one then rma it for a refund.

Soldato
OP
I'm stuck in a rut on this one.

I can't perform a complete reinstallation of Windows until my new Antivirus and Firewall software arrives, which won't be for a few days at least. Once it does arrive I will do the reinstallation ASAP, but if I do so and it proves to be a faulty card, will Overclockers UK still take it back after this time?

Also, if I have to return it and buy a replacement, the offer will not be on then, so I may have to end up paying more for this card than when I bought it. :(

Soldato
OP
One thing I have managed to fix is the garbled screen on boot-up. I updated my motherboard's BIOS and this solved it. So I recommend everyone else who has this issue to do that if they haven't done so already. ;)

Soldato
Duel said:
I'm stuck in a rut on this one.

I can't perform a complete reinstallation of Windows until my new Antivirus and Firewall software arrives, which won't be for a few days at least. Once it does arrive I will do the reinstallation ASAP, but if I do so and it proves to be a faulty card, will Overclockers UK still take it back after this time?

Also, if I have to return it and buy a replacement, the offer will not be on then, so I may have to end up paying more for this card than when I bought it. :(

The card comes with a warranty so you should be able to take it back & exchange it for another card, as the X1900 cards are still in production, there are are no issues there (OcUK may give you a different make though)

Soldato
i have the garbled screens, il check asus site later see if there is a new bios

im getting a lot of crashes in wow atm, and a few in other games, its really annoying.

im doing a complete reinstall tomorrow so i hope that fixes it

Soldato
OP
I finally got my new Internet Security software so I performed my complete reinstallation of my PC.

Unfortunately my problem persists!!! :eek: :( :confused: :mad:

Does anyone have any ideas why my PC is performing so poorly? Is the graphics card faulty?

My FPS at the scene in Far Cry is now 41 FPS. This is at 1280X1024 res and all other in-game settings at max. I am using version 1.33 (latest official).

I have tried using the official Catalyst graphics drivers, War Cat and Omega. Some work better than others but none near par. The other X1900 X-TX owner who posted a screenie had 1900x1200 res with all settings at max AND HD and yet has a 50% higher FPS rate! WTF! :confused:

Please help anyone, this is driving me dotty! Should I have the card RMA'd?

One thing I did think of, is there possibly some way my PSU is not supplying the card with enough power and this is causing the poor performance?

Last edited:
Associate
Hi,

have you applied any overclocks, to the card or your cpu's?

also what level have you set Anti-Aliasing to in CCC?

Have you enabled Adaptive Anti Aliasing? (this can slow down performance quite considerably)

Raja

Associate
Hi,

I have 2 of the 1900's in crossfire, let me see what I get on far cry, with no hdr, and all other settings on max.

I'll disable adavtive aa, and sett all others to application decision.

Raja

edit

1280x1024 video options 6 X AA I get 73fps in crossfire at that same point, bearing in mind I have my amd 4800X2 running at 2.53ghz per core, I can go to 2.7ghz I'd expect to get around 80 fps or so at that point.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Power Supply should be fine, have you definately got your motherboard chipset drivers installed, is there no way you can test the card in another machine, or take it your local shop and see if they will give it a quick test for you, thats what i did when i thought my x1800 was faulty. :)

Failing that just RMA it, and get OcUK to test it, its not performing how it should, although if it turns out to be fine, then they'll charge you. :(

The best bet is as said, try and get it tested in another machine if you can, see if you can find out if its definately the card.

Last edited:
Associate
Duel said:
For some reason Print Screen + Shift won't work right now in Far Cry. I tried using the Fraps screenshot facility instead but it doesn't show the frame counter.

At the exact point you indicated I had 23 FPS. I had all settings on max except resolution at 1280 x 1024.

I also tried Sid Meier's Civilization IV and had similarly poor results in that game. Something is clearly wrong...

Is this just happening because I have all settings maxed out in the CCC? Do I have to leave them all at default?

TaKen - I am pretty sure my graphics card is in the correct slot. It is in the highest slot, which is the correct one yes?

Theres something amiss with that card, at the same point i get 41fps with everything max (expect hdr, my card doesn't support sm3) at 1280x1024

As the some guys have already said it's most likely a driver issue. I dont think it can be the card itself because i'm sure it would throw up artifacts or screen would go garbled in windows. I could be very wrong though.

Last edited:
Associate
Hellfire260 said:
Theres something amiss with that card, at the same point i get 41fps with everything max (expect hdr, cause i use it) at 1280x1024

As the some guys have already said it's most likely a driver issue. I dont think it can be the card itself because i'm sure it would throw up artifacts or screen would go garbled in windows. I could be very wrong though.

41fps is exactly what he gets above in post 35!!!!....................

Back
Top Bottom