Feek's macOS useful tools, utilities and applications thread

Soldato
I've got Daisy Disk thanks to a recommendation here and it works well. The only thing is I'm not sure what things are safe to delete. Going off their charts I could save a significant amount of disk space by doing a clean.

Last edited:
Associate
Would have thought most modern cars would read exFAT.

It reads one song out of 10000s, maybe I need to leave it awhile to sort itself out. Just tried it with NTFS formatted and does the same. Will need to check the BMW idrive version aswell, maybe that needs updating. I originally had a FAT32 32GB drive with around 150 songs and those work fine.

Soldato
any freebie NTFS software so I can put music on a USB drive?
macFuse - https://medium.com/macoclock/enabli...-15-catalina-the-open-source-way-a5fd0d1cb32e

Will need to check the BMW idrive version aswell...
If it's a new enough car then exFAT should probably work but, it's worth pointing out that some infotainment systems have limited storage for metadata so they tend to apply limits to the number of tracks that can be read from USB/external storage as well as limits to overall storage size (ie - >128GB drives etc).
Worth reading the handbook or searching around and seeing if there are any limits in place.

Last edited:
Associate
macFuse - https://medium.com/macoclock/enabli...-15-catalina-the-open-source-way-a5fd0d1cb32e

If it's a new enough car then exFAT should probably work but, it's worth pointing out that some infotainment systems have limited storage for metadata so they tend to apply limits to the number of tracks that can be read from USB/external storage as well as limits to overall storage size (ie - >128GB drives etc).
Worth reading the handbook or searching around and seeing if there are any limits in place.
Seems to be hit and miss with what people have connected, some have external drivers other have USB drives! I will just use a 64GB one I have as that seems to be working instead of moving my either collection to a 128gb one, as it won't pick up much.

Soldato
Limited choice of an app that actually wakes for incoming calls given iOS's battery optimising implementation but Acrobits would be the obvious - it works but i wouldn't say it's amazing.
That is a shame. I found an app for macOS called Telephone which seems to work. I might just go back to my old plan of an extra eSIM.

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a decent GUI util app for HOSTS file editing?
Use to use GasMask but it hasn't been updated in a fair while and doesn't seem to work correctly :(

And yes i could CLI it all but i'm a lazy git and like have a pretty GUI to look at :cry:

Soldato
Don't be a lazy git, this couldn't be easier :p
It's fine for one offs but it's a drag when you're in and out of it all day and having to kill DNS after every save; GasMask was great for speeding it all up but like iHosts, it hasn't been updated in a fair while.
Something like MS Powertoys Host Editor would be excellent...

Edit - Rebuilt GasMask from source and it seems to work a bit better than the release. There's also a few PR's/Forks that look like they've sorted a load of the bugs, so may give that a whirl at some point but at least it works for the time being.

Last edited:
Commissario
OP
Thanks, that's handy to have.

So you're in terminal anyway. Just have multiple terminal windows open, one with that as the most recent command in history so you just up arrow and hit return and the other one with your hosts file :D

Back
Top Bottom