FIA WEC 2017 Championship

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Some great racing today and a well deserved win for Toyota. I'm a little worried about the lack of the pace from both the Porsche LMP 1 and GT teams, as they seem off the pace at the moment.

So 38 days till the first practices of Le Mans 2017, i'm so gutted I wont be going this year.

Soldato
Kind of hope Toyota romp it after last year, but in all honesty don't think we will be that interested in the lmp1 race this year. Still great to see the closing speeds of the cars especially at the likes of Porsche curves or along the Mulsanne but the race itself is a bit...meh

GT looking good, though cant help but feel Ford will just step it up again for the "real" race.

Realised that we have never went down the bottom end of the track to watch anything yet so will make a point of heading to Arnage at some point. Also need to acquire myself some ear defenders to try and be able to hear radio Le Mans as I find it hard to pick back up on what's going on when just wandering to and from the track at night etc

Soldato
Yeah you're paying a convenience premium for Thomas cook or the equivalents. I roughly worked it out to be about 1.5 x the cost of doing it yourself including eating etc.

It's not "cheap" overall no matter what you do considering you're lying in a field for the best part of a week - but in terms of transport and basic accommodation it's significantly less if you slum it in beausejour and get an overnight ferry over etc. Especially if there are a few of you

Soldato
Yeah your right, to be fair the Thomas Cook campsite is a very good location. People who have been how did you do it? Camping? Hotel? I didn't watch all the race, probably about three hours but really enjoyed what I saw. I've been impressed by LMP2 so far, good racing and some big names in it as well.

Soldato
We have camped the few years I've been but it very much isn't my gig, just tagging along so they already have gazebos, cookers and the like.

Buy a few pitches at BSJ, one of the guys has an ACO discount for the tickets, overnight ferry and buy food and drink once there.

I'm the same as you, no attempt to watch the full race but probably catch around 5 hours of it plus night quali etc at the curves

Soldato
I've gone with TC this year, solely because it'll be my first time and I wanted as little stress as possible, and there's only two of us going, so for convenience sake *shrugs*, like most people I doubt I will try and watch the whole race, but I'm taking my camera with me and plan to meander around a few spots, taking a few pictures here and there, and soaking up the atmosphere. Maybe in future years I'll go a little more basic, but this time around, trying to make life relatively simples.

Soldato
Think the packages do make more sense for a couple of people tbh - you can't get great "bulk" discounts on slumming it without some numbers really, won't be so bothered about trying to get more camping space and I imagine want to be closer to the main circuit entrance if you don't really know the place.

Le mans itself is worth a visit, jist jump on the tram. Even the drivers parade is ok if a bit busy, just try to get there early

Soldato
I was at Spa for the WEC last weekend. Ticket for Thurs/Fri/Sat cost me £27 which I thought was really good value

I was already in Europe for DN17 at the Nordschleife, but Spa wasn't costly and we found a two bed countryside house to stay in close by for £200 too

Really enjoyed it and love how close you can get to all the cars/drivers. Eating lunch on a table next to Kobayashi etc

Pit walk was great, especially watching all of the teams working hard to prep the cars for the race. Apart from the Jackie Chan mechanics, they were blasting out some heavy tunes and having a laugh :D

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Shall we use this thread for the main Le Mans 2017 discussion?

I have decided we should use this thread for the main Le Mans 2017 discussion :D

I'm watching from home this year. I need to sort out a feed - either Eurosport or the WEC feed. Which is recommended?

Radio Le Mans will be the main source of commentary.

List of resources from the 2015 thread worth checking out: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/le-mans-2015-resources-thread.18676089/

Soldato
Last minute change of plans for me this year mean I'll be watching rather than going.

Plan to just view on Eurosport as I have it anyway, plus radio le mans as their chat is always good when actually trackside.

If you're going to use different commentary anyway I'm not sure the video provider will .after greatly tbh

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I *think* if you've got a Roku box you might be able to watch it for free on Fox Sports Go. FSG is restricted online to American IP addresses but, reading posts Mulsanne's Corner, Roku might have access to it.

I seem to remember me and others finding the ads on Eurosport insanely annoying and repetitive, so I might shell out for the WEC feed and see what it's like.

Back
Top Bottom