• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fidelity Super Resolution 2.0

Soldato
CapframeX just tweeted this out, not sure about their history with posting leaks but I must admit didn't see this coming.

@CapFrameX

FSR 2.0 to come/announced soon. Saw some footage today. Very impressive.

• Temporal upscaling + optimized AA
  • Does not need AI
  • Runs on GPUs from all vendors
  • Impressive performance and image quality
AMD even claims that it can be better than native. ^^

Soldato
Sounds promising, especially for people on older and lower end cards. Hopefully vendor-agnostic solutions like this and XeSS will send DLSS the way of the G-Sync module eventually.

Caporegime
Sounds promising, especially for people on older and lower end cards. Hopefully vendor-agnostic solutions like this and XeSS will send DLSS the way of the G-Sync module eventually.

People said the same when FSR 1.0 came out (in fact, iirc, some even went as far as saying that was it over for dlss) and yet dlss is still being added to nearly every game coming out, even ones that aren't nvidia sponsored... Even though a few love to compare it to the gsync module, they are completely different scenarios, 2 main things being the fact that the gsync module is a physical item produced by nvidia and the second being it cost monitor manufacturers money to buy/use said modules, in comparison dlss is free and easily enabled because of it being a "plugin" for a lot of game engines.

Also, I find it rather amusing that people say about dlss being closed source yet amd block dlss from being added to amd sponsored games... Meanwhile nvidia sponsored games are allowed FSR....

CapframeX just tweeted this out, not sure about their history with posting leaks but I must admit didn't see this coming.

@CapFrameX

FSR 2.0 to come/announced soon. Saw some footage today. Very impressive.

• Temporal upscaling + optimized AA
  • Does not need AI
  • Runs on GPUs from all vendors
  • Impressive performance and image quality

Sounds very similar to unreal engines 5 upscaler so should be good and now comparable to dlss especially for the temporal bit and optimised AA, which is largely why dlss is regarded as being better than "native+TAA/AA", FSR 1.0 did nothing in that regard and only enhanced all the "native+TAA/AA" artefacts.

Soldato
If you can't beat them-join them.

AMD's FSR is benefiting and extending the life of my 1060 laptop in titles, that's a massive benefit to Nv hardware, they could have locked it to AMD, thats a huge plus.

Expected but unimpressed if AMD's going to go down the same route as Nv sponsored titles with poor implementation of TAA-just so that their upscaling tech can make it 'look better than native'.

Caporegime
If you can't beat them-join them.

AMD's FSR is benefiting and extending the life of my 1060 laptop in titles, that's a massive benefit to Nv hardware, they could have locked it to AMD, thats a huge plus.

Expected but unimpressed if AMD's going to go down the same route as Nv sponsored titles with poor implementation of TAA-just so that their upscaling tech can make it 'look better than native'.

Taa is poor regardless of if Nvidia sponsored a game or not.... Look at halo, days gone just to name 2 non Nvidia sponsored titles....

https://www.reddit.com/r/FuckTAA/

The issues taa has are just an inherent fault with this kind of AA, Nvidias dlss just does it better, same way amds fsr 2.0 will likely do it better.

FC 6 and riftbreaker would have greatly benefited from fsr 2 as fsr 1.0 makes them noticeably blurrier (more so at 1440p).

In theory fsr 2 will be more usable at resolutions less than 4k compared to fsr 1.0 too.

Soldato
People said the same when FSR 1.0 came out
Said what? That they hope Nvidia's proprietary technologies crawl off into a dark corner and die? Think you'll find people have been saying that for over a decade, not just when FSR came out. Fortunately, good has repeatedly triumphed over evil in that war. :D

Also, I find it rather amusing that people say about dlss being closed source yet amd block dlss from being added to amd sponsored games... Meanwhile nvidia sponsored games are allowed FSR....
The two things are entirely unrelated. Supporting free and open source technolgies doesn't require someone to support AMD or Nvidia moneyhatting game developers. I support what's best for PC gaming as a whole, rather than rabidly defending [INSERT CORPORATION] on forums like... some. ;)

It's only natural for any unbiased observer to hope for a future where DLSS is obsolete and taken behind the woodshed, because it means there will be a better solution available for all. Let's hope AMD or Intel deliver that, because history tells us that Nvidia sure won't.

Caporegime
Said what? That they hope Nvidia's proprietary technologies crawl off into a dark corner and die? Think you'll find people have been saying that for over a decade, not just when FSR came out. Fortunately, good has repeatedly triumphed over evil in that war. :D

The two things are entirely unrelated. Supporting free and open source technolgies doesn't require someone to support AMD or Nvidia moneyhatting game developers. I support what's best for PC gaming as a whole, rather than rabidly defending [INSERT CORPORATION] on forums like... some. ;)

It's only natural for any unbiased observer to hope for a future where DLSS is obsolete and taken behind the woodshed, because it means there will be a better solution available for all. Let's hope AMD or Intel deliver that, because history tells us that Nvidia sure won't.

That DLSS would die or/and slowly die just but it hasn't, if anything, uptake has sped up even more.

I've just pointed that out with regards to how dlss is completely different to the gsync situation.. a better comparison would be to nvidias physx and even then, that is very different too as with physx, game effects were removed remove/gimped and then locked behind nvidia where no other brand of card could enable them, dlss is not the same, it is not removing something from the core game and then re-adding it back in.

- DLSS is not locking anyone out from using other upscaling methods, amd have their own version, intel have their own version and even games/engines have their own upscaler version, there are multiple ways for anyone with any kind of gpu to use some form of upscaling
- Nvidia are not locking out any other upscaling method from their sponsored games
- developers are not adding dlss because they are sponsored/getting paid, they are adding it because shock horror... it's genuinely good and whether people like it or not it's the best upscaler on the market as well as being very quick and easy to implement

I'm all for open source methods winning out in the end and suspect that at some point dlss will fade out when consumers/developers use an open industry standard (which will most likely be from the game engine side of things....) but alas, if we didn't have dlss, we wouldn't have any "usable" and most importantly "good" upscaling method to use as of right "now" nor for the past 1-2 years... as per all the in depth reviews of fsr 1.0, it is good for what it sets out to achieve but still falls short compared to dlss hence why amd are going down the same path as dlss with FSR 2.0. Intels version is pretty much MIA and we still have yet to see how good it really is, not to mention how easy it will be to implement into games.

Essentially to sum up, DLSS does zero harm to anyone where as things like physx and gsync did harm the industry/consumers.

Permabanned

There would be no FSR or XeSS if it were not for Nvidia pushing ahead with DLSS. It's not just this generation that has seen AMD flailing behind.

Caporegime
There would be no FSR or XeSS if it were not for Nvidia pushing ahead with DLSS. It's not just this generation that has seen AMD flailing behind.

Exactly.

Someone needs to get the ball rolling in order to see competition and progress. Honestly, if it weren't for nvidia, I suspect RT in games wouldn't even be a thing for another couple of years or more likely until the next gen consoles in a few years time.... Hopefully they push direct storage forward as that is the next big thing for games.

TBF to AMD though, they were ahead with "SAM" aka resizable bar, nvidia only "enabled" that after amds announcement.

Caporegime

Rtx Io is just Nvidias branding name for direct storage, same way amd brand adaptive sync as freesync and Nvidia brand it as gsync compatible.

Correct

the RTX IO component, which would be GPU data decompression, is not yet enabled or available in Direct Storage - Microsoft even mentioned this in their blog post, that part is currently being worked on and will be released later

Got a link for that? I thought direct storage comes with w11, afaik, Microsoft are working on it still for w10 so essentially the feature is there for game developers to use, wasn't there also footage of that new game shown using it?

Pretty sure amd and Nvidia side of things are good to go.

Last edited:
Soldato
Rtx Io is just Nvidias branding name for direct storage, same way amd brand adaptive sync as freesync and Nvidia brand it as gsync compatible.

Got a link for that? I thought direct storage comes with w11, afaik, Microsoft are working on it still for w10 so essentially the feature is there for game developers to use, wasn't there also footage of that new game shown using it?

Pretty sure amd and Nvidia side of things are good to go.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/directstorage-api-available-on-pc/

"This release of DirectStorage provides developers everything they need to move to a new model of IO for their games. GPU decompression is next on our roadmap, a feature that will give developers more control over resources and how hardware is leveraged. "

So my understanding is that this first release of DirectStorage has some IO stack enhancements in Windows but it does not yet allow for data to bypass CPU and be decompressed by the GPU into VRAM.

Back
Top Bottom