• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fidelity Super Resolution in 2021

Looks great.

AMD-FSR-4.jpg

Not sure if trolling... The 1060 demo was pretty blurry due to a bad capture.

Now this shot from the 6800XT actually looks great...

bvsXEHU.png

The picture in my head of that scenario playing out is funnier than it really should be.

It also bring up another point, realistic lighting vs artistic. Sometimes the ray traced realistic lighting is going to look flat and boring, whereas the artistic raster implementation will look better. Especially for cinematic scenes in games it will still have a place.

Obviously not fsr these but it will be more or less the same outcome for fsr, so for the ones with eagle eyes, does this really look so "much" worse than "native"? Bet some would pick the wrong one too ;)

xPTav5J.jpg

tOjT4yC.jpg

jzE1zZr.jpg

Cb0cqVi.jpg

3il5bIo.jpg

uLRfyEq.jpg

xVMl9EJ.jpg

Uc7ZJso.jpg

Thoroughly looking forward to FSR especially if it hasn't got any ghosting/trailing issues, looks very good in that screenshot above.

It also bring up another point, realistic lighting vs artistic. Sometimes the ray traced realistic lighting is going to look flat and boring, whereas the artistic raster implementation will look better. Especially for cinematic scenes in games it will still have a place.

TBH, I haven't found any ray traced scene to look flat or boring so far, based purely on metro, control and cyberpunk. I think for games like BF/COD, it would add a lot given the graphics/artistic touch already aims for realistic graphics and BF 1 + 5 and COD are pretty damn good in terms of their textures, physics etc. already so it's mainly the lighting which holds it back from being just that extra step closer to almost photo realism. In days gone, the lighting is very good (better than most games) but you can tell it is very fake looking and just feels of, almost like a low budget film using a green screen behind the characters all the time.

Cool, I didn't know that.

If you could make it so you drag a slider over the combined images I'm sure it would be easier to see a difference.

Ok, Thanks to Rroff i figured it out.

https://imgsli.com/NTY0MDY

Two things, i don't have the originals anymore so i had to download them from where i uploaded them, so not great quality.
They don't lineup, tho i can do that.
I could go back there and get raw images that lineup, i've changed the skin on my ship to a blue which is darker but it should be fine.

i agree tbh. probably better psychologically, since users won't be seeing a solid lower resolution scale in their graphical menu (this is how console games work, people are happy as long as they don't know what's behind it. same for dlss, but at least it does some actual work besides lowering the res and applying a sharpen filter)

It's still a good feature to have. Having a resolution and sharpening slider in all games is a good thing and something I've been waiting for - but it's not a competitor to DLSS in its current form, I'll still use DLSS in games where it's supported and use FSR only in games that don't have DLSS and if I need extra frames otherwise Native will be better than FSR.

AMD May expand its FSR libraries with new feature me more akin to DLSS if they put AI cores in RDNA3. I.e AMD may add Microsoft's MLSS into FSR at some point

Last edited:
It's still a good feature to have. Having a resolution slider in all games is a good thing and something I've been waiting for - but it's not a competitor to DLSS in its current form, I'll still use DLSS in games where it's supported and use FSR only in games that don't have DLSS and if I need extra frames otherwise Native will be better than FSR.

AMD May expand its FSR libraries with new feature me more akin to DLSS if they put AI cores in RDNA3

but it's not a competitor to DLSS in its current form

Why? That's a really strange statement to make, like the rest of us you know absolutely nothing about it.

Why? That's a really strange statement to make, like the rest of us you know absolutely nothing about it.

He's been trying to propagate the nonsense that FSR is just a resolution slider. Ignore him.
AMD themselves say it is a spatial upscaling algorithm https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/radeon-software-fidelityfx-super-resolution.
A resolution scaler would not need any devs to do anything since it can easily be added as a toggle in the driver like VRS, RIS, etc .

We can clearly see in the 6800XT pics that it is almost identical to native whilst achieving more than 30% performance gain.

Last edited:
TBH, I haven't found any ray traced scene to look flat or boring so far, based purely on metro, control and cyberpunk. I think for games like BF/COD, it would add a lot given the graphics/artistic touch already aims for realistic graphics and BF 1 + 5 and COD are pretty damn good in terms of their textures, physics etc. already so it's mainly the lighting which holds it back from being just that extra step closer to almost photo realism. In days gone, the lighting is very good (better than most games) but you can tell it is very fake looking and just feels of, almost like a low budget film using a green screen behind the characters all the time.

Referring more to over the top cinematic lighting that you likely wouldn’t see in real life but in some games it feels right in the environment. The artistic interpretation can look better than the realistic interpretation depending on the scene etc.

It's still a good feature to have. Having a resolution and sharpening slider in all games is a good thing and something I've been waiting for - but it's not a competitor to DLSS in its current form, I'll still use DLSS in games where it's supported and use FSR only in games that don't have DLSS and if I need extra frames otherwise Native will be better than FSR.

AMD May expand its FSR libraries with new feature me more akin to DLSS if they put AI cores in RDNA3. I.e AMD may add Microsoft's MLSS into FSR at some point

Any time you post the song “why you always lying” pops into my head, can’t understand why…:rolleyes:

Doom Eternal can be the best game with RT
Referring more to over the top cinematic lighting that you likely wouldn’t see in real life but in some games it feels right in the environment. The artistic interpretation can look better than the realistic interpretation depending on the scene etc.
Most of the entertainment industry is using fake lighting because realism is so boring. :)

Last edited:
Whereas in gaming we’re trying for more realism :p, depending on the game of course.

i will do you one better, how about chromatic aberration the? they literally implement a lens imperfection to games... film grain, motion blur, all kind of post processing stuff... i

for battlefield and cod Ray tracing is a waste of time most people play on lower settings with nearly everything turned of

The most important things are frames and visual clarity

for battlefield and cod Ray tracing is a waste of time most people play on lower settings with nearly everything turned of

The most important things are frames and visual clarity
True.

I play Black Ops at 4K 120HZ with everything on Low, expect Texture Quality and Model Quality are both on the highest setting with a texture pack.

This means i can maintain 115 FPS constantly with the GPU not fully loaded. Really helps reduce latency and improve responsiveness for fast paced shooters.

Back
Top Bottom