• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fidelity Super Resolution in 2021

This was my favorite review nice and simple(Hardware Canucks) never watched them before but added myself to the 1.6m subs

Tech Jesus said a lot of the same things but with to many words for me

I remember when HUB reviewed DLSS 1.0 and were very critical. It even reached a point where Nvidia were unhappy with them because they said DLSS sucked (and they were right). Then when DLSS 2.0 was released they were quite impressed with it and said it had matured quite a bit. So for HUB to be so positive on FSR at AMDs first attempt is quite telling in my opinion.

I have had RTX GPUs right through DLSS 1.0 to 2.0 and the difference is night and day. Just like the guys over at HUB I felt DLSS 1.0 was utterly atrocious and I think DLSS 2.0 is excellent, because it gives great performance boost for little IQ loss. My tests of FSR at 4K ultra and even quality give me the same feeling as DLSS 2.0 on my RTX 3080. I am genuinely just as impressed by the performance uplift for little IQ loss in FSR as I am with DLSS 2.0.

?? the pics spoke for themselves in that review. i dont blame the reviewer when its the product to blame for itself.

well its something you dont ever have to worry about then

your drawn your conclusions its crappy move on

from the quick tests I did it works and works well but.... until I see it working in a AAA first person shooter I will reserve some judgement

It seems some people on Reddit found an interesting point about the DF comparison:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/commen...p?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Their TAAU comparison is actually completely ****. They only tested FSR performance mode. It's entirely possible FSR is superior to UE4's TAAU if you use Ultra Quality FSR vs TAAU at similar base resolution.

Incredibly lazy testing and could potentially be incredibly misleading. They should really know better and not make broad conclusions of TAAU being superior when they only use 1 test case.

KitGuruTech compared TAAU vs FSR much more exhaustively. They found FSR to be a bit better IQ-wise and for the most part, also faster (same internal resolution).

I'd say, for how "limited" (at least on paper) of a upscaling technique FSR is, it's mightily impressive. Def the most impressive of it's (exact) kind.

Apparently they also enabled VSync too which was weird,and also ignored the shimmering TAAU also introduces.

The KitGuru review:
https://www.kitguru.net/components/...moass/amd-fidelityfx-super-resolution-tested/

They compare FSR and TAAU:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E12PM6HeSNI&t=285s

t91e2XR.jpeg

It also has better FPS:

SbLYsjI.jpeg
FSR is matching a TAAU(slightly less sharpening) but actually has less shimmering so looks better.

Another issue is if TAAU has more GPU overhead,then a weaker GPU could be able to push a higher internal resolution compared to TAAU anyway. Hence why I think the use of VSync was a tad suspect.

Last edited:
Yep, Digital Foundry are going out of their way to ensure FSR has every opportunity to fail, it'a almost like they have some agenda. If only we had some kind of proof of their close ties and funding from Nvidia... Like their Nvidia sponsored "preview" for the RTX 3080 being "80% - 100% faster than an RTX 2080" and subsequent unbiased reviews showed the real difference to be 50%. I simply cannot fathom how people would take the word of proven liars and paid for shills.

I mean you have to be a special kind of idiot to think DF are even remotely objective. What is even more idiotic is basing your opinion on only this one single outlier review and ignoring the other postive reviews and even refusing to test the free FSR tech for yourself in a free demo.

Last edited:
Just done a quick comparison FSR (performance) vs standard in game scaling (50% resolution) which ended up giving same frame rate and GPU usage and FSR looks way better...

The-Riftbreaker-Screenshot-2021-06-22-22-48-46-05.png

The-Riftbreaker-Screenshot-2021-06-22-22-48-09-58.png

Just done a quick comparison FSR (performance) vs standard in game scaling (50% resolution) which ended up giving same frame rate and GPU usage and FSR looks way better...

I did the same kind of tests at 1080p and 4K in RiftBreaker and had the same conclusion. FSR works in 4K really really well and at 1080p it is defintately not as good as native but way better than any form of upscaling.

The irony is I am testing this new AMD tech on my RTX 3080 and it just worked. Got to love open source and how AMD embrace it.

No it isn't

Watch this and learn something

What you want is towards the end.

Right, Tim tried to get the image quality level FSR achieves in Photoshop and he couldn't.
----------

So, rather than being "only as good as DLSS 1 at best" it is in fact much better than that, "Best to best comparison FSR is very close to Nvidia's latest DLSS"

Probably 90 to 95% of Nvidia's best DLSS, at least in the Ultra Quality and Quality modes, Nvidia does better with Balanced and performance modes, Nvidia also does better upscalling to 1080P but that's also not good, its just not "As bad" FSR can increase graphical artefacts if they already exist in games, it does not add graphical artefacts like DLSS does, Ghosting.

Its not perfect, its not quite as good as DLSS 2 but very close, FSR is just as viable. And its only AMD's first go at this.

Its pretty damn good, its impressive. :)

Ignoring TAA shimmer?

I remember they hated shimmering before,but now shimmering is great again? :p

Edit!!

DF guy is argueing on Resetera(where he made that post):
https://www.resetera.com/threads/vi...ted-by-radeon-and-geforce-gpus.434456/page-14

Look at page14 onwards. Also have you noticed how they compared TAAU to FSR Quality and not Ultra Quality mode?? KitGuru tested Ultra Quality! Sneaky! ;)

Right, Tim tried to get the image quality level FSR achieves in Photoshop and he couldn't.
----------

So, rather than being "only as good as DLSS 1 at best" it is in fact much better than that, "Best to best comparison FSR is very close to Nvidia's latest DLSS"

Probably 90 to 95% of Nvidia's best DLSS, at least in the Ultra Quality and Quality modes, Nvidia does better with Balanced and performance modes, Nvidia also does better upscalling to 1080P but that's also not good, its just not "As bad" FSR can increase graphical artefacts if they already exist in games, it does not add graphical artefacts like DLSS does, Ghosting.

Its not perfect, its not quite as good as DLSS 2 but very close, FSR is just as viable. And its only AMD's first go at this.

Its pretty damn good, its impressive. :)

I think it being available to Pascal users,especially during the mass GPU drought of 2021 is very useful!

Last edited:
https://gpuopen.com/fidelityfx-superresolution/

On live stream they said a lot of info that almost no reviewers have showed this info.

Proven that this isn't just a linear scaler like bicubic with a sharpening fitler.. Like D.P keeps posting around.

They is actual work being done within the rendering pipeline to fine tune the pixels to increase the quality back up from a lower res to make it close to actual render res.

Back
Top Bottom