• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fidelity Super Resolution in 2021

6900xt is faster than 3090 so why buy slower?

I can't decide, Trolling or unable to understand what is benched?

anyone doing a closed of solution for gamers holds back gaming like Nvidia keeps doing, duh logic
you support the wrong team

I don't support a team, I simply buy the best product at the time.

For me RDNA2 is a console chip restricted by both cost and power. It has good rasterisation that competes with Nvidia, but terrible RT performance and now, even with the launch of FSR, still 2nd place in a 2 horse race with upscaling tech. RDNA2 would have been a winner if it had gone up against Turing and DLSS 1.0, but sadly that isn't the case. Nvidia is still a generation ahead.

I agree closed solutions are not good for PC, but neither are poor open solutions.

I agree closed solutions are not good for PC, but neither are poor open solutions.

In an ideal world, solutions like DLSS and FSR wouldn't be necessary as the capabilities of consoles and computers would rise in parallel with advancements in display technologies - sadly that's not the case though and we're left with the odd situation that if you want to play the latest (say) console games on a 4k screen, some kind of upscaling is necessary.

As I mentioned a few posts ago, the difference between a 4k image and a 1080p is just a one pixel blur - so whilst DLSS and FSR may promise '4k, 60fps+' gaming, the truth is that you're actually getting a 1080p or 1440p image with some clever post-processing. Sure, the edges may look better than a bilinear scale + sharpening when using FSR, but so far, it looks like the textures fall pretty short.

I have to give props to Nvidia for actually trying to find a way to deliver an image that gives comparable quality to native resolutions (even if they haven't quite achieved that yet) - AMD's solution on the other hand seems quite cynical to me (even more so, since I'm sure the open source/multi-platform support is intended to drum up interest even though they have the inferior solution).

Were I a betting man, I'd wager that DLSS is destined to be Betamax and FSR is destined to be VHS...

I like Digital Foundry (especially their retro console analysis of old Saturn Games etc) but they are noticably consistanly an outlier for being more positive about Intel CPUs & NVidia GPUs than almost all other reviewers, even when the product is as bad as Rocket Lake.
Not that I think NVidia's GPUs are bad like that, far from it, but they seem, let's say very 'well aligned' with NVidia's priorities & points of view. Not saying that there's anything shady about that, it's probably genuinly how they feel but it's noticable.
They also frequently do a better review of games in passing than Eurogamer, whose reviews at times seem more like a stage for student politics grandstanding or an outlet for writers who wish they were writing novels, philisohpy or reportage instead.

It's funny how quickly Digital "Sponsored by Nvidia" Foundry finds reasons to hate on AMD's efforts. Even though I've been harping on about things like a game's darkness showcasing DLSS better than it is (Control when it came out), or the added sharpening fooling people for how much of the gain is from the ML (which they added heavily for DLSS 2.0's launch, and some other things that boost perceptual improvements), or how The Division 2's "dumb" TAA reconstruction is at least on par with DLSS 2.0+, or... on and on it goes. And yet did we hear DF mention those things even once in their dozens of videos on DLSS? Of course not. Even worse Alex is a german and is well aware of computerbase & PCGH and they clearly showed DLSS 2.0 rendering some RT effects like reflections without reconstructing them - so how come this "RT aficionado" doesn't mention these things? Right, there's another Nvidia sponsorship on the horizon. What a pathetic channel.
There is definitely a bias (unconscious perhaps) there or they are just living in a bubble where everyone has 3090 and minor IQ reduction is unacceptable. They also mentioned that TAAU is better and should be used instead of FSR but forgot to mention that developers are not supporting/implementing this tech in most cases. What good is tech when it is not being utilized?

I like Digital Foundry (especially their retro console analysis of old Saturn Games etc) but they are noticably consistanly an outlier for being more positive about Intel CPUs & NVidia GPUs than almost all other reviewers, even when the product is as bad as Rocket Lake.
Not that I think NVidia's GPUs are bad like that, far from it, but they seem, let's say very 'well aligned' with NVidia's priorities & points of view. Not saying that there's anything shady about that, it's probably genuinly how they feel but it's noticable.
Don't say that or you will be called out as an AMD fanboy. In all seriousness, many people are still stuck in the old days where biased outlets were openly aligned and used to fudge data for one side or another. They are not able to distinguish the subtle narrative building of modern media wherein actual facts may be true but everything else surrounding it leads you down a predetermined path.

It is funny seeing people bigging up FSR who were trashing DLSS for being Vaseline like and just upscaling we've had for ages, etc. while FSR is literally just upscaling like we've had for ages with some slight tweaks.

Can't say I'm overly impressed - the temporal upscaling in Quake 2 RTX at a performance uplift similar to balanced gives as good or better image quality as the ultra setting from the screenshots and video I've seen so far of FSR.
I get you are talking in general but most of the negative comments about DLSS are regarding it being described as unarguably better than native.

Two words; Ray Tracing and we know who is promoting that tech vigorously.

Yep - as much as I've enjoyed seeing RT in Quake II, Control, Cyberpunk et al, Nvidia made a rod for it's own back by introducing this technology too soon - RT is nearly unusable without upscaling and AMD doesn't have to be the best to get widespread adoption, they just have to be good enough - which, based on the majority of the reviews, they seem to have achieved.

Yep - as much as I've enjoyed seeing RT in Quake II, Control, Cyberpunk et al, Nvidia made a rod for it's own back by introducing this technology too soon - RT is nearly unusable without upscaling and AMD doesn't have to be the best to get widespread adoption, they just have to be good enough - which, based on the majority of the reviews, they seem to have achieved.
Nvidia has a history of being first for new technologies but they goofed up here as there were ~almost no RT games for close to two years after 2080ti launch. And the games that were launched had intense RT effects (unlike Ratchet and Clank) making them unusable for most GPUs without introducing the element of DLSS. They also concentrated on few AAA games instead of promoting widespread use of RT among non-AAA games.

Nvidia has a history of being first for new technologies but they goofed up here as there were ~almost no RT games for close to two years after 2080ti launch.

Unfortunately, as much as Nvidia might want technologies like RT and DLSS to be differentiators for their brand, ultimately they're like tessellation, ambient occlusion and screen-space reflections - visual technologies that ultimately all platforms will feature - they'd have better success making them open and cross-platform but that's just not Nvidia's way (a lot like Sony actually).

Nvidia has a history of being first for new technologies but they goofed up here as there were ~almost no RT games for close to two years after 2080ti launch. And the games that were launched had intense RT effects (unlike Ratchet and Clank) making them unusable for most GPUs without introducing the element of DLSS. They also concentrated on few AAA games instead of promoting widespread use of RT among non-AAA games.

You won't hear a reviewer talking about how the DLSS ( and FSR ) will in fact make the RT effects to look very close to those on consoles. "Look how low res they are on consoles, look how high res they are on native PC, consoles are bad, pc is great" but no one is showing you how they look on DLSS PC.

Watched a few videos

mans the conclusion seems to be that FSR isn't bad and is better tha dlss 1.0. FSR however seems to work best when you get it higher resolution more so than dlss - as in dlss can work with less pixels than FSR can. FSR really want you to output 4k so it can get as many pixels possible, if you use FSR at 1440p,1080p,720p the image quality takes a big hit where as dlss works better at those low resolutions

Back
Top Bottom