• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fidelity Super Resolution in 2021

Soldato
Main use of FSR as I see it is people on lower end hardware who'll just be happy to get a balance where they get reasonable frame rates and are resigned to the fact they are going to be compromising somewhere.

Not sure tbh I running 6800xt at 4 on godfall maxed out I was getting around 50fps with FSR ultra quality this jumped up to 80fps

The difference between the two is very much a win for FSR I couldn't see any difference between on or off.

Next game on my list is farcry 6 I can bet that game will be demanding at 4k maxed out.

Caporegime
Stop it I’m running out of signature space for your nail on the head quotes.

One of life's great conundrums, where does ICDP end and @LtMatt begin!!!!????! :p

image.png

It's love I tell thee, true love :D

Caporegime
One of life's great conundrums, where does ICDP end and @LtMatt begin!!!!????! :p

image.png

It's love I tell thee, true love :D
He's not wrong though, is he. :D

Not sure tbh I running 6800xt at 4 on godfall maxed out I was getting around 50fps with FSR ultra quality this jumped up to 80fps

The difference between the two is very much a win for FSR I couldn't see any difference between on or off.

Next game on my list is farcry 6 I can bet that game will be demanding at 4k maxed out.
FSR is great for the 6700 XT. Can't really tell the difference in image quality when using Ultra Quality vs Native, but you can feel the extra FPS gained. Makes the 6700 XT a 4K card rather than 1440P in supported games.

The issue is that he basically is argueing on multiple forums(Resetera and Reddit) and in his video,that UE TAAU is better than FSR. But the issue is he didn't bother testing UE TAAU when DLSS1.0 was out(it was there from 2018),then didn't bother testing Ultra Quality FSR,and seemingly did not see any added shimmering with UE TAAU. The whole video was rather weird WRT to UE TAAU.

But the issue is KitGuru basically tested it in Godfall,and saw UE TAAU was having a bit more sharpening,but looked worse overall due to shimmering and performed a bit worse. Then he dismissed it out of hand on another forum.

This is despite people pointing out others had also done the comparisons.Then he called out HUB for some weird reason,and basically on Reddit basically called out the entire press,that they were getting things wrong. Yet,it was a strawman because watching many of the videos,nobody was calling DLSS and FSR the same.Considering you have people with engineering backgrounds,and people with computing PhDs he is by far not the most qualified to make these kinds of hints.

DF historically made mistakes too,which have been pointed out.....yet they are poor at also recognising their own limitations.

Just because he can spend time analysing stuff,or talking a lot of technobabble does not mean anything - because in science and engineering that does not mean you will get a high impact paper.

Too many people get stars in their eyes with them,and gloss over obvious flaws that have been shown in some of their analysis(or things they themselves have glossed over for some weird reason).

If that is the case people such as Steve Burke at Gamersnexus, Dr Ian Cutress at Anandtech,etc would never be wrong. If anything Dr Ian Cutress is quite a humble guy(and won't cover up any mistakes he makes).
Do you have any links to these posts and call outs Cat? Not seen them and curious to have a read myself.

Last edited:
Associate
Just like i predicted. All the ‘dlss sucks’ ‘its so blurry’ people etcetc are now praising the inferior ( just the reality ) FSR and claiming ‘cant see any difference vs native’. Just cause it’s AMD branded.

Need a clown emoji for cases like these.

:cry:

Caporegime
Just like i predicted. All the ‘dlss sucks’ ‘its so blurry’ people etcetc are now praising the inferior ( just the reality ) FSR and claiming ‘cant see any difference vs native’. Just cause it’s AMD branded.

I think you will find that's what tech press and gamers are saying Chris. Are they wrong too as well as everyone else?

Have a look at the Native vs Ultra Quality screenshots here and see if you think it looks blurry. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmfBfrWrCDQLukTFlgi9mjobpAFH?e=HYUfvQ

I think the consensus is (from press and actual user feedback who are using FSR) that Performance and Balanced mode soften the image, but Ultra Quality is very similar to native, but without any motion trails or blurring at 4K/1440P. At 1080P FSR is not as impressive.

I think the complaint of DLSS was performance mode was blurry, which press and user reviews agree on and even the greatest fans here of DLSS agree on. DLSS 1.0 was bad, 2.0/1 was better, Quality mode was much better than performance, the only negative was trails and ghosting in movement. I don't think anyone has argued with that but by all means prove me wrong.

Last edited:
Soldato

No the fact is DLSS 1.0 was so badly blurry it got called out by the tech press and rightly so you could even see it in still images.

The fact is FSR 1.0 on ultra quality doesn't suffer the same issue least in the games tested so far and for the most part the tech press is giving it good feedback not just AMD users even nvidia users.

Soldato

I have a 3080 and hated DLSS 1.0 as it was crap and I defy anyone to claim otherwise. Getting playable RT reflections in Control with DLSS 1.0 was a major compromise in IQ for people at 4K. It was not until DLSS 2.0 that DLSS actually came even close to matching the hype and I think it is an excellent tech right now.

My own posts from weeks ago have already stated that if FSR was just DLSS 1.0 it would be an epic failure. But having tried it I can say it is a very good first attempt for 4K and quality or ultra quality settings. I even tested at 1080p and found that while it has blurring it still has its uses. It is far better than DLSS 1.0 at at 4K UQ it is close to DLSS 2.0.

So a quick question, have you tried it with the free 5GB RiftBreaker demo? If you have a 4K screen test at UQ or Quality (or if you have 1440p test at Ultra Quality) and if you genuinely feel it is as bad as you are making out then fair enough. So I wont claim it is a good as native but then again neither is DLSS 2.0 in my tests on Death Stranding or CP2077 for example but FSR and DLSS 2.0 do come close enough to be very viable.

Soldato
OP

Indeed it was super predictable

Associate
No the fact is DLSS 1.0 was so badly blurry it got called out by the tech press and rightly so you could even see it in still images.

The fact is FSR 1.0 on ultra quality doesn't suffer the same issue least in the games tested so far and for the most part the tech press is giving it good feedback not just AMD users even nvidia users.

Who said anything about DLSS 1.0? That one was garbage.

I’m talking about post 2.0, people were still saying the same things.

Soldato
OP
I have a 3080 and hated DLSS 1.0 as it was crap and I defy anyone to claim otherwise. Getting playable RT reflections in Control with DLSS 1.0 was a major compromise in IQ for people at 4K. It was not until DLSS 2.0 that DLSS actually came even close to matching the hype and I think it is an excellent tech right now.

My own posts from weeks ago have already stated that if FSR was just DLSS 1.0 it would be an epic failure. But having tried it I can say it is a very good first attempt for 4K and quality or ultra quality settings. I even tested at 1080p and found that while it has blurring it still has its uses. It is far better than DLSS 1.0 at at 4K UQ it is close to DLSS 2.0.

So a quick question, have you tried it with the free 5GB RiftBreaker demo? If you have a 4K screen test at UQ or Quality (or if you have 1440p test at Ultra Quality) and if you genuinely feel it is as bad as you are making out then fair enough. So I wont claim it is a good as native but then again neither is DLSS 2.0 in my tests on Death Stranding or CP2077 for example but FSR and DLSS 2.0 do come close enough to be very viable.

You should try dlss2.2 in both cyberpunk and death stranding it's majorly improved

Soldato
Considering Minecraft RTX made it onto Digital Foundry's list of the best graphics of 2020, probably because of raytracing and CP2077 is first on that list, i think they care more about how the image is produced rather than what the final image looks like.

Caporegime
Who actually? Far as I know DLSS 2.0 is highly regarded.
Fair question, i keep asking that but then get nothing back.

I remember once @TheRealDeal made a joke about DLSS because Grim posted some blurry screenshots in the Art benchmark thread and I called it the Vaseline effect as a continuation of the joke. :p

That's literally all I've been able to find. :D

Soldato
OP

The DLSS .DLL files are interchangeable, just take the DLSS 2.2 .DLL file and copy paste into Cyberpunk and Death Stranding directory and boom instant image quality improved.

That's one thing thats cool about DLSS, the AI/DL model is stored as a .DLL file and that file can be applied to most other DLSS games without the game needing to be patched - so as long as the game supports DLSS, then whenever Nvidia releases a new version you can just update the game yourself

Soldato
You should try dlss2.2 in both cyberpunk and death stranding it's majorly improved

That fixes the motion/ghosting artifacting, it does not fix the slightly blurred compared to native look. Using a 3080 in a game like Death Stranding that has no RT, you get decent FPS so you can run with DLSS off and just enable FXAA to get a sharper image with no artifacting and more than good enough performance. It delivers an overall better experience in my opinion.

Where I see DLSS (or FSR) being helpful is when RT is worth enabling and you are OK to compromise on the slightly blurred look compared to native. This would mean games like WDL or CP2077 for example. This is where trading al ittle bit of IQ is worth it for the higher RT eye candy.

Where FSR has additional advantages is when someone gets a 30%-70% performance uplift for a little IQ loss on older GPUs. The HardwareCanucks review tested Godfall where they lowered graphical setting to get the same FPS as FSR at Ultra and the game looked much much worse.

Back
Top Bottom