Fiesta MK8

Associate
If you are spending that sort of money have you looked at the new Polo GTI plus? They are that £19,5k on DTD with a lot of gadgets (as standard), a faster engine, DSG gearbox and stronger residuals.

Would be useful to get a price I should be aiming for on a Fiesta?

Depends on how long you intend to keep it and what you are comparing against.

Calculate the purchase price less residual value when you intend to sell, add in the cost of finance (if any) and get a estimated cost of ownership and determine what price YOU would be willing to pay. (I have ignored fuel / tax / servicing / tires etc as these are probably pretty similar if you are looking at new small cars). Honestly speaking in my opinion you would be mad to spend anywhere near that sort of money on a fiesta it would lose c£10k in depreciation in just a few years and that sort of cost of ownership gets you into much nicer car territory if you buy wisely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mobster
Soldato
OP
Thanks all.

Basically, it needs to be small car, e.g. Fiesta, Corsa, etc. because otherwise insurance skyrockets. Fiesta for instance is only £40 more a year to insure than my current car (Mazda2).

So, total cost of the car is £19314, including things like number plates, VED, etc.

£1000 deposit by me + £1800 part-ex for my old car.

£333.50 per month * 24 months = £8004.

So if I give the car back after two years, it would be total £7204 if I've worked this out right (£8004 + £1000 deposit - £1800 part-ex)?

Associate
7200 plus your current car to drive a Fiesta for 2 years is certifiably insane. Don't do that.

That is good advice.

If the cost of insurance is an issue in the slightest (assuming by your previous post you are young and/or haven't been driving long) spending £19k on a car probably isn't the wisest decision. Why not just get a decent used car for a few years until you have gotten more driving experience?

Mobster
Soldato
OP
That is good advice.

If the cost of insurance is an issue in the slightest (assuming by your previous post you are young and/or haven't been driving long) spending £19k on a car probably isn't the wisest decision. Why not just get a decent used car for a few years until you have gotten more driving experience?

I've been driving three years, so I've had an "old" car for that time. I'd like something new now.

I know you don't want a big car but for comparison sake, for that money over 2 years you can lease an Audi A6

https://www.selectcarleasing.co.uk/..._4dr_s_tronic/24/8000/3/81904-12442-2018.html

That's useful thanks.

I don't need/want something like that though.

I basically want a small new hatch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
What does the equivalent Ibiza cost? That in all honesty seems an obscene amount to spend on a cooking fiesta even with discount.

Would have to agree that the likes of a mini would seem like a better ownership prospect at the money stated

Mobster
Soldato
OP
Buying a £20k Fiesta doesn't sound like an appropriate response to squealing brakes.

How old is it? Have you taken it to somewhere else?

Well as I say I fancy a change anyway.

Yeah I've taken it somewhere else, the issue is that often the issue will occur at random times but the only foolproof way to hear the noise is first thing in the morning when the brakes are cold. With that in mind, I've booked a mobile mechanic for tomorrow morning.

Soldato
That's useful thanks.

I don't need/want something like that though.

I basically want a small new hatch.
I know, it's just a demonstration of what such a large outlay gets you. Spending more money to effectively rent a Fiesta would just be flat out stupid frankly.

The problem with leasing is that options don't come cheap. If you could live without a car that parks itself, then the Focus 1.0T 140bhp ST Line can be had for £960 down then £160 per month. If you start adding options then the price gets silly.

Mobster
Soldato
OP
I know, it's just a demonstration of what such a large outlay gets you. Spending more money to effectively rent a Fiesta would just be flat out stupid frankly.

The problem with leasing is that options don't come cheap. If you could live without a car that parks itself, then the Focus 1.0T 140bhp ST Line can be had for £960 down then £160 per month. If you start adding options then the price gets silly.

It's a bit too big sadly. I don't mean to sound difficult but I really do like the Fiesta as a car but I acknowledge the price is a large issue.

Soldato
Part of the issue is the 2 year period, why have you opted for 2 years? That makes the whole arrangement needlessly expensive as that's where the biggest depreciation hit occurs, so whether you buy outright and sell later, finance on pcp and hand back, lease or otherwise you're paying exclusively for the most expensive period of ownership.

3 and 4 year arrangements will reduce the annual costs, if you will keep a car that long.

That being said, that applies to everything, the Fiesta is still in relative terms absolutely horrendous at those monthly costs for a car you won't even own afterwards.

Soldato
Looks a really good smaller car, with decent build and good spec for it's class. I don't think I could spend £17k+ on one.

Definitely look on Broadspeed though if you've made your mind up. Titanium X 125ps 5dr is £16,605 before the options you want to add.

Mobster
Soldato
OP
Part of the issue is the 2 year period, why have you opted for 2 years? That makes the whole arrangement needlessly expensive as that's where the biggest depreciation hit occurs, so whether you buy outright and sell later, finance on pcp and hand back, lease or otherwise you're paying exclusively for the most expensive period of ownership.

3 and 4 year arrangements will reduce the annual costs, if you will keep a car that long.

That being said, that applies to everything, the Fiesta is still in relative terms absolutely horrendous at those monthly costs for a car you won't even own afterwards.

You get interest on +2 years, only 1.2% mind.

Back
Top Bottom