Fiesta MK8

Man of Honour
I'm really confused. When did a fiesta become basically a 20k car? Please don't buy this, you will hate yourself for it in a few months.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Don't pay more for less.
Small cars are absolutely horrific value for money once you start adding decent options.
I'm really confused. When did a fiesta become basically a 20k car? Please don't buy this, you will hate yourself for it in a few months.
Inflation? A (non-GTI/R) VW Golf can run up to almost £40,000 once you start ticking boxes.

Man of Honour
Small cars are absolutely horrific value for money once you start adding decent options.

Inflation? A (non-GTI/R) VW Golf can run up to almost £40,000 once you start ticking boxes.

That means the small car has basically doubled in cost in 10 years, I bought a brand new small car some 11 years ago and it was like 10k with option paint, wheels and a bigger engine. I hated myself for that. I can't imagine how I would feel if I paid double that.

Op please take the advice in here and look at the mini.

Soldato
Soldato
https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/inflation

11 years ago £20k would have been £14539.53, which is totally reasonable for one of the best small cars in the market
The interior in the mk8 is also a massive step up from the mk7, theres a nice (unfortunately stuck on) screen available and yes it's no S class but it certainly feels up to contesting the polo for interior quality

OP I would cut on the options - I have just run a quote on carwow will report back tomorrow

Mobster
Soldato
OP
I'm doing lots of research and taking a step back. Don't worry I don't intend to rush into anything, this is all still up for consideration.

I really do appreciate all the advice.

Don't pay more for less.

Sure I get you but I really don't want a large car. I really like the size of the Fiesta/Mazda2/Corsa.

Right, so somebody with my options minus the paint, was able to get one for about £15,800. This seems far more reasonable to me. Was via a broker so think I'll shop around a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Does seem like a rather good deal, even with my 15,000 miles a year.
If your mileage is as much as that, why were you considering a small city car in the first place? :(

Anyway, glad to see you're listening. Too many times people just stick their fingers in their ears and end up paying millions to rent a bicycle. CarCraft, anyone? :D

Mobster
Soldato
OP
If your mileage is as much as that, why were you considering a small city car in the first place? :(

Anyway, glad to see you're listening. Too many times people just stick their fingers in their ears and end up paying millions to rent a bicycle. CarCraft, anyone? :D

Cheap to insure, easy to manoeuvre, etc. It's basically to get me to work and back.

But yes I am listening. I really do appreciate the advice.

Soldato
The mk8 seems over-priced. I remember people buying new mk7 STs for not much more than 16k.

It's not had 5k worth of improvements over the previous generation. They rearranged the interior and made it look like a Polo, that's about it.

Soldato
15,000 miles a year will also go some way to explaining the high PCP cost. Dealers seem to want people doing 8,000 to 10,000 miles or the price starts ramping up. Throw in the 2 year period and its no wonder you're looking at £7000 plus your car to borrow a Fiesta for 2 years.

I think you ought to consider test driving something Astra sized, they're hardly big ungainly cars that are impossible to park. You might be surprised how imperceptible the difference in size is when it comes to parking etc.

Soldato
I think you ought to consider test driving something Astra sized, they're hardly big ungainly cars that are impossible to park. You might be surprised how imperceptible the difference in size is when it comes to parking etc.

^ this - and dont forget the new Fiesta has grown significantly over the older generation, whereas the new Astra is smaller on the outside (but bigger on the inside) than it's predecessor. :)

Soldato
I see you've hit the same realisation as me in a leasing thread :p I was looking at the Mk8 Fiesta in TitX guise with a couple of extras. I saw that the lease price over two years (when adding metallic paint as the only option!) was working out at about £7500 over the two year lease period, whereas an Audi A4 Saloon Sport with S-Tronic box - if I was willing to forego the Tech Pack and lose out on the really cool Virtual Cockpit - worked out at £7200 over two years and that's without waiting for a particularly juicy deal to show up. Even with the Tech Pack it's about £7600 over two years which puts it in-line with the Fiesta price.

I realised I was mad to continue looking at the Fiesta TitX when I'd have a much nicer car in the A4, very much equivalent spec (and better in some cases - the Fiesta drops the spare wheel for a subwoofer, crazy!) and get a really nice automatic by all accounts.

Soldato
then the Focus 1.0T 140bhp ST Line can be had for £960 down then £160 per month
Where :confused: cheapest I have seen for the ST line is about 1.5k down and £160 p/m

In regards to op you would have to be on drugs to pay 21k for a Ford Fiesta :eek: especially a non ST model. At the speed car values are inflating compared to wages and living costs at this rate I won’t even be able to afford a new KA in 5 years time :D Ford Fiesta is a cheap run around and shouldn’t be anywhere near 20k.
Also Op the Focus and Astra offer far better value for money. If your not confident driving a mid sized hatch then you might want to have some more driving lessons

Soldato
Soldato
Carwow

1.0 ecoboost 140 nav ST-line, manual, 5 door
Driver assistance pack, comfort pack, city pack, rear camera (not really needed?), variable boot floor, driver lumbar support, electric rear windows

0% finance (it says on carwow). Cheapest one so far is £18177 saving £1643 or 8.3% off the list price

There is also scrappage available for pre-2010 cars with a minimum of £2000 off (not sure whether this can be used as well as carwow offer but worth a try and it is mentioned on carwow site)

Back
Top Bottom