Fiesta ST's... whats to know?

[TW]Fox;18141327 said:
To 'destroy' a 182 in an Ibiza you'd need a significant power advantage, perhaps 250-300bhp?

I would think so. But all that power is good for is speed. Come to a corner and it will torque steer out like mad! Not good.

Just those mods and you say its making 260? Not a chance. More like 205 and at the wheels well below 200BHP. Ill eat my shorts if a FR TDi with just them mods make that.

Still a ****e engine in the ST.

Yes because the Duratec I4 is reknowned for being a rubbish engine. Not like they're popular in motorsport, for kit cars, hillclimb cars, and highly tunable whilst staying N/A. Not like its lightweight, with big valves and ports for good gasflow. Not capable of over 300bhp without forced induction or anything like that :rolleyes:

Your ignorance is really getting very tiresome. The engine is not at its best in the Fiesta ST as it leaves the factory for sure, but to call it ***** is rubbish.

Yes because the Duratec I4 is reknowned for being a rubbish engine. Not like they're popular in motorsport, for kit cars, hillclimb cars, and highly tunable whilst staying N/A. Not like its lightweight, with big valves and ports for good gasflow. Not capable of over 300bhp without forced induction or anything like that :rolleyes:

Your ignorance is really getting very tiresome. The engine is not at its best in the Fiesta ST as it leaves the factory for sure, but to call it ***** is rubbish.

It's crap in the ST, so it's crap, end off. Were not talking about bloody motorsport here or kit cars, were talking about a 5k hatchback. It's gutless and rubbish.

What if I went and said something like 'the Honda Integra is crap'?

Of course if I was referring solely to the 1.5 carb five door first gen Integra I'd be right, it is pretty crap...but in saying 'the Integra is crap' I'm making a largely inaccurate generalisation in the same way that branding the Duratec engine as '*****' is. I really like the good Integras btw, just so you know :)

I was wondering, is the Duratec in the Fiesta ST still crap when reliably supercharged to over 300bhp on stock internals? :)

It's more tuneable because Ford limited the ST? What on earth does that mean?

Air filter giving massive gains eh? Are you a halfords man by any chance?

You'd need to completey sort the breathing out, with a quality airbox, manifold and catback, as well as mapping, which is not cheap, you just can't tune N/A cars easily, especially 2 Litre 4 pots, and then your looking at 30bhp max. Still a ****e engine in the ST.

Don't know what planet people are on, but a ST does not keep up with a 182 Clio. Also whats with the posts about scary clio running costs, has the world gone mad?

Actually, from what I've been reading, there are two major restrictions on the ST150. The airbox and the manifold/downpipe - these two with a decat appear to make a huge difference (Over and over again I'm reading 170bhp).

But were talking about the engine in this car, and its really not great is it? In standard form it's really not a proper let down to the rest of the car.

You can say what you want about Integra engines, mine's a civic engine with different manifold/cams, ECU and thats about it.:D

It's crap in the ST, so it's crap, end off. Were not talking about bloody motorsport here or kit cars, were talking about a 5k hatchback. It's gutless and rubbish.

its far from crap. Ford Purposely detuned it and held it back by fitting a terrible induction and exhaust system. In a mazda as standard it makes 165 vs 148 in the ford. £300 on 2 mods can get you 165 in the fiesta too.

The Engine is good for 300bhp NA, and some people are pushing 450bhp with superchargers. Like Will said, oversized valves, a good flowing head and a lightweight strong block.. Yeh sounds a crap engine.

You dont see many renault engines in kitcars. Why is that?

You dont see many renault engines in kitcars. Why is that?

The lack of tranmissions that will bolts up to renault block but fit in a RWD kit car. Whereas obviously ford RWD boxes are 2 a penny.

A Well tuned F7R or F4R would be stonking in a kit car, evey bit as good as a duratec.

. If you are looking into reliability look at a BMW or Audi etc!

:D :D

Or don't in my experience and I drive my car like a girl for fear of breaking it!

I still think all in all the Ford would be a cheaper ownership prospect. Doesn't matter how fast or fun a car is, how well it handles, if you have no faith in it's reliability and are shelling out on stupid electrical stuff every week. I don't want a 30-40,000 mile car popping loads of stuff like wiper motors and what not - who would?

True though some cars are great some cars aren't, my Corsa B was the most reliable car in the world haha, and it had a pasting a lot! It was a peach, it drove well (to me, and I'd driven a LOT of Corsa's to compare it to), was reliable and just kept on going no bother.

The Fiesta seems that kind of car. The Clio... not so sure. You hear more bad than good online of course for anything which goes wrong but I've heard a lot more with the Clio's than Fiesta's.

But, I'm not looking at a new car JUST to abuse around country lanes, a lot of the time it'll be used in town... no waiting for turbo's to warm up and cool down, nice looking, nice and small for zipping in and out of traffic... cheap to run etc etc... but if I want to go for a razz on a Sunday afternoon I can enjoy it, but, I'm no racing driver so it's unlikely I'd be near any cars limits anytime soon.

PS: Smokey, go away, you're not reading the thread before replying, you could even read the first post before p**sing everyone off with your nonsense? Thanks :)

Agree and go away.

Everyone knows that the ST is limited and very easy to get gains out of it. Like the guy said about the Mazda, same engine, more power, end of.

I would like to add that you should drive several ST's before you buy and get a feel for how the clutches are and breaks cause they seem to wear the most.

A quick question that kind of involves this engine.

Does my 2007 2.0 Focus have the same engine as the Fiesta ST? I'm wondering why its only around 143hp though rather than the 148/150 :confused:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom