FIFA Women's World Cup 2023 **spoilers** [20th July - 20th August 2023]

What the hell is going on there, how has this bloke managed to get so much power. Unbelievable, you’d have thought they’d just say look mate, you’re just going to have to resign. He’s going to ruin it for all his mates in there as well as clearly the entire organisation needs reformed.

Court have now opened up a sexual assault investigation

Sorry, but this has got totally ridiculous

Mental, the event was broadcast live around the globe. What exactly do they need to investigate.

I’m surprised the bloke hasn’t come out with it’s a deep fake.

They’ll write studies on this in years to come for an example of how to completely mishandle a PR situation.

All this would have taken would have been a simple ‘sorry got caught up in the moment’ apology and it would have been forgotten about the next day. Instead they’ve double/triple and quadrupled down, gone scorched earth and now we have this!

They’ll write studies on this in years to come for an example of how to completely mishandle a PR situation.

All this would have taken would have been a simple ‘sorry got caught up in the moment’ apology and it would have been forgotten about the next day. Instead they’ve double/triple and quadrupled down, gone scorched earth and now we have this!
Not sure about being forgotten about the next day mind! I agree though, an insincere apology from him, written by someone else and ticking all the sorry sorry, out of order remorseful boxes would have at least taken it off the front pages. It's an absolute disaster.

I just seen wrightys tweet.

I didn’t realise he was VP of UEFA! No bloody wonder we’ve got radio silence there as well.

I guess they’ve said we won’t do anything but clearly we can’t release a statement backing you.

I don't follow the news much, I definitely don't follow football, but I just saw about this on BBC Breakfast News and was a little surprised it's become such a big point.

I guess I think this. Don't get me wrong, I know it's not acceptable to just grab and kiss a woman on the lips, but surely context is very important and it's not quite as big an outrage as is going on at the moment? Has it become this big because of how it's been handled, rather than what actually happened?

I guess I think this. Don't get me wrong, I know it's not acceptable to just grab and kiss a woman on the lips, but surely context is very important and it's not quite as big an outrage as is going on at the moment? Has it become this big because of how it's been handled, rather than what actually happened?
I think how it's been handled has blown it up far larger than it would have been if there had been an immediate apology - although I'm sure that wouldn't have just swept it under the carpet given the other things the guy has said/done

Gets his mum involved, classic move :p

The RFEF asking for their teams to be suspended from UEFA competitions because of government interference is just a power move to try and force their big teams to back the sex pest. What a bunch of clowns.

Last edited:
"Position has become untenable" is a bit of an over-used phrase for any public figure that's subject to intense scrutiny, but surely has to apply here. I mean they've literally got the whole squad (and beyond) saying they won't play whilst he's in place, so regardless of whether the individual concerned is deemed to have been guilty of wrong-doing or not, that's an impossible scenario to continue with.

By the sounds of it this is just uncovering a toxic culture behind the scenes that was bubbling away (hence the refusal of many to play for the coach), what's interesting is the claims that those in power tried to influence Hermoso to hold off, to issue statements backing the president etc. Reminds me a bit of the situation with that Chinese tennis player who made some sort of sexual allegation against a politician and then disappeared and was forced to put out a video saying "I'm fine innit" or something (memory a bit hazy).

The issue the Spanish FA has is this transcends international boundaries and has a lot of scrutiny so it's hard to brush under the carpet in the way they might be able to with a situation at a domestic team. They could have a scenario where other countries shun the Spanish FA until they sort it out, I mean technically they could bar Spain from playing in the Nations league I guess, assuming they could even find the players willing to play?

edit: I'd like to add this must be pretty bloody annoying for the players (and Hermoso especially), even leaving aside the wrongness of the incident, you've won the World Cup and now this has stolen all the limelight, you can't properly enjoy the moment. Heck there will probably be events cancelled, the winners will get invited on chat shows and then this nonsense dominates proceedings etc (contrast with England last summer where some of the girls probably took the opportunity to leverage their fame and earn a few quid etc, good luck to them).

Last edited:
Realistically you’d need more men to stand up and refuse to play, it’s a sorry state that it has to come to that.

Int break coming up soon so if they rightly stand behind her that’ll be like the light switch going off.

Right now, same with FIFA/UEFA they don’t answer to anyone so they don’t give a monkeys and do what they like.

Spain manager been sacked, I'm sure to no-ones great surprise. Meanwhile Woody Allen has jumped up in defence saying it's not like he raped her, murdered someone or burnt down a school. Or presumably marrying one of his ex partners children after years of abuse allegations against other ones. No definitely not that bad Woody lad. Looking forward to further hot takes from Harvey Weinstein and Peter Sutcliffe on the subject.

Blimey, now she’s filing a complaint with the prosecutors office of assault. He‘ll end up arrested. They won’t be happy until they’ve completely destroyed the man’s life

The ball has started rolling now. It had got ridiculous a long while ago and its getting more so by the day.

The ball has started rolling now. It had got ridiculous a long while ago and its getting more so by the day.
This will be kicked down the road till it ends up in front of a Spanish jury, who'll likely kick it out, given how indifferent the Spanish public were to it, even before the video was made public.

God forbid someone gets on the wrong side of some of the posters here and makes a mistake jfc

Absolutely mental
Make a mistake, refuse to apologise, blame the woman, blame all women, seek the backing of men with a similar attitude towards women. Mental indeed, as are the people trying to downplay it.

Make a mistake, refuse to apologise, blame the woman, blame all women, seek the backing of men with a similar attitude towards women. Mental indeed, as are the people trying to downplay it.
Yeah agree. I said earlier in the thread, if he just acknowledged what he had done and apologised the next day I feel it would have all blown over by now. Even if he didn't mean it, which he clearly wouldn't have, it would have hugely limited the damage. Now he's ruined and she is a pin up heroine.

Back
Top Bottom