FIFA World Cup 2014 - GROUP D [Uruguay, Costa Rica, England, Italy - 14/19/20/24 June] **spoilers**

Soldato
Of course they get sanctioned, and rightly so, but is a bite (or three) so bad that it should result in a global football ban, or whatever, when other horrific challenges/headbutts/etc get things like a three match ban (sometimes a tad longer, but not often).

What ban would you think is fair?

He is a repeat offender. If someone made a point of headbutting opposition players repeatedly (properly, not those forehead massages), I would advocate a long ban.

He is also a class A, repeat offender ****;
-he stamps and kicks other players
-he dives and feigns injury to try and get advantages
-he ruined Ghana's world cup last time and this he got away with the bite following which Italy concede the goal that knocks them out.
-the racism point was done to death

This is one in a long line of really nasty things. I dont see why other teams should have to continue to have to deal with such a cheat (the irony being that he is so talented).

Permabanned
That does sound stupid, but I guess they'd argue that the lower league chap was just lower league, whilst Ferdinand was an international/in European competition (remember those days :p)/etc, so the 'offence' was worse. But yeah, that sounds silly.

Personally I quite like out of competition testing where they just turn up whenever, then if you miss a few you get hit hard - as with the aforementioned Ohuruogu case. It's hard to decide what to do when someone grabs you and says you have to give a sample, then you just bail... on one hand a big ban seems harsh, but on the other it seems necessary (otherwise dopers would just run away! :p)

The only thing he was guilty of was being stupid.

The reason he was made a scapegoat is because he was high profile, and the people wonder why Man Utd fans couldn't give a **** about England. The FA is corrupt. Same as Rooney swearing at the camera yet how many times do you see players flicking the V's at opposing fans, Wilshere most recently, what did he get? **** all.

Don
The only thing he was guilty of was being stupid.

The reason he was made a scapegoat is because he was high profile, same as Rooney swearing at the camera yet how many times do you see players flicking the V's at opposing fans, Wilshere most recently, what did he get? **** all.

Suarez was banned for that.

Caporegime
Wasn't the point that someone came up to him after a match and said he had to give a sample... then he just went home. That sounds pretty damning!

I agree it definitely sounds suspect, but to give the same length of ban as someone proven to be guilty is still harsh in my eyes.

Plus this is Ferdinand we're talking about, not the sharpest tool in the box by any stretch of the imagination :p

Soldato
Which means? Length? Scope?

Who doesn't? Obviously I'm not saying literally every player does, but it's basically common practice!

Who doesn't?

It was a handball :shrug:. What should've happened to Henry?
Given that Italy got knocked out of a friggin WC finals and that was the real damage, I would actually DQ Uruguay and re-instate Italy.

The remedy cures the injury caused.

I think very few players regularly stamp and kick other players. Suarez is a player who regularly lashes out

You're right, a lot of players feign injury; what makes Suarez particularly abhorrent is that he feigns injury when he is the one who has done the damage.

With the Henry handball, I would also DQ France. When one team benefits from one really outstandingly outrageous act by one player, DQ the team. Watch how quickly those acts stop.

Soldato
You also think Moyes did a cracking job :/

Cracking job? Putting words into people's mouths eh?

Edit, i really wanna see you play footy...

Including the hepititus or any other disease you could have transmitted to you ?

you can do just as much harm breaking it you know? my mate had to have his leg amputated due to an infection when he broke it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Given that Italy got knocked out of a friggin WC finals and that was the real damage, I would actually DQ Uruguay and re-instate Italy.

You're kidding, right? It didn't affect the game at all, why should it affect Uruguay's world cup? He won't play for the rest of the tournament (at the very least), that's punishment enough.

Soldato
There's a south American correspondent on the radio now and states her first reaction was "to laugh" and that the Brazilian media's first reaction was to laugh. She is now artfully dodging any form of saying "that is a disgrace", almost to the point of sticking up for him.

Back
Top Bottom