FIFA World Cup 2018 - Round of 16 [30th June, 1/2/3 July] **spoilers**

Soldato
We aren't tricky to play against, Panama scored against us and Colombia could have scored 2 or 3 late on yesterday when they were actually pressing for a goal. It's the same every tournament people get hyped up over a couple of ordinary performances. The only difference this time is we won't have to play a quality team who the majority of the time will beat us until at least the final, assuming we reach it.
Panama scored once when we were 6 goals up. That means nothing. Colombia could have scored 2 or 3 late on also means nothing.

Soldato
By your wisdom the Greece team that won the Euros was a great team. Portugal weren't even close to being the best team when they won the Euros 2 years ago. You also seem to be equating success in these competitions with quality but deciding that England shouldn't still be in the competition because we are rubbish...

What would you opinion be of England if we get to the final or win the WC?
Of course Greece was a great team when they won. They were tough as nails, they beat great teams and not in penalties. I guess only in England greatness is not measured by winning international trophies, complex much?

I already stated my opinion, England has one of the luckiest and easiest world cup routes ever. They can get to the finals without facing a single powerhouse. If they win then of course I'll applaud them.
your country you live in ie germany are a laughing stock. Finished rock bottom in the Group Stages. Shocking
I find it hilarious that as an Englishman you think you can effectively tease Germany. You are way too little for that on a national level. No one is ever laughing at Germany, people are just perplexed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Of course Greece was a great team when they won. They were tough as nails, they beat great teams and not in penalties. I guess only in England greatness is not measured by winning international trophies, complex much?

I already stated my opinion, England has one of the luckiest and easiest world cup routes ever. They can get to the finals without facing a single powerhouse. If they win then of course I'll applaud them.

I find it hilarious that as an Englishman you think you can effectively tease Germany. You are way too little for that on a national level. No one is ever laughing at Germany, people are just perplexed.
No but its aimed at people from Germany slagging off England when there team got smashed by Korea easily without breaking a sweat. Korea who are about the same level as Tunisia.

Soldato
The only difference this time is we won't have to play a quality team who the majority of the time will beat us until at least the final, assuming we reach it.
I think to describe Sweden and Croatia as not quality does them a disservice. Even Russia at a stretch have looked strong, they're capitalising on that home turf boost.

Take Sweden as our first game, we've picked up 2 wins in our last 10 encounters. They'll give us a hard time. They got stung by late desperation play from Germany but have looked solid in their other games.

fez

fez

Caporegime

That wasn't a great Greece team unless you compare them to previous Greece teams. They were lucky and scraped through games to win the competition. I don't think anyone is claiming this England team is one of the all time great international teams but you have a very strange criteria for what makes a quality team.

I agree, I have said that we have had a very lucky run so far but to say that we will get to the final without facing a single powerhouse isn't true. If we beat Sweden we will probably face Croatia who are a very good side.

The english are just enjoying Germany going out because its usually us in that situation of underperforming and exiting a tournament early. Everyone enjoys seeing a favourite fail. Half the world was laughing at Germany when they went out but I wouldn't take it personally. No one dislikes Germany its just a funny turn of events.

Take Sweden as our first game, we've picked up 2 wins in our last 10 encounters. They'll give us a hard time. They got stung by late desperation play from Germany but have looked solid in their other games.

Sweden aren't a good side and some of those games were England 0 - Zlatan 1 (or England 2 Zlatan 4). They are a hard working side but their quality ceiling is pretty low. We should beat them unless we dramatically underperform or they play out of their skins.

Soldato
To some degree @MZXT30 has a point though. We have been lucky and scored via set pieces and penalties and the path does look relatively easy. This reminds me of the Rugby World Cup all the way back in 2003 (Jesus, that long ago!) which we pretty much won with goal kicks rather than scoring more difficult tries. However, the strategy worked then and it may well work now.

Did laugh last night each time Kane went down and the commentators were saying how he’s learnt the game and ‘knows what to do’. Yet when the opposition went down they were dirty cheats (which to a fuller extent they really were I suppose!).

Soldato
Sweden aren't a good side and some of those games were England 0 - Zlatan 1 (or England 2 Zlatan 4). They are a hard working side but their quality ceiling is pretty low. We should beat them unless we dramatically underperform or they play out of their skins.
They've kept 3 clean sheets in 4 games. When you consider we are struggling to score from open play and Sweden aren't a bunch of hackers, it doesn't stack up as anything like an easy option. Their low quality ceiling has seen them top their group and stick 3 past a Mexico side that Brazil only put 2 away against. I really think people are underestimating Sweden, much like we underestimated Iceland 2 years ago.

Caporegime
Death threats coming in for Colombian penalty missers. I'd actually be quite scared given the previous treatment of players who have made mistakes for Colombia. Maradona can go and do one, no different than you'd expect for a cheating drug addict like him though.

I actually joked with my missus that the American ref was too scared to give Colombia a red because they would send sicarios his way when he got home!

Soldato
I must say I did wake up with a really good feeling this morning, thinking that instead of the usual moaning about being knocked out because of 'dirty' tactics and teams cheating, the boys matched and beat them at their own game. It was very...cathartic.

Good to see and England team finally wise up!

Back
Top Bottom