FIFA World Cup 2018 - Semi-finals [10/11 July] **spoilers**

Soldato
That's the first time I've felt proud of the lads when we've gone out.

It just wasn't to be.

I'll certainly be looking forward to the next major tournament and the inevitable group stage exit

Caporegime
Were people calling for Wilshere all tournament? Regardless it would’ve made **** all difference other than some less control in midfield.

Decent effort by england, a huge amount wrong in that game that should’ve been nullified by the chances Kane/Sterling/Lingard destroyed in the first half.

Maguire and Trippier were fantastic throughout.

Man of Honour
Most frustrating thing is that we’ll probably never luck out with the group/side of the draw like that again :( was our best opportunity we’re likely to get with the standard of players we’re ever likely to have

Caporegime
Classic English performance: do well enough to give us hope then lose tragically.

Still.

Can anyone really say they wouldn't have taken a Semi-Final place before the Tournament began? We did well. And it came down to a missed chance and a fumbled clearance.

We weren't thrashed, but the better side on the day won. There's a lot of positive we should take from this but with so many big teams stumbling I can't help but feel we let a golden opportunity slip betwixt our fingers.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Well done to the team I say. Sure they switched off after the 2nd half. But they went much further than anyone expected. Don’t really understand some people’s reactions to be honest.

Don
A 3 man midfield with only 1 natural midfield player is always a gamble and when the team is dead on it's feet and you're not in control of the game you're asking for trouble. One of Alli or Lingard should have come off for Dier or Delph to give us more control in midfield. Southgate's failure to see that is what cost us - we had no control in midfield from the end of the first half and Croatia were running rings around us.

Soldato
Stones was very poor for the winner, just went to sleep in those vital few seconds

Tripper is my man of the tournament followed by Maguire and Kane (for the coolness under pressure taking those pens)

I don't think we had the best full back or midfield options to be honest - Young is never a full back and Rose is ok (but was at fault for Januzaj 's goal vs Belgium) , and Trippier has done wonders on the other side but no one else on that side really to put decent crosses in

Terrible performance really. We don’t do well going ahead early. Bit similar to Iceland at the Euros.

For an inexperienced side at this level I think England did well after the goal for the rest of that half....just couldn't finish off the 4 or so other decent chances that were produced, but its positive that the chances were at least created.

Between 45-90 we were very poor all over the team , didn't really show anything (and to be fair subs should have been earlier). At least we came back into it in ET

Alll round a very good run and decent performances -

Caporegime
We were completely outplayed from half time onwards, once Croatia took control of the midfield our set pieces dried up and like I've been saying all tournament we had zero creativity from open play - one shot on target in 120mins says it all (and even that was Trippiers excellent free kick goal). We deserved to lose in normal time the way we fell apart when they inevitably equalised. It's been a fun ride but once again everyone got too carried away by a lucky win against Colombia on penalties and a decent performance against a poor Swedish side. 9/12 goals from set pieces papering over not very creative football, lost count tonight how many times we could have pushed forward but went right back to Pickford and put ourselves under pressure instead.

Last edited:
Soldato
Peaked too soon in the match. The score flattered their performance really. In comparison the Sweden match was drama free and much less calamitous.

Kudos to the England team for getting to the semi finals.

Don't think I'll be bothered to watch the playoff or final, think I'll watch Wimbledon instead.

Soldato
Offline for the last 15mins because my neighbour called.

Unfortunate result but a fantastic tournament for England. No disgrace, that's for sure.

Back
Top Bottom