Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade - Now on Steam & Epic Games

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Those people who bought the PC Steam version, Can you share you thoughts on the Game so far. Is it Stutter free. Have you had any issues?
I only had time to play it for about 15 minutes. Maxed out everything at 120fps. Though I may play it at 60fps as I am playing with a PS5 controller and it feels fluid enough. The big plus is at 60fps my 3070 uses around 95w and CPU about 60w :D

The game has been buttery smooth in the time I played it.

Soldato
I only had time to play it for about 15 minutes. Maxed out everything at 120fps. Though I may play it at 60fps as I am playing with a PS5 controller and it feels fluid enough. The big plus is at 60fps my 3070 uses around 95w and CPU about 60w :D

The game has been buttery smooth in the time I played it.
Which resolution are you using? If you can't maintain 120 FPS then the game will dynamically lower the resolution without telling you (sometimes severely), that's the main issue with the port. However, I think the port has been improved significantly since release as I can maintain 90FPS at 4K (except for some cutscenes) with an RTX 3080 FE without any problems. Yes there is some stutter in towns, but I've seen much worse from other games.

Aside from this it looks amazingly good; I have been very impressed with the story, gameplay and graphics and rather envious of PlayStation owners (I bought the game on Epic quite recently).

I loved the PC version of FF7 as a young teenager (although I suspect my rather faint memories of it are tinged by rose-tinted glasses), but this remake is bold and interesting; it oozes quality.

Edit: the above may have changed as the patch notes say 'the resolution has been stabilised for framerates above 90', whatever that means.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Which resolution are you using? If you can't maintain 120 FPS then the game will dynamically lower the resolution without telling you (sometimes severely), that's the main issue with the port. However, I think the port has been improved significantly since release as I can maintain 90FPS at 4K (except for some cutscenes) with an RTX 3080 FE without any problems. Yes there is some stutter in towns, but I've seen much worse from other games.

Aside from this it looks amazingly good; I have been very impressed with the story, gameplay and graphics and rather envious of PlayStation owners (I bought the game on Epic quite recently).

I loved the PC version of FF7 as a young teenager (although I suspect my rather faint memories of it are tinged by rose-tinted glasses), but this remake is bold and interesting; it oozes quality.
I am using 3440x1440. Unless later parts of the game are more demanding than the beginning then that should not be the case as 100% of the GPU is not being utilised to maintain 120fps. At 60fps it uses 90ish Watts which in its self is not even half the power a 3070 uses when being used 100%.

I have replayed FF7 around 3 times since release. It holds up well enough imo. There are loads of mods to improve backgrounds and characters. You can mod it to look awesome.

I tell you one that did not hold up well for me, FF X. That is where the turn based machanics changed I think and game became very linear. I remember enjoying it on release. But replaying it about 5 years ago was a let down.

Soldato
Had a quick bash, I was getting some annoying stutters and had to force DX11 to get rid of them. Maybe there are other workarounds. Other than that, it's great so far. The only problem is that GPU is hovering around 50-60% usage but the temps are pretty high, higher than in some other games that push the card more.

It's a shame but I haven't played the original VII either (only for like 2-3h, IIRC) but I'll fix that at some point. Not bothered by the graphics too much.

Soldato
OP
Had a quick bash, I was getting some annoying stutters and had to force DX11 to get rid of them. Maybe there are other workarounds. Other than that, it's great so far. The only problem is that GPU is hovering around 50-60% usage but the temps are pretty high, higher than in some other games that push the card more.

Have read this is happening to some people. There's a post on Steam with a few things besides DX11

-enable dx11 (right click the game in steam -> properties -> type "-force -dx11" into startup commands)
-turn the shadow resolution to low (this almost doesn't change anything)
-install the Dynamic Resolution Disabler Mod from Nexusmods
-Go to the Nvidia Control Panel and enable V-Sync, and set the low latency mode to "Ultra"

Soldato
Have read this is happening to some people. There's a post on Steam with a few things besides DX11

-enable dx11 (right click the game in steam -> properties -> type "-force -dx11" into startup commands)
-turn the shadow resolution to low (this almost doesn't change anything)
-install the Dynamic Resolution Disabler Mod from Nexusmods
-Go to the Nvidia Control Panel and enable V-Sync, and set the low latency mode to "Ultra"

Thanks, forcing -dx11 seems to have done the trick on its own in my case, hope this helps others who have encountered stuttering.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Does HDR work on DX11? I think I read that it does not. I have been fine with what little I played so far. It looks very nice in HDR and I would not give that up easily.

Soldato
Does HDR work on DX11? I think I read that it does not. I have been fine with what little I played so far. It looks very nice in HDR and I would not give that up easily.

It doesn't, I'm still on SDR so nothing changes for me but it's certainly a bad solution for people with HDR displays so I'd look into those other workarounds posted if someone experiences stuttering.

Reactions: TNA
Soldato
Those with stuttering, what CPU do you have? I noticed the game pushes the CPU very hard in terms of temperature and maybe it's using the extra cores of my 3900X to compile shaders in real time. I do still get some stuttering that is not present on PlayStation but it is very moderate and much better than many other offenders. I am using the Epic version.

I remember that Final Fantasy XV had the worst stuttering I've ever seen in the first major city and that was the Steam version (it was freezing for seconds at a time), people at the time said it could be a problem with Steam itself.

Soldato

It's a shame but I haven't played the original VII either (only for like 2-3h, IIRC) but I'll fix that at some point. Not bothered by the graphics too much.
I limit framerate to 90FPS rather than 120 on my RTX 3080 FE for this reason, otherwise it starts to sound like a jet engine and particularly in this hot weather.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Those with stuttering, what CPU do you have? I noticed the game pushes the CPU very hard in terms of temperature and maybe it's using the extra cores of my 3900X to compile shaders in real time. I do still get some stuttering that is not present on PlayStation but it is very moderate and much better than many other offenders.
I have mine limited to 60fps and my 5900X barely breaks a sweat. Even at 120fps I don’t recall CPU getting hot, but my GPU fans did ramp up.

Soldato
I have mine limited to 60fps and my 5900X barely breaks a sweat. Even at 120fps I don’t recall CPU getting hot, but my GPU fans did ramp up.
Strange, it's about as demanding on my CPU as a run of Cinebench. My CPU gets into the mid 70s C which is fine but much higher than most other games that are mid 60s C.

It definitely makes my GPU fans ramp up too (the FE is a decent cooler but not the best as it's only two slots).

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Strange, it's about as demanding on my CPU as a run of Cinebench. My CPU gets into the mid 70s C which is fine but much higher than most other games that are mid 60s C.

It definitely makes my GPU fans ramp up too (the FE is a decent cooler but not the best as it's only two slots).
Try 60fps and watch fans ramp down and temps go down :)

Soldato
I limit framerate to 90FPS rather than 120 on my RTX 3080 FE for this reason, otherwise it starts to sound like a jet engine and particularly in this hot weather.

My 2070S runs pretty hot even at 60fps and it doesn't even exceed 60-70% load most of the time. High ambient temp certainly doesn't help here either.

Regarding your CPU question, I'm on a 12700KF and I don't think it was pushed particularly hard but I'll switch back to DX12 later to have a proper look, overlay doesn't work in DX11.

Back
Top Bottom