Final Fantasy VII - "Remake"

Soldato
So are people not allowed to be disappointed in something they've waited years for of something?

Personally if the combat is like FF12 or Xenoblade then I'd probably enjoy. I'll still be a bit disappointed though.

Soldato
SE strike again imo.

To those saying its a no lose situation, if they kill it (they will try their hardest) it's a massive missed opportunity for fans. This will have little of the charm the original one had.

Will wait and see but I for one hate the direction it's going.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You know it will be the cool little side stuff that gets cut too. :(

This might be one to buy when it's all done and you have a full idea of what's actually in or not.

Soldato
I'm deff in the camp of - if this game looked like it does, but had the original battle system it would completely ruin it. I loved the original, and for me it's perfectly playable today even with the dated graphics.
So to just remake it exactly IMO would be wasted opportunity. I want the experience to be different - even if it's not better, or maybe even not as good - at least my experience as I walk around revelling in the nostalgia of the environments will be different this time.

As said though - what content is cut and what makes it in is going to make or break this game for me.
Look forward to seeing more as it develops

Soldato
Looks like a generic hack and slash with a final fantasy skin.

Seems awful.
Definitely not hack and slash. It's going to be JRPG combat, just the modern 'active' style instead of the classic style that defined the older, better Final Fantasies.

So anyways, some implications of this episodic BS:

- I see a lot of people saying this means we get 'the game' sooner. Well no, it doesn't. It means we get a piece of the game sooner. But then it gives Square the license to take even LONGER for the whole thing to be completed. So no, this is not a positive to me.

- Overall cost of the full experience is likely to be well above $60, so again, not a positive. Anybody who thinks they are going to put out $20 episodes are kidding themselves. This is being given full AAA treatment with big timescales involved.

- This affects design decisions. Granted, we had multiple discs in the original release, so this kind of thing wouldn't be unprecedented, but it still allows them to make more fundamental, terrible changes to the design of the game, like cutting out the overworld exploration(at least in the sense that we know/remember it).

Honestly, they may as well start thinking about the inevitable 4K Remaster version for the Playstation 5. Not even exaggerating there. This game will likely be complete near or after the next gen consoles come out in 2019 or so.

And it's such a terrible strategy for a game that isn't 100+ hours long. We're going to get a game no bigger/longer than many other RPG's, but since Square has the most incompetent management when it comes to making things on a reasonable schedule, this is what they feel they have to do to make it work. Just sad.

Really, I truly feel that this is nothing more than a game *based* on FFVII. Not the proper Remake people were asking for. So many people are defending their choices now, but nobody asked for this crap. Square has lost my trust in 'knowing what the fans want' quite a while ago and they aren't really doing much to suggest I can start trusting them again with this. The direction of FFXV isn't exactly fantastic either, taking road trips in a car with your boy band-looking buddies.

Just.....I cant express how disappointing this has all been. And I should have known. Square is not what they used to be. Letting them put their hands on legendary materials to 'do over' was probably not a great idea.

Caporegime
I can just sense it's going to be awful, I mean how do you handle the fact that the world map has lots of different areas you can go to, Oh hang on a minute, you can't travel here because that's part of Episode 4 which is 3 years away.....erm...great.

Soldato
Final Fantasy VII Remake?

gallery_3406_853_429.jpeg

Episodic?

And_its_gone_original.jpg

Soldato
Episodic that's quite a big shame. Ill wait till there all out before touching it.
Good thing there's nothing wrong with the original and the outdated graphics don't put me off one bit.

Soldato
I can see why there going episodic because the game is simply just too big. To create everything from the original would take 5 plus years or something. I mean it was much easier with prerendered backgrounds but turning all that into an updated 3d world is a huge undertaking. I just hope they don't ruin it by doing it part by part. I have a feeling a lot of the charm of the original will be gone. The only upside that will save time is the fact the story is already laid out so no time wasted on the plot.

Last edited:
Soldato
Episodic? Definitely an instant turn off, glad i just bought the port i'll get to keep my nostalgia and memories of a decent game. I am definitely in the "meh" camp now, will see how it ends up but enthusiasm for it has considerably lowered now. :(

Soldato
A little more info from Neogaf. Its the summary of a recent interview basically.

Quick stuff from interviews

-they made multi-release since they would have to cut stuff out if they made it in one game. The detail of the game will be so dense, and you will be able to go to various locations within Midgar that you couldn't go before.
-there will be some stuff that has to be cut, but there will be lots of stuff added. overall volume will be big
-They are working with various companies outside, including CC2
-The battle system is real-time, action feel. The degree of action will be "Dissidia > Kingdom Hearts> FF7 remake" It will be more tactical.
-Although it's action style, it has ATB as well.
-You can control other party members, but you can keep control of just one if you want
-3 party members at a time like the original

-Character model is supervised by Visual Work's director.
-They don't want to go with 100% realism for the characters since it might make it hard to recognize certain characters. So they are going as real as possible, while keeping the character's personality.
-Advent Children model data is over 10 years old so they can't really use it.
-Everything from the trailer (excluding the stuff that was shown from E3 reveal) was real-time. The end scene where Cloud gets off the train, it transitions directly to the gameplay.
-Cloud looking sick is partly due to the lighting. Nojima likes that Cloud looks very sick.
-Cross-dressing is obviously in the game, but Nomura didn't design it yet.
-All the party member's design is renewed like Barret.
-At first they thought of going with AC design of Barret, but decided not to.
-ATB and Limit gauge is there but they are different from the original. ATB turning red is something important.
-Battle tempo will be similar to Dissidia. Battle is done by people who have experience in both Dissidia and Kingdom Hearts..

Last edited:
Soldato
Not too sure about content that's been added, might as well of not cut anything from the original. And yet its episodic so they can make the game dense, but are still cutting stuff.
Trying to think what I would cut from the original but I honestly don't think I can. Maybe the rts bit of fort condor, think it wasn't very well done, but I really am stretching here.

Back
Top Bottom